Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Note: if you have not read the Mistborn series, and there is the slightest chance that you will, please don't read the spoilered parts! You will RUIN what is, in my opinion, one of the coolest surprises in the series for yourself.

"...for he must not be allowed to release the thing that is imprisoned there."

Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn: The Well of Ascension

I love this line. I could probably put any line from a Sanderson Avalanche here, but this one is such a succinct summation of the Avalanche for the book, I still get chills when rereading the series. For those who haven't read anything by him, Brandon Sanderson's writing has two defining characteristics. First, his magic systems are all various levels of great. Second is the Sanderson Avalanche; the man spends the first three quarters or more of a book setting the reader up - characters doing little things that seem at the time to be kind of random, maybe as simple characterization, other characters who seem to have little to no purpose, etc - and then the last bit of the book is spent rapidly tying off every loose thread, including the ones you didn't even notice until you saw how they played out.

In this case, the quote comes from the header of the last pre-epilogue chapter. All of them have the headers, which actually tell a story all their own. Specifically, they're what one of the main characters finds engraved into a sheet of metal. The inscription starts, roughly, "I pound these words into steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted." The character is short on time, so rather than read the whole thing right then, he takes a rubbing of the inscription for later study. However, something happens to change the words on the rubbing, which directly leads to everything going straight to hell by the third book in the trilogy. The fact that the second to last chapter is the first time the reader gets the unadulterated version of that bit just adds to the "oh poo poo" factor.

Sorry for the mass of spoilers, but I did want to explain why I picked that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

I'm glad someone caught that :)

• Locked thread