Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

It's lovecraftian but set in the medieval era?

Duh, Lovecraft invented satanic imagery. That makes it super-Lovecraftian. edit: I guess NSFW for drawn baphomet tits

I have never before wanted a game to both be real and be a total scam. This poo poo it is a special kind of beautiful.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Buschmaki posted:

It's lovecraftian but set in the medieval era?

Yes, sort of. Fun fact: You can make the argument that Lovecraft's works and Conan the Barbarian were set in the same world at different time periods. http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos The Great Old Ones et al were old, so they were there in medieval times and ancient times, not just 'modern' New England.

On the other hand Revival isn't set on Earth, much less medieval Europe, it's just a setting that resembles medieval Europe. If it was Earth it wouldn't be medieval Earth, but post-apocalyptic future Earth, which has been knocked back to a medieval level of technology. Lovecraft's stories of horrible things stirring would be in the past. The Great Old Ones, the Outer Gods and the Old Gods rose and duked it out for a while, then withdrew, leaving a shattered world and a few survivors. The new era began about 300 years ago, I think.

In the current setting (unlike Lovecraft) everyone knows that the big bads are real. Most people credit the Old Gods with driving off the other 2 factions and saving humanity, so the Old Gods are worshiped openly (this includes six-titty antler crotch lady, she's the goddess of life and death). Some people secretly worship the horrible things in the other 2 factions, trying to wake up a Great Old One or draw the attention of an Outer God.

The shattered world gimmick basically lets them roll out the game world a bit at a time. They are starting with a temperate island that has a single small medieval city on it, some farmland, a small forest, and a small swamp. You can see it in the store page: https://www.revivalgame.com/store/housing It's basically a tech demo. Later they can add other islands and continents, each with potentially slightly different settings. All of them will be 300 years since the cataclysm ended, but different land masses may have reacted to it differently. Different gods may be prominent, different cultures, different climate, different crops, different races of humans, slightly different technology, etc. I believe they are planning on releasing another small island nearby first, so people have a place to use their boats (boats will soon be for sale in the cash shop). Then a larger continent with 3 cities and wilderness in between, so overland trade routes can be a thing.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
holy poo poo, loving for buffs in an mmo. they finally found the goldmine

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Angela Christine posted:

Yes, sort of. Fun fact: You can make the argument that Lovecraft's works and Conan the Barbarian were set in the same world at different time periods. http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos The Great Old Ones et al were old, so they were there in medieval times and ancient times, not just 'modern' New England.

On the other hand Revival isn't set on Earth, much less medieval Europe, it's just a setting that resembles medieval Europe. If it was Earth it wouldn't be medieval Earth, but post-apocalyptic future Earth, which has been knocked back to a medieval level of technology. Lovecraft's stories of horrible things stirring would be in the past. The Great Old Ones, the Outer Gods and the Old Gods rose and duked it out for a while, then withdrew, leaving a shattered world and a few survivors. The new era began about 300 years ago, I think.

In the current setting (unlike Lovecraft) everyone knows that the big bads are real. Most people credit the Old Gods with driving off the other 2 factions and saving humanity, so the Old Gods are worshiped openly (this includes six-titty antler crotch lady, she's the goddess of life and death). Some people secretly worship the horrible things in the other 2 factions, trying to wake up a Great Old One or draw the attention of an Outer God.

The shattered world gimmick basically lets them roll out the game world a bit at a time. They are starting with a temperate island that has a single small medieval city on it, some farmland, a small forest, and a small swamp. You can see it in the store page: https://www.revivalgame.com/store/housing It's basically a tech demo. Later they can add other islands and continents, each with potentially slightly different settings. All of them will be 300 years since the cataclysm ended, but different land masses may have reacted to it differently. Different gods may be prominent, different cultures, different climate, different crops, different races of humans, slightly different technology, etc. I believe they are planning on releasing another small island nearby first, so people have a place to use their boats (boats will soon be for sale in the cash shop). Then a larger continent with 3 cities and wilderness in between, so overland trade routes can be a thing.

All I know about Conan is that its different than our world but also exactly the same with all the same cultures sometimes even with the same names. Thank you for the information!

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't mind throwing money at this in 7 years when alpha hits and I'm able to loiter on the $1000 kickstarter donor houses and get my day's worth of love buffs on their lawns and porches.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
with these innovative new mechanics, our pedophile wood farmers could pull double duty as buff bots

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Neurolimal posted:

with these innovative new mechanics, our pedophile wood farmers could pull double duty as buff bots

I'm really tempted to buy a farm cottage so I can become a wool farmer. OTOH, a cottage with a little farmland starts at $80, so lol at that idea.

