Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

http://massivelyop.com/2016/03/24/revivals-development-has-been-indefinitely-suspended/

Welp.

edit: good news though you can still visit all the house models and pretend you're having sex in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Jesus, that subreddit.

"All of us are ready to wait!"

No lie, i'm kind of sad about this closing down. I mean, it was bound to happen but I was hoping for a lot more horrible, entertaining poo poo being generated before then. We will never know how the stempire could have been integrated into cthulhuworld now.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 25, 2016

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

I would honestly like to know what this means:

quote:

When we first set out to build Revival, we had access to expertise and resources that aren’t available today. Making up for their loss, be it as simple as lacking sufficient animators or as complicated as losing access to certain networking expertise, has been a costly affair, far more costly than we can honestly afford to bear.

Like, I know we're not going to get a detailed report about what happened, but seriously what the gently caress does that mean? They started with "access" to expertise and resources they now no longer have access to? I really hope they're talking about the star citizen guys, but I don't think they are. There's a different company that owned the IP, but Illfonic was making the game? Or... not? Who was making this game? Was anyone making this game? And what happened that they no longer have access to the animators and whatnot that they started with? Did people quit?

Edit: No animators or networking people... so, what... the guy that made houses stuck around, I guess?

edit 2:

subreddit posted:

welp, that was the most expensive IRC channel I ever joined.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Mar 25, 2016

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

9foxtails posted:

I was rooting for these guys. However, this only strengthens my suspicions about kickstarter.

Woah, hang on there. Let's not go overboard. I've backed 32 projects on kickstarter, and of those, only Star Citizen is probably going to be a loss. Tex Murphy, Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and Divinity were all successful and awesome. I love kickstarter.

You just have to not be an idiot about it. I didn't know about this game when it was up on kickstarter but I never would have dropped money on it. Anyone reading the description would have been tipped off to how dubious it was. "Oh good, a magical cthulhu gently caress romp with real sex animations and houses for sale? Sign me up for the Stimpire Package, please."

Sure, it's possible to abuse the system, either intentionally, like these guys, or just through general incompetence, like Star Citizen, but let's not forget all the good that has come out of it. I didn't back Pillars of Eternity or Torment, but pillars was great and i'm really looking forward to Torment. Neither of those would have been made without kickstarter.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

Decrepus posted:

You backed Star Citizen.

Well yeah. I'm a huge fan of the wing commander series, especially privateer.

Lots of people backed the original 2012 kickstarter. It would be more damning to say I didn't get a refund when it all went to poo poo. I'm choosing to let my 30.00 ride, in the hope that whatever squalling, fetid thing emerges from Chris Robert's game hole in the end, it's worth 30 dollars.

I backed Doob too. :downs:

• Locked thread