Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Gildiss posted:

Bruce's retirement tweet

I could also see Bruce saying that just because he's so exasperated with the situation. If Netflix or another production company pursued Bruce, Raimi, et al. for a 4th season I think it would happen. But at this point I'd guess Bruce is just tired with having to be one of the people developing momentum for the show having gotten off the ground. The thought of having to go through all that AGAIN (I get the impression it was a herculean effort) and that's why he says it's time to hang up the chainsaw and shotgun. He's changed his mind before so who knows??

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I'd honestly jump on a Series 4 in a heartbeat and I know that Sam, Bruce, Rob et al would make it work without even trying but this was such a perfect way to see Ash off into becoming the mythical figure of the Necronomicon that I'm not sure that S4 would be the best move.

For the first time in TV history, I'm really loving torn between what we got and what I want. Other than the missing closure for Pablo, Kelly (I'm really glad she's alive again at the end) and Brandy, I'm content with an ending that lets us run wild with imagination and left Ash's legacy as something as legendary as what's in the book itself.

Hail to the King, baby!

I agree. I'll have to watch it again, but the ending did feel very satisfying to me. I think Ash's conclusion was well done, the rest of the cast not so much.

Here's to my 3rd watch of the series! Already up to S01E04 "Brujo" and it still feels fresh to me.

For someone who has become a late-ish fan of ED, what other Bruce Campbell media should I consume? Are his books worth a read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Brisco County Jr. if you give even a slight bit of poo poo about cowboys, maybe even if you don't.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Hero posted:

I could also see Bruce saying that just because he's so exasperated with the situation. If Netflix or another production company pursued Bruce, Raimi, et al. for a 4th season I think it would happen. But at this point I'd guess Bruce is just tired with having to be one of the people developing momentum for the show having gotten off the ground. The thought of having to go through all that AGAIN (I get the impression it was a herculean effort) and that's why he says it's time to hang up the chainsaw and shotgun. He's changed his mind before so who knows??

I agree. I'll have to watch it again, but the ending did feel very satisfying to me. I think Ash's conclusion was well done, the rest of the cast not so much.

Here's to my 3rd watch of the series! Already up to S01E04 "Brujo" and it still feels fresh to me.

For someone who has become a late-ish fan of ED, what other Bruce Campbell media should I consume? Are his books worth a read?

Bubba Ho-Tep has one of his better performances.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Bubba Ho-Tep has one of his better performances.

Bubba Ho-Tep is fantastic. It’s a surprisingly meaningful film about being old and forgotten and Bruce does an amazing job portraying a broken-down, tired old Elvis. Plus Don Coscarelli of Phantasm fame directs, it’s a must-watch.

(Ossie Davis rules as well but it’s hard to explain why without spoiling the best joke in the movie.)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Davros1 posted:

He'll be 60 in June. I think the level of splatstick he goes through isn't as easy as to get over as it was in his twenties.

This is kind of what I'm thinking. Did he do all his own stunt work?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was a fun and suitably epic satisfying ending to the franchise. Like I definitely am left feeling a little empty about the lack of closure for Pablo, Kelly, and Brandy (who I really took to over the season and enjoyed as part of the team) but damned if that wasn't the perfect thematic ending for the series.

Hail to the king, baby.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wild T posted:

Bubba Ho-Tep is fantastic. It’s a surprisingly meaningful film about being old and forgotten and Bruce does an amazing job portraying a broken-down, tired old Elvis. Plus Don Coscarelli of Phantasm fame directs, it’s a must-watch.

(Ossie Davis rules as well but it’s hard to explain why without spoiling the best joke in the movie.)

Yeah the great thing is Campbell takes the smarminess he usually has and refines it into this genuine core of bitterness and regret that drives the character.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I have mixed feelings. On one hand like someone else here said, can't help but to feel fortunate to have gotten 3 seasons or in a weird way almost a few films worth more of evil dead. Bruce still has it and the series has been a lot of fun. It is good that it got something of an ending. Even though I wouldn't call it a super satisfying one, it is clear this was meant to be a crazy launching off point that fortunately sort of works as a sendoff. Pablo and Kelly barely got anything.

