Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like when you slo-mo explode your car next to a bus there should have been a couple dozen little ragdoll bodies flung out all over the street or something

head-on collisions shoudl have sent bodies flying through the windshield

i'm not even looking for blood or gibs, it could have been just blocky textureless models like on that old "fling a dude down the stairs" game, or maybe like those old 'crash test dummies' toys.

do they even make burnout games any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I don't think trying to be carmageddon or gta driving would make the burnout games better at all, actually, op.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

*looks at burnout paradise* Ah, what this really needs is cheap-looking shock value horseshit from the late 90s

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

i disagree

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crash Test Dummies for the SNES was ftw

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hell, I think the Star Trek moose guy is right about whatever stupid bullshit I didn't read.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Burnout 3: Takedown is one of the top 3 video games ever released. It's literally perfect in every way.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The burnout games are fine as is

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Burnout 3: Takedown is one of the top 3 video games ever released. It's literally perfect in every way.

I love this game

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The Burnout games really need another entry in the series imho.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Crash Test Dummies for the SNES was ftw

Their album, God Shuffled His Feet, is also a masterpiece of alternative rock in it's own right.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they had the Flatout games a long time ago, which was just a Burnout ripoff with ragdoll bodies flying out of the windshields and stuff.

also ragdoll olympics

A Nice Big Dinner
Feb 17, 2006

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wormskull posted:

Their album, God Shuffled His Feet, is also a masterpiece of alternative rock in it's own right.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

they had the Flatout games a long time ago, which was just a Burnout ripoff with ragdoll bodies flying out of the windshields and stuff.

also ragdoll olympics
Last year I reinstalled the Flatout remake to find out why people like those games so much and I never did find out.

Gas Guzzlers Extreme is very good though.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
burnout cars dont even have people driving them so how would there be ragdoll physics in the first place

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Burnout has always been about crashing and exploding cars. Ragdolls wouldn't make sense in Crash Junctions and the like.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

starbarry clock posted:

burnout cars dont even have people driving them so how would there be ragdoll physics in the first place
nfs:mw '12 had people in the cars and they made a point of having as many open-top cars as possible, but then the only thing the driver does is a little headshake when you fail an event or get caught by the cops

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wormskull posted:

Mmm mmm mmm.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Burnout has always been about crashing and exploding cars. Ragdolls wouldn't make sense in Crash Junctions and the like.

Why havent they made a game that is nothing but Crash Junction levels at 1080p and 60fps.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6OA0nzXM5Q

In Training posted:

Why havent they made a game that is nothing but Crash Junction levels at 1080p and 60fps.
They almost did.

Can you imagine a game like that, except good?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

the burnout guys burnt out on ea's poo poo and formed hello games

yeah, no man's sky is going to be loving amazing

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

2012 :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I enjoyed Joe Danger for a while until my save was deleted for some reason

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Whatever happened to that first person game they were making in a pub?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lesbian baphomet posted:

*looks at burnout paradise* Ah, what this really needs is cheap-looking shock value horseshit from the late 90s

i think it would have been hilarious

CharlestonJew posted:

also ragdoll olympics

explosions weren't nearly sick enough on those though

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Burnout Paradise was a nearly perfect racing game so if they just remake that but bigger I'll be happy

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

CharlestonJew posted:

Burnout Paradise was a nearly perfect racing game so if they just remake that but bigger I'll be happy
The whole "open world meets racing game" concept was weird and distracting, for me at least.

B3 is perfection. B2 is also perfection, but in a more refined scale. B1 is surprisingly good given the technical constraints.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Wormskull posted:

lol

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

B1 is surprisingly good given the technical constraints.
I too like spending more than 20 minutes on one race, on tracks that are boring, to music that is either boring and bad or boring and distracting, with a boost mechanic that feels muted and unsatisfying and collisions that even at the time were janky.

All these faults that Burnout 1 has do make Burnout 2 shine even brighter, though, and for that I thank Criterion for doing it right the second time and just hitting it out of the park every single time after.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

The whole "open world meets racing game" concept was weird and distracting, for me at least.

B3 is perfection. B2 is also perfection, but in a more refined scale. B1 is surprisingly good given the technical constraints.

I see where you're coming from since B3 has a very good ratio of racing to not-racing

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011
Lol this dude wants to play with dolls

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I remember being really stoked when they patched bikes into burnout paradise and then immediately let down when there was no slow-mo crash animations for them

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Bikes were still fun to ride around though, and I liked that if you were having a hard time with the challenges you could just switch over to night-time and do the piss-easy night-time stages. :)

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
rag dolls would not add anything to the burnout series, op.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

They really just need another game we've been too long without a good car crash game

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

more road rash sounds really good though

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Uncle Wemus posted:

They really just need another game we've been too long without a good car crash game
The Crash Time series is an alright knockoff. It never really gets as good as Burnout games do but it has its own little charm. Give it a try. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It's just so good, they got everything right in that game.

...and then the annoying Paradise came out which ruined the formula and then we got the utter trash that was Unbounded.

• Locked thread