Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I think I'm going to play some Satellite Reign, and maybe some Mount and Blade Warband if I get bored with SR's insanely long hand-holding tutorial for the second time today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm probably gonna play some MGS5 and try for a few more S-ranks, but some strategy game I pre-ordered is coming out today I think so I'm gonna play that and probably refund it

Grand Ages: Medieval? If so, how was it? I preordered that one too because I really loved Grand Ages: Rome, and the gameplay still looked pretty good once I realized that Medieval was an entirely different game in an entirely different genre by an entirely different dev team than Rome (-_-), but I won't have a chance to game until like Thursday and the user reviews were at like 44% positive last time I checked :whitewater:

Unless you're talking about a different strategy game that came out yesterday.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah. From what I've played it seems decent but apparently the combat is horrible according to Games but I havent gotten into that part yet.

Cool. The things I've read about the combat seem more like unintended issues that'll be patched out so hopefully it won't be too bad... The idea of a land-based Patrician is really cool.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Just beat MGSV. Listening to the final tapes, then either The Secret World or Grand Ages: Medieval, both of which I bought recently but haven't played yet.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm going to try the new Civilization: Beyond Earth expansion that came out today, and then maybe play Dragon Ball Xenoverse or The Witcher 3 again--the rest of my library has been neglected since MGS V came out

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

I thought vanilla BE was insane garbage, but with the expansion it's pretty good and I'm enjoying it.

I mildly enjoyed it vanilla but yeah the expansion makes it so much better. The diplomacy changes alone would have been worth the $30 and I'm excited to try one of the new hybrid affinities--I've currently got the new Middle Eastern lady on a path for Supremacy-Purity and can't wait for whatever cool transhuman stuff I get out of that.

I played it for way too long and am about to face a 16-hour workday on 3 hours of sleep lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Usenet Magic-User posted:

How did they make it better

Diplomacy got pretty well overhauled, now there's a trait system that gives each ruler more personality. Each ruler starts with one unique trait and can pick three more from a list once they have enough of the political capital currency--traits determine each rulers likes and dislikes and unlocks new agreements which are long-term bonuses you pay another Civ political capital for. So for example I'm real tight with my girl Kavitha because she has the traits where she likes high population and veteran troops, both of which I have, and she's paying me capital for an agreement where she travels faster on roads (I think? Something relating to roads anyway) that I'm turning around and spending on an agreement with her where I get extra food for each point of population in my cities. Meanwhile that Brazilian fag keeps telling me I'm a dumbass for not having a wider satellite coverage. It adds a neat dimension to the previously almost nonexistent diplomacy game, where you're sort of naturally drawn towards or away from certain other leaders depending on how the way you built your colony meshes with their traits, and the agreements give you a reason to stay with your friends without tying you to them.

Oh, and other Civ's opinions of you are now split into Respect and Fear, respect being gained or lost through those traits and the usual things that you would expect would affect their opinion of you, while fear will make them more likely to work with you if they realize you could kick their rear end (I don't know if this takes more than just military power into account).

That alone's completely revitalized the game for me, there's a ton of small quality-of-life changes too but I haven't got too far into the game just yet. I'd be interested to hear Larry's take, since he and I are coming from different perspectives re: the base game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

01011001 posted:

i really like it so far

It looks like my dream game. I almost bought it today but I've spent too much money lately on games I haven't even gotten around to playing yet. Glad you're liking it.

As for me, I just started playing Bloodborne for the first time so I'll be doing some more of that, but I'm feeling sick and woozy and might not be able to give it the concentration it needs, so maybe I'll try one of the 300 games I mentioned earlier that I haven't played yet (Grand Ages: Medieval, Offworld Trading Company, Unrest, Tales from the Borderlands, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, etc etc etc)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

01011001 posted:

it has a decent sized demo, try that out before forking over money on it

I had no idea that existed, thanks for the heads-up!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm going to finish Life is Strange tonight... really good game and I'm excited to see how it ends. After that, who knows. Maybe Grand Ages: Medieval, maybe that new Wasteland 2 Director's Cut I just realized was in my library, maybe something else... wherever the night takes me, baby.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I also chose the opposite ending from ncs and I thought it was a great ending. It was thematically appropriate and it took me by surprise but at the same time had enough grounding in earlier episodes that I felt like it shouldn't have, if that makes any sense. Really great game, I'll buy any other adventure game these guys make in a heartbeat.