Remember, the non-gold servers are supposed to be play for free. So a smart person won't spend a cent before trying the game. Try the game on the free servers, and if you like it then you can decide to spend money for a subscription on the premium servers. Nevertheless, the main gold server, Blackwell, is almost sold out. All of the $80 farms, the $200 houses and the $400 manses are gone -- all that is left is the lovely hovels and tenements. They had to open a second gold US server because people just won't stop pouring money into this hole.
:psyduck:

Don't worry though, goons, you haven't missed your chance to spend money on imaginary houses on the 'good' servers. If the game ever exists and is successful, their plan is to soon open more cities on other continents. This first city is supposed to be a small backwater. Houses in the good cities aren't even for sale yet.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

All I know about Conan is that its different than our world but also exactly the same with all the same cultures sometimes even with the same names. Thank you for the information!

Robert E Howard and Lovecraft were pen pals that shared a lot of ideas between each other. At the time they were pretty unique because neither of them interacted with the major publishing communities of the time, and had much of their work published via magazine/digests. Lovecraft was in Rhode Island, and REH lived with his Mom and Dad in Crossplains TX; the middle of nowhere. They didn't necessarily invent the Weird Tales genre, but they definitely helped launch it into popularity.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 20, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Angela Christine posted:

Don't worry though, goons, you haven't missed your chance to spend money on imaginary houses on the 'good' servers. If the game ever exists and is successful, their plan is to soon open more cities on other continents. This first city is supposed to be a small backwater. Houses in the good cities aren't even for sale yet.

If this reaches Star Citizen levels I will have a feeling. I don't know what that feeling will be, but it will be pretty strong.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CountingWizard posted:

Robert E Howard and Lovecraft were pen pals that shared a lot of ideas between each other. At the time they were pretty unique because neither of them lived near the publishing community of NYC. Lovecraft was in Oklahoma, and REH lived with his Mom and Dad in Crossplains TX; the middle of nowhere. They didn't necessarily invent the Weird Tales genre, but they definitely helped launch it into popularity.
i thought lovecraft spent all his life in providence, except for when that jezebel lured him to nyc for a spell

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
will there be crafting in revival? can i gather semens and other ejecta to make a little homunculus?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Doctor Schnabel posted:

i thought lovecraft spent all his life in providence, except for when that jezebel lured him to nyc for a spell

You're right. I'll correct that. I'm not sure why I remembered him living in Oklahoma. I mostly read biographical stuff about REH.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
not that i'm into cumplay or nothing. i just like pet classes

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Actual quote from Illfonic's corporate website:

quote:

Revival is a Sandbox MMORPG that puts the player in the middle of a truly living world. With a focus on ‘what would it be like to actually live in a fantasy world’, Revival aims to fully immerse players in a world that has never been seen before. Unlike any game that has ever been made, Revival aims to completely restart how people think of the MMORPG genre. Total immersion, complete feedback, live storytelling and a world that evolves with true cause and effect as players play, Revival will not disappoint. Powered by Unreal Engine 4, Revival will deliver excellent visuals with the intention to deliver an amazing AAA visual experience. Revival is currently in the prototype phase and we will release more information as soon as we can!

loving :lol: somebody actually wrote the words 'unlike any game that has ever been made'

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's like a whole company of Peter Molyneuxs.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Truly, Croberts has chosen his FPS team well.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh man, is the SC FPS module delayed indefinitely because these guys jacked Roberts' coke stash? :allears:

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

I'm so getting this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blazing Zero posted:

ill give you a buff baby

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Orv posted:

Oh man, is the SC FPS module delayed indefinitely because these guys jacked Roberts' coke stash? :allears:

It is ironic that they have been "working" on this mmo for years and suddenly have a ton of new content to show immediately after being let off the star citizen project.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Blazing Zero posted:

Didn't Star Wars Galaxies have a dancer class or something that gave people buffs? It's like that but sperged the gently caress out.

I loved the random mention some guy did of like "Oh yeah, people might stop outside of a cave for a good gently caress before starting an adventure..." :dogbutton:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

You can grind your sexing skill and become a professional whore/buffbot!

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

WarLocke posted:

Didn't Star Wars Galaxies have a dancer class or something that gave people buffs? It's like that but sperged the gently caress out.

I loved the random mention some guy did of like "Oh yeah, people might stop outside of a cave for a good gently caress before starting an adventure..." :dogbutton:

All I can do is imagine the Sims version of sex being implemented, and it being so lame watching a bunch of sheets or tents rocking. This had better provide full titty and labia experience.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Blazing Zero posted:

You're still just gonna end up doing logistics Blazing, carrying condoms and lube back and forth between our goon base and the dungeons.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad of this thread

we needed a good MMO shitpost thread

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

4 pages in and we don't even have a guild setup for the goon rush? We are going to be so behind the curve... someone get to work on this please. First step buy a domain and setup forums. tia

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You're still just gonna end up doing logistics Blazing, carrying condoms and lube back and forth between our goon base and the dungeons.

No no no, you don't get it. We set up a Goon Trading Company to sell condoms and lube to pubbies as supplies for THEIR fuckdungeon runs.