Either way, finishing this brewski in Ash's honor. Sure I will go back through this series again in the near future.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

unlawfulsoup posted:

I have mixed feelings. On one hand like someone else here said, can't help but to feel fortunate to have gotten 3 seasons or in a weird way almost a few films worth more of evil dead. Bruce still has it and the series has been a lot of fun. It is good that it got something of an ending. Even though I wouldn't call it a super satisfying one, it is clear this was meant to be a crazy launching off point that fortunately sort of works as a sendoff. Pablo and Kelly barely got anything.

Either way, finishing this brewski in Ash's honor. Sure I will go back through this series again in the near future.
:same:

Anti-Hero posted:

Yeah, he got asked about more ED for over 20 years, he probably just doesn't want to have to go through that all over again. So if the show got picked up by someone else, he probably wouldn't say no. I don't think it's gonna happen though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Capn Beeb posted:

This is kind of what I'm thinking. Did he do all his own stunt work?

He might have done some, but that was absolutely not Bruce Campbell sliding over the car bonnet in this week's finale.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
An amazing series finale in so many ways, but drat it all if this isn't a new top contender for wishing it had an hour to let loose beyond the normal half hour constraints---if only for the Epilogue alone.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Anti-Hero posted:

If you appreciate the silliness of this show you should check out the audiobook of Making Love the Bruce Campbell Way read by the man himself. It goes places.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm glad that they managed to end Bruce Campbell's Ash run by reprising both sides of the Army of Darkness ending.

Ride forever, shiny and chrome, on the Deadite Road!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why is it that a small viewership cable show like AvED had gore FX that were, in my opinion, so much better than so many theatrical horror films? Is it because in the world we live in that subscription cable projects actually get a lot more budget than theatrical movies (particularly if they are horror)? Or are the producers and FX people just that much better for AvED?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
A lot of it, I think, is because Movies are aiming for an PG13/15 viewer rating to get maximum numbers through the doors, since that demo is the main theatre crowd these days. or at least, that's what they THINK the main theatre crowd is.

While cable doesn't have to worry about what they can show in general, but also the target audience for AvED are fans of the original, who are either expecting an 18 movie level of gore, at the very least, and most likely also well over the age of 18. So gently caress it, why use discretion shots with shadows and cutting away at the last second. The Evil dead films didn't exactly have a high gore budget themselves, it's surprising what you can do with some red dye, liquid latex and what you can scrounge from the local butcher.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a combination of the staff not compromising and not being on a movie shooting schedule.

One of the most infamous things in the past few years was The Thing remake. Elaborate practical effects were created for many of the film's pivotal scenes, but working with practical effects is fussy and takes time to setup and most directors have no patience for it.

Specifically, there was a scene in The Thing remake where a guy split in half and they were going to basically do it in-camera with a rig and then just add a few CGI enhancements later.

Well, they were trying to get it just right, but the director gave up after a few takes and said that they would fix it in post. What made it into the movie was a CGI abomination.

You get a hint of that with the behind the scenes stuff after the episodes. In the first episode with the harp slicing, they said it took them forever to get the face to splay out perfectly. On most films they wouldn't even try, shooting time is expensive and if they can't get the shot quickly or if they have to halt everything to setup an elaborate rig, they are going to go pure CGI.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Sad to see it go, but they gave it a great end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Finale was perfect, glad to see things wrap up in such a satisfying way.

I was getting a bit emotional at the end as well, which seemed pretty weird when I thought about it because as of like 3 years ago ED was just another horror franchise that had come to an end multiple decades ago. It never felt like something that I was anticipating a return for at all, this show popping up was a completely unexpected pleasant surprise. So I guess the fact that I'm having an emotional reaction to it ending shows how fantastic a job they did of really making it feel, at least overall, like a truly worthy addition to Ash's story. It really was an impressive accomplishment by everyone involved.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's my takeaway. I can be sad that its gone but I'm just happy that in hindsight we got three fun seasons when I had closed the door on this franchise a long time ago.

And yeah, I think its great that from here on out when I think of Evil Dead I'll think of Pablo, Kelly, Ruby, and Brandy as part of it. They did a great job of making this work with the movies in a way that honestly could have bombed badly.

Like its a different genre but I'm looking at the news of another season and rehashing of Arrested Development and I have a ton of trepidation about it and am unsure if its a good idea. This easily could have gone bad so its awesome we got three years of something as good as we did.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That ending was one of the Army of Darkness endings right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That does seem to be the implication/gag, yeah. In one of the endings he oversleeps and wakes up in a post apocalyptic future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j42eaiLdBTY

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

That does seem to be the implication/gag, yeah. In one of the endings he oversleeps and wakes up in a post apocalyptic future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j42eaiLdBTY

That's the only ending I ever saw.
It was a great series overall and I'm glad we got what we have.
Also lol at the goggles outline on Bruce's face as he gets into the tank.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
I know it was useless against kaiju deadite but I missed the chainsaw.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ugh, I'm in mourning even though this was the worst season and it only really picked up in the last half, which I finally watched last night.

Great ending though.

Anybody watching Stan Against Evil?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, it was a little rocky at first, but quickly finds an IFC quirky groove.

Don't go in expecting Evil Dead lite or anything, it's not really the same type of show past the superficial stuff.

The cast is fantastic.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Clamknuckle posted:

I know it was useless against kaiju deadite but I missed the chainsaw.

I was shocked when the chainsaw bought it. That guy was a cast member, drat it.

I did like the buildup of Ash losing his saw then passing the boomstick on to Brandy. It was setting up a finale where Ash discovers he doesn’t need his weapons to fight Evil, the power has been inside of him the entire hahaha just kidding here’s a loving tank.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Glad I half-called the tank. Yes on Ash, no on Kelly.

I honestly thought they were going to go with an "Ash gets hosed" ending where he killed the monster then the aforementioned nuclear missile drops on top of him, which would have been dark but entirely also fitting. But as someone who likes the theatrical AOD ending way more than the director's cut ending, the series ending was PERFECT.

Anti-Hero posted:

It was absolutely perfect. I did not think they could wrap this series in a way that'd leave me satisfied in 30 minutes but holy gently caress they did it. It's a complete show, with a proper ending, miracle of miracles! I'd liked more of an ending for the rest of the cast but Ash's story ended pitch perfect.

Anti-Hero posted:

The Xbox Game (original Xbox) where it picks up after Evil Dead 2 ignoring AOD with Ash in a mental asylum was a lot of fun. It also had a little Sam Raimi sidekick half-deadite.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Still really bummed to see this show end but man it went out like a boss, seriously.

Sorry but I've seen it numerous times now and I still can't get over the unveiling of the souped-up AoD-styled Delta along to the opening of Space Truckin' because it's just so loving perfect.

Also can I say it was a bonus for me that I've been jamming to Stormbringer again for a few weeks and then this show went and used it in not just one, but two episodes in a row.

Stormbringer is a loving awesome song.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EvilTaytoMan posted:

That's the only ending I ever saw.
It was a great series overall and I'm glad we got what we have.
Also lol at the goggles outline on Bruce's face as he gets into the tank.

Wait, you missed the infamous S-Mart Ending? Really!?

Prepare yourself for the other best ending in the franchise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NmzF9pj9Yk

Half of Duke Nukem's quotes are from just this scene. A lot of people like the apocalypse ending in AoD (which was a much more hopeless tone) better but S-Mart is just so loving perfect.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 5, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QwertySanchez posted:

A lot of it, I think, is because Movies are aiming for an PG13/15 viewer rating to get maximum numbers through the doors, since that demo is the main theatre crowd these days. or at least, that's what they THINK the main theatre crowd is.

