Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, have the future Raiders notched another Super Bowl, you think? Or is sportsball illegal under the new regime because it incites people to violence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Question Bosworth Clark.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
So a lot of those names Tex mentions while talking to Tom Griffiths are names that he acquired from Dweeb. If you go to Griffith before meeting Dweeb, I'd expect that the conversation would be quite limited, and you'd have to go back to Dweeb again later to get those other leads. Is that what happens?

Ragthyme
May 28, 2015

Ain't Misbehavin'

Glazius posted:

So, have the future Raiders notched another Super Bowl, you think? Or is sportsball illegal under the new regime because it incites people to violence?

I don't know what most of the words you used mean, but I do know sportsball will never be illegal, even in mutant post-nuclear Neo-Francisco.

Squish posted:

So a lot of those names Tex mentions while talking to Tom Griffiths are names that he acquired from Dweeb. If you go to Griffith before meeting Dweeb, I'd expect that the conversation would be quite limited, and you'd have to go back to Dweeb again later to get those other leads. Is that what happens?

Well, yes and no. The events of Mean Streets are about as nonlinear as it gets for a game with a linear plot: that is, if you have the coordinates and know the names, you can go anywhere and ask anything at any time - it's totally possible to start a new game and go directly to the end location. You won't win, but it's possible. It's also possible to ask Tom Griffith or any other character about key terms even before Tex is told them if you have prior knowledge, so the dialogue options are never restricted.
Naturally, though, if you are playing through the game normally, you would be doing a lot of back-and-forth looking for terms and clues. I try to streamline this as much as possible, of course, because it's easier to follow along if we keep a steady forward pace.

Ragthyme
May 28, 2015

Ain't Misbehavin'
Update 12 - Making a House Call

The thread teeters at the edge of the abyss once again, but here I am with the next installment of Tex Murphy's Miraculous Adventure. Previously, we "questioned" (Detective-speak for "bribed" and/or "threatened") MCT accountant, Arnold Dweeb, and dweeb, Tom Griffith. Now, using the list of names and addresses Arnold Dweeb gave us, we're going to check in on Greg Call - or whatever's left of him. According to Tom Griffith, Call was a victim of an accidental shooting some time ago, and given the survival rate of former-MCT scientists up to this point, the odds aren't in our favor that he's alive.

Of course, Dweeb neglected to include Greg Call's address, so our first course of action is to get a fax from Lee Chin in exchange for a few hundred dollars.

. . . Apparently Steve Clements has access to information that not even Lee Chin can acquire.

: "Yes? Oh. It's you."

: "Cut the pleasantries Clements, I need information. What do you know about Greg Call?"

: "You're not too popular around here. The Chief has told us we're not supposed to give out information on this case to anyone, and your name was specifically mentioned. I'm taking a big risk even talking to you. This Professor Call commits suicide in his apartment (NC 4753). Shoots himself with a .38. Looks open and shut. But I'm starting to get suspicious about all the suicides and before we got there, a couple of goons from the Law and Order Party had gone through the house pretty thoroughly."

: "Got it. See you around, Clements."

The best detective is always the least popular detective.

Touch down! Filler screen! The beautiful facade of Greg Call's apartment complex.

The background for the shootmans segment has classed up. Evidently the Law and Order Party aren't done searching Greg Call's apartment - whatever they're after must be important.

In an alternate timeline: Tex reflects on the inevitability of death as Gunman 2 looks on in horror.

Eventually, we make it to the room.

Despite Steve Clements' conviction that the Law and Order party had thoroughly searched the place, it seems they managed to miss the one item of use while trying to fill us with lead.

Now this is a mad scientist's lab if I ever saw one.

And what's a mad scientist lab without a homey office space and a desk and fax machine?

Unfortunately, we can't seem to immediately get into Call's desk, but luckily the key is nearby.

We just have to exercise more of our "pushing things to find other things" skill that we used to find this secret cave lair.

The late Mr. Call was not the best at hiding objects.

Inside the desk we find drugs, guns, and money, all of which we haphazardly stuff into one of our many trench coat pockets.

Opening this circuit box won't be as easy, however. It'll take us slightly more than a minute to find that key.

This odd table over here is a giant map file - curiously left unlocked.

Even more curious, there's a map inside this map file! Will wonders never cease . . .

It seems that Call might've moonlighted as a diamond prospector - that is, unless this "mine" is another lab of his.

The only thing we of interest left to look at on this half of the lab is this conspicuously large vine. We can't touch it with our bare hands or gnaw it to pieces, but then why would we ever want to?

More importantly, what the hell is this thing?

At least this is a step up from hiding keys under fax machines.

This is probably not something we ought to try and put in our pockets, unlike that key that's also in there right next to the dangerous tube of death.

Success!

Before heading back to the circuit box, we might as well take a moment to search this cabinet area for anything useful.

Well, I guess the diamond mine wasn't a bust.

What's this?

I guess this convenient switch might turn off the red laser field we've been completely ignoring until now.

. . . Or it'll try to kill us, that's also possible. Why is there a switch for this?

It wouldn't be believable future without a Lost in Space reference.

Anyway, before our imminent demise, we might as well grab this lengthy pole and possibly find a way to not die.

Hello, stalagmite. Prepare to be pushed.

Pressing the button opens the exit door but doesn't stop the nerve gas timer. To get rid of that, we have to leave and re-enter. Which I do, because the timer, while generous, is annoying.

Back in the cave once more, we can finally open this circuit box with the key we got from the nerve agent containment unit.

Switch 1 turns on the lamp above the Nexus terminal on the desk, but we're more interested in Switch 2.

Oh?

Whatever Call did over here was important enough to keep behind a giant laser wall, but as for what any of this is, I have no idea.

Considering our past switch-flipping experiences, you'd think we might exercise a little more caution, but no.

Well this can't be anything bad.

Well, whatever we did it hasn't killed us, so it must be okay. That's all for Call's lab right now, so . . .

. . . here we are back at Cal Davis' less-cool lab! We picked up a long pole earlier back at Greg Call's, and it might be just the thing to reach an item we need.

Tex stares the giant ape in the eyes. The beast flexes its fingers, ready to tear apart whatever appendage reaches through the bars in a vain attempt to grab the box beyond. The pole found in Greg Call's lab appears - the ape goes wild, howling uncontrollably! How can this be?!

With that, we've reached the end of Update 12. For a single update, we've made good progress: A possible follow-up lead at the Lost Dutchman Diamond Mines, and Cal Davis' pass card.

Next time, we'll be taking a look at Cal Davis' Nexus terminal to see what he was up to before his "accident" as well as whatever lead everyone finds most worthy of following up on next. Here's our updated to-do list:
  • Find Greg Call, former MTC scientist
  • Investigate Gideon Enterprises/MTC Corp, a local corporation
  • Find/Question Ron Morgan, former MTC scientist
  • Find/Question Jorge Valdez, MTC employee
  • Find/Question Brenda Perry, MTC employee
  • Find/Question Big Jim Slade, MTC employee
  • Find/Question Bosworth Clark, former MTC scientist
  • Investigate the Lost Dutchman Diamond Mines, Greg Call's home away from lab away from home
In addition, I'm aware that the time between updates is just enough for the thread to be locked around the time the next update is due, but I still fully intend to regularly (albiet slowly) update the LP. As far as a schedule for updates goes, every two weeks seems to be working out best for me, and as long as nothing odd comes up, that shouldn't change. We're in the last third of the game, and well over halfway, so the climactic moment isn't long off!

Ragthyme fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2015

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
The Mines: there be diamonds there. Who know's what info Lee will give us when we make it rain?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes, let's start a plutonium-powered machine somewhere in the desert.

...well, I suppose that assuming Call wired it to something else he knew, we should hit up the diamond mines before it goes nuclear or whatever.

And then keep hitting up former MTC scientists.

Ragthyme
May 28, 2015

Ain't Misbehavin'
Update 13 - Tex Murphy and the Working Title

We're halfway to the spookiest of holidays, and what better way to celebrate than with the spookiest of mysteries? Admittedly this definitely isn't that, but all the dead scientists everywhere is at least a little spooky, especially for other scientists.

First off, however, is a trip to a favorite haunt of scientists: a cave! Scientists love caves, and this cave in particular is also a diamond mine.

How unsettling, there isn't any science happening in this cave!

With that chilling discovery behind us, it's time to check on yet another former MTC scientist, Bosworth Clark. Lee Chin is helpful as always . . . after we shell out a grand.

If you don't remember Peter Dull, he is exactly as his namesake suggests and wouldn't be worth talking to if it weren't for this. All he says is: "Try (NC 9932)." Oh and also that Bosworth Clark's lab is in Death Valley because he works on satellites.

Tex might say it isn't funny, but he still made the joke anyway. That's our guy.

Clark had the most advanced lab we've seen so far. Presumably that's him on the floor over there by that turned over chair. Let's introduce ourselves.

Unfortunately our host didn't survive his last visitor - but that's enough standing on ceremony; Let's roll him over and search his pockets.

Not much in here, is there.

Alright, so we're sure this is Clark . . . or at least the man with his wallet.

Whoever killed him didn't seem to be interested in his money either - which must mean they were looking for something other than valuables when they rifled through the rest of the place.

An appointment book: the scientists' grimoire.

Clark wasn't employed by MTC anymore, so what reason could he have had for calling Frank Schimming? Anyway, that's all that's on the body. Maybe we'll find more information by searching the lab.

Near the body are some blueprints for a satellite and a hi-tech control panel.

As always, when faced with technology beyond our comprehension, our only course of action is to pull all the switches and face the consequences.

Fortunately for us, this isn't a mad scientist's lab, and instead of dying a gruesome death, we're treated to images of a satellite or two that Clark was monitoring.

Now, if we search slightly down from where we were before, we can somehow interact with Clark's desk area a few feet away. First off, we'll slap this calendar around a little just to show it who's boss.

Our intimidation tactics pay off, yet again.

Will the pawn shop buy shares? Probably.

Over to the far right is Clark's kitchenette sans everything but the sink.

The only thing we need from here are these gloves. Back in Greg Call's cave-lab is a very poisonous thorny vine that we can't wrangle without protective gear.

Oh, and there's a cabinet key hidden under this sandwich, oddly.

Meanwhile, over by yonder table lay a ton of cigarette butts. There were also cigarette butts on the floor of Cal Davis' lab - a small detail, but interesting.

It seems the Big Surf Hotel might have been a place frequented by the late Bosworth Clark. Or maybe the killer dropped it.

Obviously Bosworth Clark and Cal Davis were very good friends and this is just a list of all the ideas for names for Davis' rats.

Lastly, and although it might seem like a very bad idea, we're going to shift all this broken glass around with our hands.

Many lacerations later, we've got another key!

The key that we managed to retrieved from under the glass pile goes to this cabinet door nearby.

Inside are a few things of interest, including this satellite transmitter. I have no idea what it does, but it's ours now.

We've also got a nondescript canister to open, so let's get right at opening.

Yet more money for Lee Chin.

Before we leave, we ought to open this drawer by Clark's desk with the sandwich key.

Inside is more of something we don't understand. I'm reasonably sure it's useless, but, operating by the logic that if it's in a locked drawer someone must want it, we're taking it with us just to be safe.

That's all for Bosworth Clark's place. We're not going to be calling the police, because they'd only slow us down with that congratulatory party they'd throw us for all our hard work.

We've still got one more thing to do before we go, and that's wrassling this weed.

Behind the weed is one of those pass cards we're searching for. We still have the one from Cal Davis' lab last time, so that makes two computers we need to try searching when we get the chance since I did forget to try Cal's.

While this does seem like the best point to leave off at, we've got one final thing to do, and that's investigating one of the non-scientist MTC employees: specifically, Jorge Valdez. Lee Chin tells us his address for a modest sum of $300.

Here we are at the end yet again. We managed to get another pass card for a total of 4 out of 8 and found a lot of data on this satellite MTC built - it's the same one Clark was observing, for one, and now Clark is recently deceased.

Anyway, everyone knows the routine by now; here's the list if you want to see certain things before other things:
  • Investigate the Lost Dutchman Diamond Mines, Greg Call's home away from lab away from home
  • Find/Question Bosworth Clark, former MTC scientist
  • Find/Question Jorge Valdez, MTC employee
  • Investigate Gideon Enterprises/MTC Corp, a local corporation
  • Find/Question Ron Morgan, former MTC scientist
  • Find/Question Brenda Perry, MTC employee
  • Find/Question Big Jim Slade, MTC employee
  • Investigate the Big Surf Hotel, possibly where a murderer might hang out
Will we ever investigate Gideon Enterprises? The world may never know.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure we shouldn't stroll into the Mind Control Corporation without completely defanging their operations. Continue investigating former scientists.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I still want to know who Big Jim Slade is.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
We found a matchbook in a noir detective story. Obviously, the next stop should be the Big Surf Hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hey Ragthyme, are you doing okay?

• Locked thread