Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

Transitional president of Burkina Faso back in power, coup officially a failure. gg

President Nguesso of the DRC has promised a referendum over whether or not he can run for another term. This will probably not placate the opposition.

Don't you mean Kabila?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

You can't expect me to keep track of all the variously named presidents of the variously named Congos looking to extend their terms.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How strong is party discipline in the ANC? I imagine some of their members realize this is going to end up costing them seats in the local elections this year and in 2019.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

blowfish posted:

Rhodes Must Fall millennials in the UK mainly shouted about how that statue needs to be taken down in favour of shouting about anything of substance.

Taking down a statue honoring a terrible person is a thing of substance, see: Confederate statues in the US.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Thank god the chief statue knower is here to tell black people what they should do, about the statues

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

blowfish posted:

Anyone who would rather erase evidence of a problem or of a historical event rather than confront it has bad and wrong opinions, yes.

*pulls down statue of dead Bad GuyTM*
*declares mission accomplished in facebook post*
*enjoys just and fair world*

A campaign to take it down is confronting it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

blowfish posted:

No, it's blindly smashing things that upset you, and it's the very definition of refusing to confront them no matter whether you're powerful enough to succeed or not.

How is having a debate about a) why it was put up b) what it meant at the time c) what it means now d) whether we should take it down not confronting the issue?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Statues aren't institutions. They're statues. The discussion was about how the movement focused on destroying symbols of colonialism in a way that hampered their ability to produce change in the institution-the stuff that was actually producing inequality and injustice. The protest became about names, statues and paintings instead of, e.g., the number of black professors, or cost of student housing.

The "discussion" being about how whatever they did hampered their ability to change things was one person calling them an "anti-white movement."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

blowfish posted:

Essentially, brats from the middle and lower class complained about being personally inconvenienced during their first taste of real privilege.

Jesus Christ, dude.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So I get why Burundi is withdrawing for cynical rear end covering reasons, but why is South Africa? Is Zuma a war criminal and we just don't know it?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is the "racist ICC out to get African leaders" viewpoint common in South Africa/among the ANC?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What's the latest in South Africa? I heard a story on NPR the other day with some ANC MPs saying "oh yeah Zuma should totally resign, this is a disaster." Is there any chance he will resign or be forced out a la Mbeki, or is the apparatus of the party still behind him, against all good sense?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If Zuma hangs on could the ANC actually lose in 2017, or is that still not really possible?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

2017 is the ANC conference to select the next president of the ANC in December, the winner will then go on to be president after the 2019 election with a brief period of Zuma as president of the republic and another figure as party president. The constitution limits the president to two terms so the ANC needs to shuffle the chairs around in advance to replace Zuma.

Is there anyone Zuma clearly wants to succeed him?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there actually any chance Jammeh could lose in The Gambia? The Guardian has published like four stories on the election this week about how It's Time For Change but it seems kind of far fetched to me.

Also they had a paragraph about how the economy was weak because of high taxes deterring foreign investment which seemed like a weird thing to insert in one of those stories.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nevermind, y'all.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/10/the-gambia-troops-deployed-to-streets-as-president-rejects-election-defeat

quote:

Troops have been deployed to the streets of Banjul, the capital of the Gambia, after the autocratic president, Yahya Jammeh, unexpectedly rejected his defeat in an election last week and called for a fresh vote.

Jammeh had initially accepted the result, ceding power after 22 years, to a coalition led by the opposition leader, Adama Barrow. But few observers expected Jammeh to give up control of the small west African country.

The election result – and Jammeh’s acceptance of defeat – was widely seen as a moment of democratic hope on the continent and prompted widespread celebration in the Gambia and elsewhere.

But in an announcement on state TV on Friday, Jammeh said he had changed his mind and wanted “fresh and transparent elections which will be officiated by a god-fearing and independent electoral commission”.

“After a thorough investigation, I have decided to reject the outcome of the recent election. I lament serious and unacceptable abnormalities which have reportedly transpired during the electoral process,” Jammeh said.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

Ugh. Can't someone just Gaddafi this fucker and be done with it

What makes you think that would turn out any better for The Gambia than it did for Libya?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Zuma has fired Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan apparently against the wishes of his deputy president, coalition partners, and ANC leadership. I wonder if anyone will actually do anything about it.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Has Helen Zille always been a crazy person?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

Isn't a moron and is by far not the worst thing. One farmer told me not to go along the wild coast as the people there are barely out of their caves. That seems worse.

It's not a word he uses now. I was asking him why Afrikaans speakers seem to think that using the word baboon is acceptable when describing Zuma and he explained the translation and that at least now it is used irrespective of race. I made the point that while that might be the case it probably came about to describe blacks and he claimed that as a kid in KZN 50-60 years ago that he'd use it to describe his white friends. He said that it wasn't until a couple of years ago that he had that understanding of it being racist.

Calling people morons and racists however is a wonderful way to shut down discussion and them telling me stories.

It's probably just because a lot of Afrikaans speakers are racist.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

The idea that baboon only picked up racial connotations recently is trash, there was a famous incident in 1970 when Ian Smith and his supporters responded to black hecklers at a rally at a university in 1970 with an impromptu rendition of Bobbejaan Klim die Berg (Baboon Climbs the Mountain) and Smith defended himself by trying to say it was just a children's song about a naughty baboon I swear

Calling Ian Smith a racist is just shutting down the discussion smh

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does Mugabe have a constituency besides the armed forces?

MTWists don’t count.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Asylum from what? Were they going to try and prosecute him?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I saw on the Guardian that they were planning a protest for Wednesday. I'm curious as to why they're waiting an extra two days.

Grouchio posted:

Duly taken. Slit his throat.

What happened to you that you have zero chill

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I read a Reuters story on this which framed it as anti-corruption and centrist economic policy (Ramaphosa) vs. further social/economic change (Dlamini-Zuma) which I thought was sort of interesting. Most of the time when I see a framing like that in other countries I dismiss the corruption concerns as a distraction from the real problems, but from reading this thread and whatever news stories come up in major newspapers, I don't do that for South Africa since it seems like corruption in the ANC is such a huge problem. I guess it's also easier to roll your eyes at Dlamini-Zuma's economic rhetoric when Zuma has done so little on that front.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

LMAO, I would be considered colored then, yet no one else in my family would.

It's almost like race isn't biological!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How has the SACP been reacting to the change in leadership? I remember they were fairly anti-Zuma at the end, but Ramaphosa's pro-business tendencies don't seem like something they would support.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Saladman posted:

Julius Malema seems like one of a very few people where the politics in a country would likely be better if he were disappeared.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’ve read it and it’s really good although also pretty old now so I don’t know if there’s anything better that’s more recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Grouchio posted:

I think.....they may have a point on Libya. Even I floated the idea of a constitutional monarchy revival when the civil war started in 2011...

“Even I” more like “of course I”