Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
the worst thing about paradise was the garbage rear end showtime mode or w/e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

88h88 posted:

It's just so good, they got everything right in that game.

...and then the annoying Paradise came out which ruined the formula and then we got the utter trash that was Unbounded.
You're forgetting Revenge, which was good but for some reason not as good as 3. At least from my memory. Still 2/3/4 are eons ahead of the whole concept of Paradise.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NickRoweFillea posted:

rag dolls would not add anything to the burnout series, op.

you don't think it would have been hilarious to explode next to a bus and see a couple dozen little ragdoll puppets go flying out the windows on the opposite end? that's unfortunate

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'd say Paradise having you drive around everywhere is its greatest strength, because it gave the designers a lot of legroom with how each individual car handled. Where Burnout 3 effectively has about 4 of each car (same stats, different coat of paint), every single car in Burnout Paradise looks unique, has unique characteristics and a few even have quirks no other car has. The game effectively gives you infinite time to practise taming a car's oversteer, propensity to spin out, the odd tendency to just handle better at higher speeds. In Burnout 3, getting to drive outworldish fast cars like the US Circuit Racer was a frustrating highlight because you didn't ever get time with the car off the clock, whereas Burnout Paradise makes every new car you get that highlight AND it lets you ease into it at your own pace. The game also checked what car you were driving at any given time and for Races and Road Rage events, it'd give the opponents cars at about the same level, some better some worse, so the range of cars was effectively also a difficulty slider.

It gives the game an amazing difficulty curve, and the player a good deal of control over what they'd be up against.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
i forgot how good the road rages wete in paradise

if there was just an endless road rage mode across the whole map id probably still be playing

traffic checking was cool too

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

you don't think it would have been hilarious to explode next to a bus and see a couple dozen little ragdoll puppets go flying out the windows on the opposite end? that's unfortunate

No because in not a sociopath

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
also burnout 4 revenge had some great crash junctions and looked fantastic. the split screen racing was always good fun with friends and drink! we would shout x4 x4 x4 dont get the heartbreaker.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

coldplay chiptunes posted:

The whole "open world meets racing game" concept was weird and distracting, for me at least.

B3 is perfection. B2 is also perfection, but in a more refined scale. B1 is surprisingly good given the technical constraints.

I think thats the part I liked best about paradise since it gives you that 'just driving around' in GTA feel but with good driving

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Robot Randy posted:

i forgot how good the road rages wete in paradise

if there was just an endless road rage mode across the whole map id probably still be playing

traffic checking was cool too
Taking down cars makes your timer go up, and there's no limitations on where you can go. Road Rage is as endless as you can make it.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

You're forgetting Revenge, which was good but for some reason not as good as 3. At least from my memory. Still 2/3/4 are eons ahead of the whole concept of Paradise.

Everyone forgets revenge, and that's a drat shame

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Revenge owns, especially the crash junctions.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Great Joe posted:

Revenge owns, especially the crash junctions.

I didn't enjoy Revenge as much as I should have, because I spent the whole time I played it mad that it wasn't more Takedown. Has it held up well enough to replay nowadays, or should I stick to Paradise?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

surc posted:

I didn't enjoy Revenge as much as I should have, because I spent the whole time I played it mad that it wasn't more Takedown. Has it held up well enough to replay nowadays, or should I stick to Paradise?

most of the Burnouts still hold up as well as when they came out

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

surc posted:

Of course they have! :)

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Burnout 3: Takedown is one of the top 3 video games ever released. It's literally perfect in every way.

once you get past a certain point the rubber banding is too aggressive so i didn't finish it but up until then it was a lot of fun

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

go play flatout if you want ragdolls

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

absolutely not.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

There's a joyful innocence to the Burnout games. Sure, you're endangering other drivers by driving on the wrong side of the road, but nobody really gets hurt when you crash.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you want ragdolls, the Wipeout games had tons of that poo poo. It was a decent racer, but it had 10 or so minigames where you windsheild cannon your character across the map. Also a demolition derby

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Red Suit posted:

If you want ragdolls, the Wipeout games had tons of that poo poo. It was a decent racer, but it had 10 or so minigames where you windsheild cannon your character across the map. Also a demolition derby
:confused:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wouldn't want rag doll bodies in crash junction, but i do like in games when you can drive a car directly into a metal pole at 150mph and your driver is launched through the front windshield

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

I wouldn't want rag doll bodies in crash junction, but i do like in games when you can drive a car directly into a metal pole at 150mph and your driver is launched through the front windshield

this was pretty good in sleeping dogs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

this was pretty good in sleeping dogs

Getting the fastest bike possible, holding the action stance so your standing on the bike and then slamming into a concrete divider on the edge of the ocean side cliffs and flying off into the water was a lot of fun and I did that way too much instead of doing side missions

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

whenever i was driving a car in vice city and saw a motorcycle rider, i would ram them from behind as fast as i could

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

whenever i was driving a car in vice city and saw a motorcycle rider, i would ram them from behind as fast as i could

Of course

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Speeding past a moped in sleeping dogs and using the car check to see how far I can toss them

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Speeding past a moped in sleeping dogs and using the car check to see how far I can toss them

hell yeah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Man, they should make a new sleeping dogs. One that isn't a F2P MMO or whatever Sleeping Dogs 2 is.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Man, they should make a new sleeping dogs. One that isn't a F2P MMO or whatever Sleeping Dogs 2 is.

eidos square is so lame

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Another single player Sleeping Dogs isn't out of the question, or so they said in interviews. I really want another Sleeping Dogs though, it's such a nice game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't want one with the same characters, I just want another game that is basically a playable John Woo film.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'd like it to have better gunplay than Sleeping Dogs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Getting the fastest bike possible, holding the action stance so your standing on the bike and then slamming into a concrete divider on the edge of the ocean side cliffs and flying off into the water was a lot of fun and I did that way too much instead of doing side missions

Hi I'm Wei Shen and welcome to Jackass *opening riff of Corona*

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I don't want one with the same characters, I just want another game that is basically a playable John Woo film.

its cool that gta games dont really have series wide "lore", continuity, or canon. they know they dont need it, many others wouldve tried

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i 100%'d burnout paradise on a roommate's ps3 in college and now i get to do it all over again. i loving love burnout paradise.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah. I usually don't like open world GTA-style games because I never do the side missions (didn't do them in SD either) but driving around rainy digital Hong Kong at night with HK pop radio on is so sick. That game again with better tech and shooting would be great.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also way more Cantopop.

Dec 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

yeah definitely. the rest owned though

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I just got a new rig on Friday, and the second thing I did was install Sleeping Dogs DE and turn everything up all the way and go ride my motorcycle in the rain, and it is even more the best thing than it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

01011001 posted:

yeah definitely. the rest owned though
Yeah, I just never used the guns unless I was forced to. I liked it better than GTA's guns, though, and not focusing on them helped.

• Locked thread