Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

man I didn't think I could hate natto more and then you compared it to okra

Same but the opposite. My dad cooked a stew of bitter melon, eggplant, okra and small bits of ground pork. The gooey texture of the okra and eggplant mitigated hellish bitter flavor of the bitter melon. I ate it with white rice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Presumably the beer they're also talking about is a standard (light?) draft with a low ABV.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Corn starch makes it a bit crispier, sort of like a tortilla chip, potato starch gives a flakier texture. Thigh meat is much better for it, much better flavor.

It's all about the fat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm sure there's some sort of tofu dish that goes great with alcohol that Wakako will eat.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Knorth posted:

Some industrious person put up subs for e3 by the way, everyone. I haven't been able to watch yet so quality is not assured but it's something at least

Quality seems fine. Food & Drink pairing this episode is goosefish liver and warm sake

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

.jpg posted:

Shiiiit. So much for the cook along.

I made karaage today in nanban sauce

They had lotus root on sale at the store and I'd not had it before so I fried it. It's okay. Kind of like a very firm potato fry.

Lotus Root is okay. It's also a bit like Water Chestnut. It probably would be good deep fried, but it would require a slightly different prep method to come out really good I'd think.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

.jpg posted:

Yea I found it a bit bland on its own too, though I put mine in nanban sauce which is like a sweet and sour kind of deal

at least episode 5 has an achievable recipe with yakitori, though I don't have a grill...

It's definitely doable with a stove or oven with some tools, but there's no way to get that proper smokey flavor without a proper grill. Iirc, there's a way to do it in the oven with charcoal, but that's probably a bit dangerous.

Otoh, the meats for this should be relatively cheap since hearts, gizzards and livers aren't too popular. However, the tails might need to be taken whole chickens since I don't recall ever seeing them sold separately (if you have a butcher, then it's probably easy to get everythign for a reasonable cost). As for availability, if it's not available from a big box store like Wal-Mart or Publix or whatever the regional equivalent of that is (like Wawa?), then try an ethnic grocery of sorts that sells meats.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finally, something I can get and cook (if I cooked)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
While Potato Salad seems meh, I want to try an Oolong-hai

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Deep fried Asparagus. Clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Will she ever stop eating?