Watching Max sitting there crying while listening to Nathan shoot Chloe to death really got me :(

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Grand Ages: Medieval. It's good so far.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Took the day off work for my birthday, already played a bunch of MGSV (and got my surprise Mother Base party) and am now going to the store to get Black Ops III. Hell yeah, gamers.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Got two hours left at work and I'm either going to play Fallout 4 or Fire Emblem: Awakening when I get home... leaning towards FE. Though I'll probably end up playing both and also Link Between Worlds. I'm also expecting some late bday money from my dad so if that's in the mailbox when I get back I might make a quick GameStop run for new 3DS games.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I want to play Fire Emblem: Awakening, Fantasy Life, The Sims 4, and Fallout 4, and have been paralyzed by indecision since getting home from work.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I want to play Fire Emblem: Awakening, Fantasy Life, The Sims 4, and Fallout 4, and have been paralyzed by indecision since getting home from work.

I played Fallout 4 but then was too sleepy afterwards to play any of the others :sadpeanut:

Made up for it with a ton of Fantasy Life tonight.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I rented Battlefront from a Redbox last night after the family went to bed and I'm actually having fun with it (definitely isn't worth $60, though, for sure) so I'll probably play some more of that, followed by maybe Fantasy Life, or Fire Emblem Awakening, or hell maybe Cities: Skylines now that Plutonis posted about it--I bought it forever ago, had a lot of fun for like 45 minutes, and then never played it again due to having a million other games in my library I still haven't gotten to.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Plus some folks might play a map game on a big screen with a wireless KBM or something, I could see myself doing it since I've been known to post while laying on my bed looking at a 32 inch.

There's also a huge number of games that Steam doesn't recognize as controller-enabled that controllers still work with.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Raymond Hog posted:

R6 siege js really fun

Is that one of those games where you have to plan out every move in advance with your teammates or is it like "stay close to your team, help however you can, and don't do anything stupid and you'll be okay?" I like tactical shooters but I hate closely coordinating with random jerks online.

Anyway, my 3DS has been neglected lately so I'm going to play some Fire Emblem: Awakening, and maybe some Fantasy Life, and then afterwards probably some Fallout 4 or Far Cry 4. Got a long gaming night ahead to celebrate being free from school until my next and last final on Wednesday.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fantasy Life, and then either The Sims 4 or Knights of the Old Republic.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Unguided posted:

It's a Fantasy Life Christmas.

This was the first Friday in like a month that I didn't play Fantasy Life non-stop. The game is so drat addicting.

For me, it was a night of switching constantly between Divinity: Original Sin, Star Wars: Battlefront, and Rune Factory 4.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm probably not going to be able to game tonight because I'm working a closing shift but I spent most the day playing Bloodborne until I ragequit when I got within like 3 strikes of killing the Blood-Starved Beast my first time fighting him and then died because my character refused to heal herself even though I was mashing triangle like crazy. Then I played Battlefront.

I might try to get in an hour or two of Divinity: Original Sin before I go to bed if I get off early enough but who knows.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

XCOM, in my attempt to finally beat the game before 2 comes out. Just lost this game's first soldier... RIP, Rk. Mansoor

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

More XCOM... my team is growing insanely powerful, but only after losing three of my best to a terror mission that put me up against five chrysalids and a cyberdisk on the smallest map I've ever seen with hardly any cover.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I just watched the new Star Wars and it's put me in the mood for some Battlefront.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

F-yeah, make sure you down the Battle of Jakku DLC for extra TFA feels.