(Then have a group of goons accost them and take all that poo poo back before they get there :unsmigghh:)

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Opinionated posted:

4 pages in and we don't even have a guild setup for the goon rush? We are going to be so behind the curve... someone get to work on this please. First step buy a domain and setup forums. tia

First rule of rubbernecking: Don't touch the poop.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Good news former Archeage players, this game is supposed to have both fishing and piracy. Including special ships for fishing and whaling. (Someday.)

https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/comment/8401

quote:

It’s not an easy task, the business of whaling, but it can bring in some of the most lucrative hauls on the ocean, if you know what you’re doing.

The first thing to know is that you can’t really do it alone. Whales in Revival run the gamut in size, from the size of a small pony up to the size of a several caravan wagons, end to end. Even just hauling the whale on deck so that you can harvest it will take the effort of several players and/or hirelings. It will take special equipment too, but maybe I’m getting ahead of myself. Let me start from the beginning.

There are half a dozen species of whale that have “commercial” uses in Theleston. From each can be harvested different useful items, including things like blubber, ivory, and whale oil. Different markets value the things that can be harvested differently, and because of the migration patterns of the various whales as they move through the oceans each year, each market’s prices will fluctuate depending on what whales are in season for that region.

So, a crew interested in whaling has to plan their activities taking into account where the whales are, how hard they are to catch and how long the things which can be harvested will last before they spoil. But, using this information, crews can calculate what sort of return they may get on their effort and, if it’s worth it, they’ll take to the sea. Of course, for most of the whales they can expect to hunt, this means they’re going to have to acquire a whaler. A whaler is a top tier fishing craft, capable of employing all of the world’s fishing techniques, but most importantly, a whaler is the only ship type with the rig needed to haul a massive whale on deck to be harvested, and without that rig, there’s not much point in hunting down a whale, especially considering the risk.

You see, whales in Theleston aren’t very docile. Many are predatory and all of them will fight against your efforts to catch them with a ferocity rarely seen in the mundane creatures of Theleston. Whaling is a serious risk partly due to the ferocity of the animals being hunted, but also because the act of “catching” a whale involves running it down, bleeding it out and then dragging its still living but totally fatigued mass aboard your whaler in order to begin the grisly act of butchering the creature for harvest. As you can imagine this isn’t easy.

Whales are a lot faster than you might realize.

Often faster than your whaler, if you’re not all sheets to the wind. Chasing the beast down becomes the work of smaller launches or similar boats that you load with archers, spearmen and harpooners to harry the animal to the point where it can run no more. Even then you’re stuck with a bloody, catatonic whale that has to be roped to your boat and pulled back to your main ship, all the while chumming the waters with whale blood, very likely drawing the attention of the ocean’s other predators... or worse.

Still, if you can pull that whale onto your whaler and you’re a fair hand with the blade, you then begin the job of slicing the whale apart and harvesting its good bits. Assuming you can get it back to port before it spoils, at least one share of the small fortune you can generate will be yours.
:stonklol:

Sounds like crusty old fishermen are going to need big gay orgies before they will be buff enough to take down a whale.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
If this ever actually comes to anything in two years, this looks like it will be fun and easy to grief the poo poo out of with goons

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
That's why they call them seamen.

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Praying nightly for a hardcore rp server, making love buffs internet memories you'll never forget since 2019.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
looking for lvl50 cuckoldress, chastity spec preferred but will also take findom or cbt (cock and ball torture NOT closed beta test). pst :)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Good news everyone, the weekly devblog just dropped. What will it be this time? Seamstress fan-fiction? Sex on the beach? Slam whale on a whaler? :allears:

Oh, temples. https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/38-weekly-blog-update-37-temples Wow, this one is really boring. Nothing good or bad enough to even bother quoting. Boo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh, wait, I was so bored by temples I missed a bit of actual news:

quote:

I always hate telling people something is about to be done and have it not be. But I also hate keeping people in the dark! This week our offline client has entered testing! QA is now going through each of the houses, checking collision bugs, making sure menus work properly and we’re adding the last bits of polish. That means for the first release of the offline client (where you can walk around your house) is probably only about a week or two away… if not sooner.

If you bought a $40-$443 imaginary house (LOL) you'll be able to walk around inside it within the next week or two. Just the inside, mind you. Going outside and looking at your yard won't be possible for a while yet. If you also bought the $10 basic furniture package you'll be able to rearrange your furniture.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.

Angela Christine posted:

Oh, wait, I was so bored by temples I missed a bit of actual news:

If you bought a $40-$443 imaginary house (LOL) you'll be able to walk around inside it within the next week or two. Just the inside, mind you. Going outside and looking at your yard won't be possible for a while yet. If you also bought the $10 basic furniture package you'll be able to rearrange your furniture.

They're following the Star Citizen model but for people who can just be deviants on second life?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

can't wait for some sweet, sweet fishing pacts to happen :allears:

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

kloa posted:

can't wait for some sweet, sweet fishing pacts to happen :allears:

Don't forget about group sex buff pacts

kloa
Feb 14, 2007