Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

glowing-fish posted:

Well, I can't claim to have visited every single area of the United States. I am fairly well-travelled within the United States, but if you want to bring up examples from places I haven't been, or situations I haven't been in, I am sure you can find some.

I can talk about some things with some authority, especially with education. For middle-class (a term that people prefer to "bourgeois" for some reason) students, like those I grew up with, the idea of filling out FAFSAs, doing college applications, and going through the entire college admission process was transparent: they took it for granted that these institutions would deal with them in a "natural" manner. I've also worked with first-generation college students who needed to have "obvious" things explained to them. They were often quite afraid of anything to do with college or higher education, because they didn't have the background knowledge to navigate through these institutions, and they didn't feel that what they were doing was "natural" or "obvious", the way students from bourgeois backgrounds did.

*slams stamp marked "Middle-Class white boy who read his first Zizek book"* Next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread