Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lmao if you bought a shamecube you get to sit in it by yourself until they turn the servers off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Animae is good.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Decrepus posted:

Lmao if you bought a shamecube you get to sit in it by yourself until they turn the servers off.

The game never went online, there are no servers. You can sit alone in your shamecube forever. That's probably going to be their argument to fight chargebacks. "We didn't sell them a game, we sold them a virtual house. They still have their virtual house. No refunds."

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rumors from reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/RevivalGame/comments/4btfeq/revivals_future_an_important_announcement/

quote:

Yeah, the money situation is a bit of a mess. I'm repeating what I heard, so take everything with a grain of salt.
Illfonic isn't the company behind the IP. If you notice SnipeHunter's forum post, he signs as Skywardstar, which is his, Ombwah's, and a few other people's company. They are behind Revival's IP, and all the ideas that come with it.

Illfonic contracted Skywardstar to bring the project to life, henceforth all the money that was made with housing purchases went to Illfonic. Now that they broke the contract, Skywardstar is left without a job, and even worse, without any of the money founders invested in the game.

The couple of Steam keys offered as a compensation do kind of feel like adding insult to injury at this point.

:cripes:

Orv
May 4, 2011
They learned something from working with CIG at least! :v:

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Jesus, that subreddit.

"All of us are ready to wait!"

No lie, i'm kind of sad about this closing down. I mean, it was bound to happen but I was hoping for a lot more horrible, entertaining poo poo being generated before then. We will never know how the stempire could have been integrated into cthulhuworld now.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 25, 2016

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
Another one bites the dust

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxlhyX-4qKI

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Gawain The Blind posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2016/03/24/revivals-development-has-been-indefinitely-suspended/

Welp.

edit: good news though you can still visit all the house models and pretend you're having sex in them.

Show of hands, who's surprised? Go on, be honest.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm surprised they managed to lie to themselves this long.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
good riddance.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
"Development" has been halted.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I would honestly like to know what this means:

quote:

When we first set out to build Revival, we had access to expertise and resources that aren’t available today. Making up for their loss, be it as simple as lacking sufficient animators or as complicated as losing access to certain networking expertise, has been a costly affair, far more costly than we can honestly afford to bear.

Like, I know we're not going to get a detailed report about what happened, but seriously what the gently caress does that mean? They started with "access" to expertise and resources they now no longer have access to? I really hope they're talking about the star citizen guys, but I don't think they are. There's a different company that owned the IP, but Illfonic was making the game? Or... not? Who was making this game? Was anyone making this game? And what happened that they no longer have access to the animators and whatnot that they started with? Did people quit?

Edit: No animators or networking people... so, what... the guy that made houses stuck around, I guess?

edit 2:

subreddit posted:

welp, that was the most expensive IRC channel I ever joined.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 25, 2016

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gawain The Blind posted:

I would honestly like to know what this means:

Like, I know we're not going to get a detailed report about what happened, but seriously what the gently caress does that mean? They started with "access" to expertise and resources they now no longer have access to? I really hope they're talking about the star citizen guys, but I don't think they are. There's a different company that owned the IP, but Illfonic was making the game? Or... not? Who was making this game? Was anyone making this game? And what happened that they no longer have access to the animators and whatnot that they started with? Did people quit?

Edit: No animators or networking people... so, what... the guy that made houses stuck around, I guess?

Around the time that the Star Citizen funding pulled out, illfonic had to lay off some guys. I'm guessing that they had access to some Illfonic resources when they were available since they were all in the same office, and when Illfonic had to lay dudes off there was no longer any chance of borrowing guys from other projects. There have also been two guys laid off from the Revival team specifically in the last 8 months. Their small team got smaller.

Illfonic was self-funding the game with revenue from their other projects. SC was probably a big part of that funding. And I haven't heard anyone talking about their new zombie game being a runaway hit so they are probably in a cash crunch.

It looks like they've sold $100,000 - $200,000 worth of virtual houses. That isn't a whole lot of money, but if Illfonic is hurting for cash it could be a problem if a bunch of people start doing chargebacks.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Revival was best known for its implementation of radical game mechanics, including slavery and prostitution.

I don't think the writer of that quotefest actually knows what the word 'implementation' means.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oooh, yeah, the bitterness is starting to roll in now. A couple guys have changed their forum avatars:

Still remarkably few calling for refunds or chargebacks, unless it's being deleted. https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/1296/revival-s-future-an-important-announcement/p1

quote:

I-It's eight days too early for this thread! Y-Your calendar is off!

;_;
It's just april fools, right?

quote:

I don't know how to react. I spent a lot of money on Revival, in good faith. It doesn't appear that Revival will happen, despite the somewhat hopeful statements in the announcement. I'm not mad. It's the reality of the industry. However, I hope that something, that accounts for the level of financial sacrifice that many of us have undertaken to see this project through, can be done for the people that have invested so heavily in Illfonic. Otherwise, in the future I don't think there will ever be trust in the company and the developers.
You should be mad.

quote:

Your all hard creative ideas & efforts till now won't go without the appreciation you deserve.

You have my gratitude for finding such world, I was waiting for this kind of game & passionate developers for long and I will not give up on you & Revival.

My heart & soul will always be with you developers & game community as long I live.

Bless you all.
Oh come on. It was a lovecraftian poop game.

quote:

wow, ok.. fair enough
I'll digest this a bit before i post something bitter

off the top of my head, you guys work with Roberts Space Industries and Star Citizen? Any way we could roll our assets from this game to that one? I know its a long shot since whatever we spent toward Revival isnt going to be handed to RSI in monetary value, it would be more of a thing to save face.
LOL

quote:

Some of us tried to warn you that some of your ideas needed to change and that the pricing scheme of houses and the like were far too off the wall, not to mention the selling of SP.

Replies that you were targeting more well to do players while the average player would have to stick to hovels or rent from other players was a mistake and will never take off.
Rah roh.

quote:

Snipehunter...I hope you are just the messenger here (and always pitching the company line)...So please duck and let this hit whoever it needs to hit.

Time and time again we were told that the Revival project was already fully funded, had no direct intent of crowdfunding, and that housing sales were just icing on the cake. Nearly anytime someone brought up doubts about being able to fund this game, the answer was always the same: "we don't actually need additional funding".

quote:

Snipehunter said:

Of course, we can tell you "we got this" all day long, but that's all talk, right? At the end of the day, you'll have to decide for yourself if what you're seeing and what we're saying are aligned. The best advice I can give then is to stick around, hear what the community has to say and take a look at what we put out over the next few months and years in our early releases. Hopefully that will give you the evidence you need to decide for yourself if we're full of crap or actually know what we're doing.
Well, we got our answer now!

Then you post some smokescreen bullshit non-detailed post telling us the project is on standstill after selling us all the houses that you "didn't need for funding to make the game." Yet, now you claim you don't have the funding or resources to continue, but you can't give us any details? Who blew all the money that was there for a fully funded game already? OR was the money never there and you straight up lied to us? Or were you lied to and continue to spread false information ignorantly? We need more details as founders who've spent a lot of money on this failure.

So all my friends who warned me you were full of poo poo right from jumpstreet were all correct?

Straight Up Deceptive Advertising based on false promises and lies is what my gut tells me.

And all you lemmings on here with your "I'm happy about my investment" nonsense are pathetic. It's people like you that allow this scamming bullshit to continue to happen over and over again in the gaming world. We all thought Revival was different. We all thought Illfonic was different. Pull your drat rose colored glasses off and get a dose of reality. You've been ripped off. We've all been ripped off. Sure, you may not have hard feelings about a $40 risk investment going south, but some of us lost hundreds of dollars based off of these false promises presented as a minimal risk since we were constantly told the game was already fully funded and they didn't need our money to create the game. Straight bullshit!!!

And as a parting gift you offer us steam keys to some other games? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?

How about giving everyone at least a partial refund as a goodwill gesture? You can shove your steam keys straight up your rear end. Like I want to play or support anything associated with Illfonic ever again!?!

quote:

Snipehunter said:
It’s rare that you’re asked to preside over a memorial. Rarer still for that to come as a surprise, but none the less, here I am.

2 Sentences in and I'm thinking "oh no, one of the main devs has died!" Then by the end of this post, I'd rather my initial thoughts had been true instead of this crock of poo poo.

Well played assholes. You had me hooked in from the jump, spreading the word of your lies and recruiting other founders to your scam project for over a year now. Then you don't even make it out of Phase 1 before pulling the plug on the project you told us over and over was already funded. Well played assholes, well played.
I wish you were dead. :stare:

quote:

I would like to point out that, as an enthusiast investor, I can say that the truly pathetic idiots were those that dropped hundreds of dollars on a pre-alpha project without being absolutely and completely prepared to lose that investment entirely. This is how investment works.
Sure, it's the customers who are wrong.

quote:

Thats in no way a players job though. You guys can say what you want, but Im only out $40. If I was out $400 Id be calling my CC company. This game is never coming out. You can hope if you want but i knew when they had layoffs it was going to be cancelled. They had no business selling anything without knowing fully well they could deliver. The fact that you guys say so easily "It was an investment - Im fine losing it" - is pretty ridiculous imo.

This isnt your game dev cousin that you believed in and floated some cash to. This is supposedly a professional game dev studio that should know how to deliver a product when they sell it. Not take the cash and run.

I have no doubt theyre nice people who meant well. That doesnt change the fact that we all paid nontrivial amounts of money for nothing more than an empty-rear end digital room and forum access.

My .02
Yes, let the anger flow through you.

quote:

Gotta love how Kedhrin moonwalked away with the money and without a single post about that here.

Don't forget to warn people if illfonic will start selling anything else in their other games.
Okay, here is where things start to get personal. The devs in the forum every day were Snipehunter and Ombwah, and everybody still likes them. But you've got to be angry at someone, so be angry at the guys at Illfonic who pulled the plug without warning. Die Kedhrin die.

quote:

Disappointed in the lack of passion in a passion project.
Zing!

quote:

Well,

All I can really say is that I won't be investing in anymore MMOs, MEOWs, or the like; unless there's an actual product on the market after this incident. Am I upset? Yeah, I am to a degree because I was under the impression that things were going smoothly; slowly but smoothly. Do I want my money back? No. I want Revival. Simple as that.
Seriously? You don't want your money back? Uh, I guess they'll be happy to hear that.

quote:

Well. This is quite a shock.

Nothing from Khedrin?

What in Hades happened?
Khedrin still MIA.

quote:

so, whats going on here, are we victim shaming now?

First of all, your terminology isn't accurate. Nobody who bought a house or items for this game were considered "investors". We were never asked to invest, in fact, they went out of their way to tell us this game was privately funded and they didn't need us to buy housing plots etc.
Victim shaming. People who buy bad videogames are victims.

quote:

sounds like illfonic has at least abandoned the game completely.
Ya think?

quote:

Completely agree. And i feel for the guy a few posts back. If i blew 1200$+ on literally nothing - you can bet your rear end id blow a few hundred more on a CA lawsuit.

Completely unacceptable. But alas, ill take my $40 slap in the face and move on.

Sell the rights and the IP and your current work to another studio. Get a publisher. Do something. Do anything. You owe it to this community - even if it means Illfonic isnt the one who finishes it.
:cripes:

quote:

My first reaction was "why not go to kickstarter?" as thats what I have been thinking all along, it should have been done at the very start. But now I'm kind of rethinking what I thought when illfonic served ties with Star Citizen; I dont think illfonic will ever produce anything of note, they buckled under the overwhelming weight of Roberts space indutries, I suspect they would do no better with thousands raised from kickstarter.

How much time wasted building estates that only a few guilds would use? A symptom of the problem of Revival. We could have quite easily seen the basic greyboxing of the town and islands of crowns rock. Let the project die, along with the hopes of a decent MMO for the PC crowd.
To answer his question, about 8 months was spent on the estates, which were never finished.

quote:

Wow, this is sad. I'm reeling from the fact poor Snipe was tapped to communicate the end of Revival in its current from, as if the decision was so minor it didn't merit announcing by Illfonic's founders. I also didn't miss the fact there is no apology associated with the announcement. While we invested our time and money freely in this community, knowing there was risk involved, I should think Kedhrin et al would feel sorry they had to disappoint so many people. At the end of any relationship, or phase of a relationship, it's stand-up for the person who ends it to notify the people involved personally, and apologize for the sorrow or inconvenience their actions might cause. That didn't happen here, and bodes ill for future work under the leadership of Illfonic's founders.
Yep, Illfonic is the devil.

quote:

Anyone else notice Kedhrin's twitter account is now locked and he's deleted most of the pics of his new custom guitars and metal cruise spending spree?

Keep on patting them on the back though guys.
Wow.

quote:

This company is a cold pile o shiz.
:agreed:

quote:

To be fair, I believe @Ombwah and @Snipehunter were just as naive as we were and got the shaft too. At least they're still around and taking the flak, while it's someone else at Illfonic that hosed up and went into hiding.

And seriously; CLOSE THE drat SHOP!
Yes, the shop is still open. You can go buy houses in a game that will never exist! What a world.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

"So all my friends who warned me you were full of poo poo right... were all correct? [I am the dumbest one out of all my friends? This is very disturbing.]"

Thank you forums poster Agartha Christie for being virtuous enough to share this treasure trove of posts.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Guys what if the entire Revival game took place on 1 planet in Crisp Roberts Star Citizen? Makes you think...

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Star Citizen will just be a series of planets, all leading to different MMOs, in which you pay a monthly "docking fee" to land and start playing.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
RIP revival

I still think these guys are amazing for working on space citizen then doing a medieval space citizen knockoff with the same funding model.

Anyway this is the future of star citizen.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Aww, I'll miss their weekly game development fanfiction.

This is like a one thousandth scale miniature preview of Star Citizen's fate.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
That didn't take nearly as long as I had thought it could drag out. That guy asking to roll funding into Star Cit has got to be a troll right?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm glad I didn't buy the expensive properties now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kehdrin, the head of the company, is still maintaining radio silence. However, the two main devs are going to be on a twitch thing tomorrow.

quote:

Snipehunter and Ombwah on RevivalCast: Sunday, Mar 27
Join us for RevivalCast at 1PM PDT/4PM EDT
https://www.twitch.tv/TheoryForge

Might be funny. Dunno.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Going to be nothing but trihards and biblethumps as far as the eye can see.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

As far as I can tell Illfonic hasn't actually sent out any notification to their customers yet. The only way to know about the cancellation is to see the post on the forums, or come across an article quoting that post. Which means every day there are more people who have just heard the news! :peanut: Here's a good one:

quote:

quote:

It’s rare that you’re asked to preside over a memorial.
I view this imagery as nothing more than a cheap shot to garner sympathy. Poor choice.
@khedrin's response (lack of) is indicative of the complete lack of backbone anyone in the team appears to be showing. You state that you have been passionate about this project. Really? Yet now that you have a community, you appear to feel no sense of responsibility toward them other than to pen a 'please give us sympathy' missive. You simply offer bland excuses? You wanted us to believe in, and take on, that passion and become supporters. Next time you tell me how passionate you are about something, I'll just head for the Rocky Road. Your credibility is burned. That long rambling post that offered no sense of shame, no sense of wishing to retain a even a modicum of honor toward community members who believed in you.

I came to Revival through my experience with Chris Roberts and his approach to his community. How he communicated with, trusted and believed in his community to risk his dream and the welfare of those who supported his dream. His success was not because he had a cunning plan to rake in as much as he could. His success came because when the hard decision had to be made, he trusted his community. Illfonic had ringside seats to observe how to generate and maintain a community. You garnered some of that community support and have squandered it in just about the most cynical fashion possible. I could care 2 figs for the money you took, I do care that you damage the credibility of a partnership between a community and those whom the community trusts. Keep your steam keys, I'd rather not give anyone the impression that I support your company, even if it came as a 'freebie'.

For those who feel that they have developed some sort of 'personal relationship' through communications, remember, you put faith in those who do not hold the relationship with their community as sacred. This is not the message we would want the wider gaming community to adopt, so think carefully about how any support you give enables those with a similar laissez-faire attitude to their community.

Regarding Illfonic as a whole you can rest assured that I will be out in the communities of those who support honorable dealings in such partnerships, and your names will be remembered for a long time, for all the wrong reasons. All I see is 'Sorry, it was just too much trouble to act in an honorable manner'. Meaningless promises, meaningless promises.

Shame on you. Shame on you. Where is your self respect?

Oooh, yeah, that's the good stuff.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

quote:

His success was not because he had a cunning plan to rake in as much as he could.

:iamafag: Yes noted respected totally legit businessman Croberts would NEVER do anything as vile as take people's money and not deliver what they paid for.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Well, the discussion wasn't very funny. https://www.twitch.tv/theoryforge/v/57036526

80% of revivalists have hobo beards.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Hey that one guy isn't blue any more.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
These guys were really pushing the boundaries. The boundaries of "hopelessly high hopes" versus scam.

Betting on zero coding towards an actual game. This was the sale of art assets to suckers so they could pretend to play a pretend game of tentacle sex.

9foxtails
Jan 13, 2016
I was rooting for these guys. However, this only strengthens my suspicions about kickstarter.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
My preemptive laughing at people who gave them money wasn't all for nothing. Thank goodness.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

9foxtails posted:

I was rooting for these guys. However, this only strengthens my suspicions about kickstarter.

Woah, hang on there. Let's not go overboard. I've backed 32 projects on kickstarter, and of those, only Star Citizen is probably going to be a loss. Tex Murphy, Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and Divinity were all successful and awesome. I love kickstarter.

You just have to not be an idiot about it. I didn't know about this game when it was up on kickstarter but I never would have dropped money on it. Anyone reading the description would have been tipped off to how dubious it was. "Oh good, a magical cthulhu gently caress romp with real sex animations and houses for sale? Sign me up for the Stimpire Package, please."

Sure, it's possible to abuse the system, either intentionally, like these guys, or just through general incompetence, like Star Citizen, but let's not forget all the good that has come out of it. I didn't back Pillars of Eternity or Torment, but pillars was great and i'm really looking forward to Torment. Neither of those would have been made without kickstarter.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

oh no..this is just wow... poo poo man, omg.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Bravo illphonic bravo.

So I guess I was spot on in assuming they were working on this with the star citizen resources and were unable to get anything meaningful done when they got booted from star citizen. I also guess they didn't pull in as much as they thought they would with their not star citizen model.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Irony aside, y'all who threw money at this should suck it up and try a good MUD. The game you are looking for is never coming out

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Gawain The Blind posted:

You just have to not be an idiot about it. I didn't know about this game when it was up on kickstarter but I never would have dropped money on it. Anyone reading the description would have been tipped off to how dubious it was. "Oh good, a magical cthulhu gently caress romp with real sex animations and houses for sale? Sign me up for the Stimpire Package, please."

You backed Star Citizen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

9foxtails posted:

This game was never actually on kickstarter.

I was rooting for these guys. However, this only strengthens my suspicions about spending money on pre-release software.

• Locked thread