Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've got some chicken thighs in the ol' freezer, I should thaw them out and make my own karaage.
I wonder if they left out the preferred breading method for the sake of time - I learned to use potato starch, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

.jpg posted:

Flour actually makes it a bit more chewy due to the gluten, but this is a good thing imo

The very first time I tried to make it, I had 2 crucial ingredients wrong: breast instead of thigh, and I had to resort to stock chicken breader instead of potato starch (I scoured multiple supermarkets, including Asian groceries, and the closest I could find was sweet potato starch until I went to Whole Foods). I was told that it was kind of like a slightly different-tasting Chick-fil-a nugget kind of thing, but that didn't sit right.

I might try corn starch for a few pieces in order to see how that contrasts against the potato starch.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Made karaage tonight, pics when I'm back at my computer

edit: pics:

Hey there gorgeous

Let's get some lemon juice on them morsels mmmmmmmmm

graybook fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 14, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
So how long until this gets moved to GWS

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
So who's going to make the Wakako-Zake post-season dinner spread with all the dishes

• Locked thread