Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fruition
Feb 1, 2014
"The book fascinated him, or more exactly it reassured him. In a sense it told him nothing that was new, but that was part of the attraction. It said what he would have said, if it had been possible for him to set his scattered thoughts in order. It was the product of a mind similar to his own, but enormously more powerful, more systematic, less fear-ridden. The best books, he perceived, are those that tell you what you know already."
-1984, George Orwell

When I first read this passage I almost threw the book across the room. Such an insanely simple idea but it blew my mind, it was the first time I had ever truly observed my own consciousness.

"Some people never observe anything. Life just happens to them. They get by on little more than a kind of dumb persistence, and they resist with anger and resentment anything that might lift them out of that false serenity."
-Dune, Frank Herbert

"There is probably no more terrible instance of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man — with human flesh."
-Dune, Frank Herbert

I just finished reading "Dune" for the first time and the book lived up to all the hype++
I think I probably ended up reading the book twice, going back to re-read a chapter or few pages to experience the nuance and beauty of the story again and again. That being said, there are too many good quotes that caught me in a moment of awe...I feel as though I read this book at the absolute perfect time in my life as I wouldn't have appreciated the political, religious, philosphical, and psychological genius in my early twenties.

“The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but your thoughts about it.”
-A New Earth: Awakening Your Life's Purpose, Eckart Tolle

“Anything that you resent and strongly react to in another is also in you.”

"The ego isn't wrong; it's just unconscious. When you observe the ego in yourself, you are beginning to go beyond it. Don't take the ego too seriously. When you detect egoic behavior in yourself, smile. At times you may even laugh. How could humanity have been taken in by this for so long? Above all, know that the ego isn't personal. It isn't who you are. If you consider the ego to be your personal problem, that's just more ego."

I can't recommend this book enough, truly a life altering experience. I feel like this book was an operator's manual to my own mind. I didn't appreciate much his comments on eastern medicine as a potential alternative to treating infectious disease, but all other psychological analysis of human consciousness I found to be incredible insightful.

fruition fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread