Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

I could also see Bruce saying that just because he's so exasperated with the situation. If Netflix or another production company pursued Bruce, Raimi, et al. for a 4th season I think it would happen. But at this point I'd guess Bruce is just tired with having to be one of the people developing momentum for the show having gotten off the ground. The thought of having to go through all that AGAIN (I get the impression it was a herculean effort) and that's why he says it's time to hang up the chainsaw and shotgun. He's changed his mind before so who knows??

I agree. I'll have to watch it again, but the ending did feel very satisfying to me. I think Ash's conclusion was well done, the rest of the cast not so much.

Here's to my 3rd watch of the series! Already up to S01E04 "Brujo" and it still feels fresh to me.

For someone who has become a late-ish fan of ED, what other Bruce Campbell media should I consume? Are his books worth a read?

Jack of All Trades

He was a main supporting character in Burn Notice, and his character got a prequel TV movie The Fall of Sam Axe (Yes, his character had a great name). The show kind of spins its wheels a bit in later seasons, but overall I think it was enjoyable.

I second both Brisco County Jr. And Bubba Ho-Tep.

He also starred in a movoe called Running Time. It was a heist movie edited to make it look like it was all a single take. I haven't watched it in forever, so I don't remember too much about it.

The Man With The Screaming Brain is fun also.

My Name is Bruce was a movie about Bruce Campbell being forced into fighting an evil force, because he was Ash.

And if you can find it, he was in a TV movie version of The Love Bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Moontrap needs more love. Bruce Campbell and Chekhov from Star Trek fight killer body-snatching robots on the moon with uzis. It’s utterly terrible and great.

Best scene: the hero gets done having sex with an unfrozen Moon Woman in an inflatable tent before being attacked by a 12” robot with Bruce’s grinning mug stapled to the front.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My favorite overlooked Bruce Campbell movie is Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat where he plays a descendant of Van Helsing who heads to a desert town completely run by vampires. They isolated themselves from society and have hired scientists to create artificial plasma so they don't have to kill anymore. It's pretty nutty.

He was also in a made for tv movie called Blaze of Glory where he's a bank robber with his wife who's played by Aunt Becky from Full House.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Maniac Cop!

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
His convention Q&A and panel videos are fun too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o-TmYd1zCA

Maybe someday we'll all be lucky enough to be berated by Bruce.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Don't forget Crimewave, which is an off-the-rails hoot, or really boring, depending on your mood at the time.
And Bruce with Jennifer Jason Leigh in the Hudsucker Proxy is a delight, they are both in a different, even better movie.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
He is criminally underused in the second season of Fargo but his character is loving fantastic! (He plays Ronald Reagan)

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

TheBizzness posted:

He is criminally underused in the second season of Fargo but his character is loving fantastic! (He plays Ronald Reagan)

He also appears in the movie Fargo. In scenes from the soap opera he was on playing on TVs in the background.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I honestly did not know that!

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Its also the soap opera where he met his first wife. In If Chins Could Kill* he mentions Fargo using that clip and being satisfied to know he was “in” a movie that won Best Picture.

*Thanks to whomever recommended the audiobook for this with Bruce narrating it. It’d read it before but it’s so much better in the man’s own voice, especially when he starts doing impressions of his friends.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

bathhouse posted:

His convention Q&A and panel videos are fun too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o-TmYd1zCA

Maybe someday we'll all be lucky enough to be berated by Bruce.

I met Bruce when he signed my copy of Make Love!* (*the Bruce Campell way) and Army of Darkness. This was when Make Love!* came out.

He was momentarily stunned by my Hot Topic shirt, which informed the reader that I had no job, money, or car, but was in fact in a band. But I had bought the book, so a deal was a deal.

Up until this point he was signing and chatting with everyone in line, incorporating the chat into what he was signing. I got a generic "Come get some!" plus the knowledge that I caused a celebrity known for always having something witty to say to be speechless for a couple seconds.

Come get some?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm wondering if that ending was going to be used if S4 happened.

It's perfect to end the series on, but S4 would've sucked without Kelly, Pablo and Brandy.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Pablo could probably make a time travel portal if need be.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They do imply that they might still be around

I'm kind of sad Ash never mentioned the OTHER giant demon monster he had to fight before

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Burkion posted:

I'm kind of sad Ash never mentioned the OTHER giant demon monster he had to fight before

PTSD due to the loss of his chainsaw.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I guess season 4 would have given him a sweet cyber chainsaw

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I found the ending pretty bittersweet. Ash is still cool but he's still stuck fighting the evil forever. :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He was momentarily stunned by my Hot Topic shirt, which informed the reader that I had no job, money, or car, but was in fact in a band. But I had bought the book, so a deal was a deal.

Ash Vs Evil Dead - He was momentarily stunned by my Hot Topic shirt,

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Alan_Shore posted:

I guess season 4 would have given him a sweet cyber chainsaw
Season 4 would have had him driving against a green screen for a couple of seconds then he wakes up and it's all a dream....or was it? Then Ruby shows up and steals the book, and wash, rinse, repeat. Yeah, that ending felt like a non-ending and didn't really do anything for me. The overall season was fine but a lot of it felt rushed (like Kelly's possession or more regarding the character inhabiting her body) and it just didn't seem to have any other place to go. Honestly I would have just been fine with Ash's plan fails, everyone dies, and things are hosed.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

ruddiger posted:

My favorite overlooked Bruce Campbell movie is Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat where he plays a descendant of Van Helsing who heads to a desert town completely run by vampires. They isolated themselves from society and have hired scientists to create artificial plasma so they don't have to kill anymore. It's pretty nutty.

I do not regret buying this on DVD. It's goofy, and weird, and also has David Carradine as a vampire!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

PicklePants posted:

I do not regret buying this on DVD. It's goofy, and weird, and also has David Carradine as a vampire!

I guess you could say

:cool:

the movie sucks

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

While we're talking gems, that's a good one, I also dig Lunatics: A Love Story starring Ted Raimi! Very cool movie. And of course also has Bruce Campbell!

And man indeed would've been great to see at least five seasons of this like they wanted. But at least that ending is a fun note, it's like a 90s comic book just appeared on the screen, one of the good ones too.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Raxivace posted:

I found the ending pretty bittersweet. Ash is still cool but he's still stuck fighting the evil forever. :smith:

Yeah, that's probably my biggest complaint more or less. In all of the Evil Dead canon, they never figured out how to just let Ash have a happy ending, which is something I think he deserved after all that drat suffering. It's actually pretty sad, when you think about it :(

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

UnSmith posted:

Yeah, that's probably my biggest complaint more or less. In all of the Evil Dead canon, they never figured out how to just let Ash have a happy ending, which is something I think he deserved after all that drat suffering. It's actually pretty sad, when you think about it :(

Rocketing into the sunset to do what you do best with a hot android on the gun turret of your afterburner equipped favorite car seems pretty happy to me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Rocketing into the sunset to do what you do best with a hot android on the gun turret of your afterburner equipped favorite car seems pretty happy to me

I actually agree. He's in his element. The biggest weakness was the lack of concrete resolution with the rest of the gang.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
He just wanted to settle down in Jacksonville.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

Wild T posted:

Bruce’s grinning mug stapled to the front.

That's one of the three things I remember from that movie. The other two being that it was loving boring and that Chekhov's character was kind of a prick. I haven't seen it in a long time though, so I might be wrong.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly

I'm not SUPER sure Ash would be happy if he just got to settle down.

Dude even equipped his trailer to do that whole shotgun ejection thing when he was on downtime at the very start of AvED. I'm pretty sure Ash would get supremely bored of a normal life after a while.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

also no matter where or when he goes he runs into babes that are filthy and fine

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Finally caught up tonight and I didn’t even realize the series was cancelled till I popped back into this thread.:smith:

Oh well, we’re lucky we got as much as we did and that ending was perfect. My fingers are still crossed for a Netflix pick up though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It doesn't sound like the crew want a Netflix or other network pickup.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
please just let the evil dead die a natural death

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

RandallODim posted:

please just let the evil dead die a natural death

I don't think you "get" the franchise

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

They are selling the props off.

https://vipfanauctions.com/ash-vs-evil-dead-prop-and-costume-auction/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

That's cool but I'm going to say anyone that buys normal looking female outfits from that auction for ridiculous amounts of money is a huge pervert and not a nostalgic.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
There are female fans of the show too. Now if a dude buys that realistic looking female torso...

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I just wish I could get my own of some of Kelly's shirts.

Pablo's too, actually. This was a stylishly fashionable show.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I was hoping the show would get picked up by another network, but I’d say the auction is the final nail in the coffin.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Pablo's outfits were always great and did a really good job of making him look kinda weedy. It was always a surprise when he got shirtless and was like a little mexican ultimate warrior or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Anti-Hero posted:

I was hoping the show would get picked up by another network, but I’d say the auction is the final nail in the coffin.

The final nail in the coffin was Campbell saying that he was retired as Ash the day the show got canceled.

• Locked thread