Zwabu posted:

Why is it that a small viewership cable show like AvED had gore FX that were, in my opinion, so much better than so many theatrical horror films? Is it because in the world we live in that subscription cable projects actually get a lot more budget than theatrical movies (particularly if they are horror)? Or are the producers and FX people just that much better for AvED?

FX pushes a lot of boundaries for the type of network it is, but there's no way it could do this show.

Gonna have to say Dana/Kelly does it better in that leather outfit.

"Filthy and not fine" was loving hilarious.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Blazing Ownager posted:

Wait, you missed the infamous S-Mart Ending? Really!?

Prepare yourself for the other best ending in the franchise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NmzF9pj9Yk

Half of Duke Nukem's quotes are from just this scene. A lot of people like the apocalypse ending in AoD (which was a much more hopeless tone) better but S-Mart is just so loving perfect.

That's pretty good. Anytime I saw it on tv it was always the one with the apocalypse ending, maybe its a Europe thing. :shrug:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I saw the other two but I never did see the apocalypse one, S mart works really good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

FX pushes a lot of boundaries for the type of network it is, but there's no way it could do this show.

They're talking FX as in SFX, and not the Fox channel.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

I saw the other two but I never did see the apocalypse one, S mart works really good.

You've seen two endings to AOD that aren't the apocalypse one? What else is there besides apocalypse and S Mart?

EDIT: Or by "other two", do you mean versions of the film other than the director's cut? The US version and the International version both use the S Mart ending.

Sir Nose fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 5, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I know the S Mart ending and the Apocalypse ending. Is there a third one?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

I love the S-Mart ending for its goofiness, but the apocalypse ending is more similar in tone to the bleak endings of the first two.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They're not only both appropriate to the tone of Evil Dead but its also perfectly appropriate to the tone of Evil Dead for there to be multiple endings with no consensus about which one is "canon". Evil Dead mocks your canon while it threatens to gently caress it to Hell.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zwabu posted:

Practical effects over digital. You see this in a lot of shows, and it looks much better. I'm not saying it out of nostalgia, I'm saying it just looks good.

Game of Thrones does so much practically, or with minimal digital trickery (usually cloning people or dragons). Every time a dragon lights someone on fire, they're actually using a flame suit and a flame thrower, for example. The Giants over there are literally just dudes in awesome practical makeup shot on a green screen with forced perspective; ANY film would take the "throw money at it" solution and just CGI them. Ash is no exception.

What saved the giant pure CGI monster from the finale though, and what's the other thing Ash has going for it in spades? Art design, the other side of the coin. From day 1, the art design in AvED has been top notch: There's more creative monsters here than 20 movies and video games rolled into one.

ED: They also wisely made the attack happen at night where they can hide imperfections in the monster with lighting, which is a smart move. I bet the scene would have looked far shittier at high noon. Still a monster like that = the absolutely appropriate time to bust out the CGI.

Open Source Idiom posted:

They're talking FX as in SFX, and not the Fox channel.

Doh, that makes more sense. I was pretty sleepy when I read that..

STAC Goat posted:

They're not only both appropriate to the tone of Evil Dead but its also perfectly appropriate to the tone of Evil Dead for there to be multiple endings with no consensus about which one is "canon". Evil Dead mocks your canon while it threatens to gently caress it to Hell.

It's sad to say I know many shows that are dead serious that have way less stable canon than Evil Dead if you view ED2 as the start of the series.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 5, 2018

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I know the S Mart ending and the Apocalypse ending. Is there a third one?

I can’t find it with a quick google search but I think there’s a version that’s just a shorter version of the S Mart ending. Might’ve been a TV thing or I could have just dreamt it who the gently caress knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Zwabu posted:

Man those last two episodes would make such a sweet level for a game.

Honestly, the entire last episode with the giant demon and gunning down possessed people in the street just made me remember how disappointing Hellgate: London was and how they really need to make a better version of it one day.

• Locked thread