Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Heave posted:

Mash-ups

I didn't think you'd ever get 12 year-old, 18 year-old, and 29 year-old me to agree on something, but that In the End/ All-Star mashup was pretty goddamn great.

Also, gently caress you, I'm listening to mash-ups on youtube again. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
It's finally happening, the episode you've all been waiting for.

Episode 15: gently caress You Guys Uncut | Cut

Supplemental Viewing
MIckey Mouse is walking train wreck
Orbital Mechanics in Just Cause 2

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
God I love that reveal so much

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
That reveal is definitely the best part of the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Funny thing is I actually called that reveal before I even played this game. My logic was thus: Daxter fell into a vat of precursor runoff to become an Ottsel. There aren't any other Ottsels in the world that were known of at the time, and the precursors were a dead race so no-one knew what they actually looked like. Also, the only reason it would have done something that specific woul;d have been if the precursors and ottsels were related somehow. Honestly it was a conclusion I jumped to as a joke then realised it kinda worked.

Edit: Actually, thinking on it that logic didn't actually come into play. I just figured I wouldn't be surprised if that was what a precursor looked like, then was taken aback when it actually was. Kept the logic because I like making sense of nonsensical twists :P

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 13, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I was mostly having the videos run in the background, but I saw that scene where Jak looks through some weird mechanism and there's a flash of light and some people congratulating him. He kind of looked at Daxter and was confused. Pretty much knew what's what since.

So what, one video ago?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's even better when you realize that Seem basically spoiled the reveal with her line about "seeing the face of her creators", she thanked Daxter specifically for it.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

It's even better when you realize that Seem basically spoiled the reveal with her line about "seeing the face of her creators", she thanked Daxter specifically for it.

Aw, I was just about to post that, but yeah. They do foreshadow the twist a fair amount in this game but it's still an amazing twist.

Plus the reveal that Jak is the little kid, who carries the symbol of the house of Mar, who is Damos' son, who is MAR, THE GREAT WARRIOR RESPONSIBLE FOR CREATING THE EMPIRE THAT CAME BEFORE.

And then they never made a follow up where you, y'know, go and do that.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Aw, I was just about to post that, but yeah. They do foreshadow the twist a fair amount in this game but it's still an amazing twist.

Plus the reveal that Jak is the little kid, who carries the symbol of the house of Mar, who is Damos' son, who is MAR, THE GREAT WARRIOR RESPONSIBLE FOR CREATING THE EMPIRE THAT CAME BEFORE.

And then they never made a follow up where you, y'know, go and do that.

I've always interpreted the reveal that Jak's birthname is Mar as Damas just naming his son in honor of his ancestor. Not that at some point Jak is going to go back in time again and build Haven City. Otherwise Jak is his own grandfather or something. Though it is left unclear by the game.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Gruckles posted:

I've always interpreted the reveal that Jak's birthname is Mar as Damas just naming his son in honor of his ancestor. Not that at some point Jak is going to go back in time again and build Haven City. Otherwise Jak is his own grandfather or something. Though it is left unclear by the game.

If I remember I will address this after the ending cutscene has been posted, if Heave and Kalon don't hit on it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose it's just as well that Veger immediately jumped to consume the power source larger than his head. Not sure how many of the existing game mechanics would actually work with an Ottsel Jak, though there is an awful lot of driving so maybe it wouldn't be that different?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Mostly, he'd need a smaller Morph Gun.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
It's been years since I played it, but I think this game has a commentary mode, and one of the things they mention is that the Precursor reveal was a nod to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where it turned out mice were extradimensional superintelligences. The Precursors also don't have proper names for themselves; the one with the thing on his head is just called 'Surfer Ottsel' if I remember right.

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 17, 2015

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
Heave asked me to post in his thread because he wanted a bump. Heave is a real jerk.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ironslave posted:

It's been years since I played it, but I think this game has a commentary mode, and one of the things they mention is that the Precursor reveal was a nod to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, where it turned out mice were extradimensional superintelligences. The Precursors also don't have proper names for themselves; the one with the thing on his head is just called 'Surfer Ottsel' if I remember right.

Actually the one with the thing on his head is Ottsel Dummy, Surfer Ottsel's the one with who talks like a surfer.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 21, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Catching up on the LP. Liking it so far. It's pretty fun to revisit this old series after not playing it for a long time. Made me pick up the HD collection and start playing through it on the side.

Oh, also, Ape, was that "Light Jak fighter of the Dark Jak" thing a reference to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Nightman Cometh?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Covok posted:

Catching up on the LP. Liking it so far. It's pretty fun to revisit this old series after not playing it for a long time. Made me pick up the HD collection and start playing through it on the side.

Oh, also, Ape, was that "Light Jak fighter of the Dark Jak" thing a reference to It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Nightman Cometh?

Hell yes it was.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Hell yes it was.
I appreciated it.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Episode 16: From Inside the House Uncut | Cut

Sorry for this one being late, first there were audio issues, then I got sick.

This wraps up the game, but don't go anywhere, there's more content still to come. Next video this weekend.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As I understand it, the Precursor Ottsels wanted to wipe out all the Dark Maker Terraformers before Errol could awaken them and destroy the planet so the Ottsels sent Jak to stop Errol from awakening any of the Terraformers before the ship was destroyed taking them with it.

Only the one that Errol took control over survived the destruction of the Dark Maker ship.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

So Keira really was useless after the first game right? They even included a different romantic interest. A forced interest, but still.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Kiera was an actual character in two. She was the mechanic for the hoverbike races, give us the jet board, and rebuilt the rift rider which allowed the whole stable time loop nonsense to happen. So she was legitimately important.

Then in Jak 3 she had five lines. Literally. I checked in a transcript of the game. Two of the lines weren't even in person, but over the communicator.

The Heavenator fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 26, 2015

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

did they ever explain why she was shafted so much in 3? It always stuck me as an odd choice

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I suppose if you're juggling all these characters, especially the new Wastelanders, then some just get shafted. And you might also forget about a few here and there. Still, she gets a bit more to say in Jak X... I think. Been a while since I played that game. And we'll find out about her role in the Lost Frontier when Heave does his eventual LP of it.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Crosspeice posted:

I suppose if you're juggling all these characters, especially the new Wastelanders, then some just get shafted. And you might also forget about a few here and there. Still, she gets a bit more to say in Jak X... I think. Been a while since I played that game. And we'll find out about her role in the Lost Frontier when Heave does his eventual LP of it.

She does have more of a presence in Jak X. They even have a gag ref to the weird flopping love interest stuff.

Edit: and you bastards forget the best part of the no-longer canon expanded universe: The Mofference

Ironslave fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 26, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There was a dispute with Keira's voice actress.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

But in Jak 3 she's voiced by the much more famous and popular Tara Strong, so why they didn't give her an expanded role is beyond me.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

FactsAreUseless posted:

But in Jak 3 she's voiced by the much more famous and popular Tara Strong, so why they didn't give her an expanded role is beyond me.

Probably happened too late in production for them to significantly change the changes they'd made to adjust for it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ironslave posted:

Probably happened too late in production for them to significantly change the changes they'd made to adjust for it.
That would make sense.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
You know I just got around to finishing the original Jak and Daxter and got the weirdest glitch in the Citadel. I saved and quit at the beginning of the level intending to do it later then when I reloaded it had put me at the end of the level. Attacking the thingy released the Green Sage and played the "Now go kill the final boss" cutscene, but I was going for 100% so I had to find a way back to the bottom of the level to go through the other sages properly. Unfortunately all the cages were empty and the game locked when the cutscene for the freeing was supposed to play, so I had to reload the game after each sage. Then I got the last few collectibles and fought the final boss. Anyone else get that glitch?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

If anything The Heavenator is underselling that car phase of the final boss. It's an absolute bitch to do, especially since they force you to use the lovely car with the fixed gun so you have to drive right at the boss to shoot some of those pods and hope it doesn't kill you in the process.

It's one of the few things I actually remember about this game, other than the Precursor reveal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, I got stuck there completely.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
See, I got stuck on the Dark Maker ship, where you have to jump from platform to platform across that huge gap. I think I tried to always do it in one jump because I didn't see the platforms.

I never finished Jak 3 because of this.

I'm terrible at video games.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of terrible names, I went to school with someone named Erik Shin. Yeah.

The best part is that he was a genius so he kept winning awards so his name kept getting read out at assemblies.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You just can't keep an Erik Shin down.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

It's bonus video time.

This is just talking about all the secrets you can buy. This should have been up saturday, but holy poo poo is adobe premiere a piece of garbage.

Sketchbooks will be posted tomorrow, Jak X will go up as soon as I'm done editing it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

The Heavenator posted:

but holy poo poo is adobe premiere a piece of garbage.

Or, counterpoint, you're just stupid and dumb.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

kalonZombie posted:

Or, counterpoint, you're just stupid and dumb.

:drat:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Premiere's not great, but it's a whole lot better than iMovie or what they did to Final Cut.

Final Cut used to be good, though, so if you can get an older version I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

Let me tell you about how premiere decided to desync the audio horribly. And to cut the obvious question off at the pass, yes the raw video is constant framerate. Premiere was still desyncing even after I ran the raw video through handbrake so that the framerate was double constant.

gently caress premiere.

• Locked thread