Hell, I'm flying a TIE fighter above Jakku right now

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Talim was my girl, but I liked Nightmare sometimes too

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Division beta for a few hours, and I think maybe some Shantae and the Pirate's Curse before bed

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

System Requirements Lab is pessimistic about my computer's chances of running XCOM 2 and I'm too broke to buy it anyway so I'll probably play the original, and maybe Bloodborne as well. Maybe even Divinity: Original Sin, if I really want to go wild tonight.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Played some Dark Souls, just started it and I'm getting my rear end whooped by the Taurus demon... I think I'm going to restart as the scimitar guy, they seem more agile and Bloodborne-like.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rolling and movement speeds are affected only by your equip weight, FYI, so your Dex stat doesn't play into it, if you're worried about being quick and agile. All the starting classes are good in Dark Souls, but if you're playing blind I don't recommend a magic class because it's easy to miss out on magic stuff.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I finally beat him because it turns out it's a lot easier to dodge his attacks when fighting him on the bridge than on the arena on top of the tower, which seemed counterintuitive but I got mad and was trying to trick him into falling off the bridge when I suddenly realized I was having a way easier time down there and I whooped his rear end honorably without going through with my cowardly scheme.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Planetbase. It's a pretty fun little city-builder about making a colony on a distant planet from what I played last night. I probably set a record for quickest game over last night when I made a solar panel to power the oxygen generator and got too busy building dorms and canteens and stuff to remember to build the rest of the power system so all my colonists asphyxiated <5 minutes into the game when the sun set and the oxygen generator shut down. Hopefully the next colony goes smoother.

I'll probably also play some Endless Legend now that I've finally gotten it to not crash every time it finishes loading a game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

that looked interesting, but the steam reviews were insanely negative

I think it was Early Access at one point so that may have been early in development, it's at like 79% positive now. I'm enjoying it a lot but it can be pretty frustrating because in the early game the littlest misstep will completely gently caress you up and force you to restart. Which is actually kinda cool, I think, not many city builders are difficult per se, it makes it more satisfying when your colony does get on its feet and can survive things that would have completely ruined you earlier, and honestly building a space colony should be brutal, but I think I've witnessed the complete and total collapse of my colony enough for one night and am moving on to Endless Legend now.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I ended up playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (only meant to play it up to a save point so I could turn it off because I realized my 3DS had been on sleep mode with Shantae suspended for like a week but the game's so fun I played for like an hour and a half anyway) and Dawn of Discovery/Anno 1404 last night instead of Endless Legend like I said I would, so now I'm making up for it by actually playing Endless Legend tonight.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm going to try and finish up Until Dawn tonight so I can get it back to the Redbox before it charges me again. I'm liking it a lot, I think I'm going to buy it proper once the price goes down some to see how things would play out if I made different choices/didn't gently caress up on QTEs and such. The game's surprisingly unforgiving for a storygame, I lost two characters once because I was shifting in my seat to a more comfortable position, causing me to fail a "don't move!" QTE before I even realized it was happening.

After that, I think maybe Pillars of Eternity or possibly one of the Endless games.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Just beat Until Dawn and next I think Fire Emblem Awakening so I can beat it and get Fates.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm still at work for another hour but I'm already thinking about Pillars of Eternity.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Mods: let's have it so that anyone who posts about going on a date or whatever is probated. It's off topic, and frankly, no one cares. Anyone can have sex. Cavemen had sex. But only a small percentage of humanity will ever know the joys of completing dark souls on a Friday night.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

More Pillars of Eternity. I'm having a lot more fun with my Pale Elf ranger lady than I was with the paladin I started my first game with. Also apparently there's permadeath in the new Babytown Frolics mode which I wasn't expecting. RIP, Durance, died in a sewer because you sucked in battle and your writing was worse so I didn't feel like reloading for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm going to play Pillars of Eternity, or maybe Cities: Skylines when I'm done with work. I will not be having sex.