Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So everyone complains about this, but nobody posts.

Over 50 people dead in Nigeria since Tuesday in at least two bombings:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34852971
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34859527

Aand "[Security advisor] Dasuki 'stole $2bn' from anti-Boko Haram fight", apparently: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34855695

I don't really have any commentary besides that that's hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nigeria's state-owned oil company has failed to pay the government $16bn (£11bn) in a suspected fraud, according to an official audit.

quote:

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) provided no explanation for the missing funds, the auditor general told MPs.

Oil revenue accounts for two-thirds of the government's funding.
Nigeria's former central bank governor Lamido Sanusi, now the Emir of Kano, was dismissed by the previous administration after saying that $20bn (£12bn) in oil revenue had gone missing in 2013.

A separate audit ordered under former President Goodluck Jonathan and carried out by global accountancy firm PwC, found that the NNPC had failed to pay the government $1.48bn between January 2012 and July 2013.

It did not provide a total figure for how much revenue the NNPC should legally have handed over to the treasury.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35810599

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Aliquid posted:

In Nigeria I experienced a strongly anti-Chinese sentiment specifically, people were totally cool with Indians. Turns out Chinese companies had a habit of half-finishing their projects, and I had a half-dozen railroads pointed out to me that were technically under construction but were already overgrown.

One train was recently completed though, and seems to be a successful project:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El9HPgXoscY

A colleague told me the tickets are like two bucks?* Seems fantastic.
*A quarter of average Nigerian's daily income

Anyway yeah, there seems to be quite a bit of animosity between African and Chinese workers, in particular, thanks to China's attempts at imperialism. Check this out for some example of casual racism thrown around here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0C4_88ub_M

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In Gambian news, the security forces are occupying the elecitoral commission HQ, and there are talks of a military solution:

quote:

The Gambia's security forces have taken over the headquarters of the electoral commission, its chairman says, as the country's president refuses to accept his loss in recent elections.
A senior official of regional bloc Ecowas, Marcel de Souza, would not rule out sending in troops.
"We have done it in the past," he told Radio France Internationale.
"We currently have troops in Guinea-Bissau with the Ecomib mission. We have had troops in Mali. And therefore it is a possible solution."

Mr Jammeh has questioned the validity of the count after the electoral commission changed some results, even though it insists the outcome was not affected.
The commission said Mr Barrow obtained 222,708 votes (43.3%) compared with Mr Jammeh's 208,487 (39.6%). A third candidate, Mama Kandeh, won 89,768 votes (17.1%).
So there was hope for like five seconds before turning into Africa.txt

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"Another ultimatum for The Gambia's long-term leader to leave office or be forced out by UN-backed troops expired at 16:00 GMT."
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38686144

Jammeh asked to postpone to 16:00 and then failed to vacate the property. Let's see if foreign intervention can do something good for once, thankfully it won't be our fault if/when it blows up this time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So the reason Jammeh had to postpone the deadline twice was probably to get enough time to stuff his luggage with as much state money as possible: probably over $10 million. Still, a small price to pay to get rid of him peacefully.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38714007

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't ran into any openly racist whitey in SA, though I'm sure there are plenty of them. Probably depends on who exactly you talk to, as always, but I did speak with a middle-class hostel operator and some workers travelling to install solar panels or some poo poo. "Farmer in his 60s" sounds like it would be the most racist demographic in any country, pretty much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We should add hunter-gatherers to the endangered species list.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know that guy at all but he can't be worse than Mugabe. Right? :ohdear:

Volkerball posted:

https://twitter.com/DougColtart/status/933002139596677121

I don't know what's going to happen but at least they get this moment.
Hopefully he'll allow import and sale of cameras made in this decade at least.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

punk rebel ecks posted:

South Africa has me intrigued.

How would you guys say South Africa differs compare to say the United States?

Pretty similar just with more lions.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good thing they can just dispense the water directly to the people from the Table mountain as needed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I certainly didn't viewed South Africa as an English speaking country, but actually visiting it makes it clear that it's definitely the lingua franca there. Literally everyone I encountered, including fast food employees, street vendors or even beggars all spoke decent English, so I kind of do now. I associated Hong Kong way more with the British for example yet outside of Central or TST I ran into the language barrier pretty regularly.

Are there any recommended books on the history of South Africa? Despite visiting many museums while there and trying to read about it here and there I still have pretty big gaps in understanding how things got the way they are.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I've learned not to get hopeful about things in Africa, so the combination of reforms in Ethiopia, the Ethiopia-Eritrea detente, and the South Sudan peace talks he's hosting is disorienting.
I was going to post something like "yeah I wouldn't worry too much about that" but SA (the forums) was dying at the time and well there we are.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What a country. So are there also German-speaking areas or communities left over? Wikipedia doesn't go into this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah germany lost all their colonies after ww1
They did but (white?) people still speak German in Namibia for example.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Cape Town is like the San Francisco of Africa. Down to all the beggars and homeless people downtown.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

I want to learn more about Congo, does anyone have good links or recommendations?
Assuming you mean the history, King Leopold's Ghost has been recommended to me before, I got it but haven't read it yet so can't personally vouch but seems legit
https://www.amazon.com/King-Leopold...ps%2C274&sr=8-1

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Were they wearing traditional Russian green tourist outfits?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

nigeria raised its VAT from 5% to 7.5% about eighteen months ago and it looks like some of the public works projects it was intended to fund are coming to fruition. i like the effort at transparency

Seems to be also good for buying Land Cruisers

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Saladman posted:

Europeans don't know anything about Ethiopia either. To get an answer with more detail than "don't they eat using that rubbery sour bread?" you'd probably have to ask like 100 random Europeans. Maybe only 50 Italians.

People always "lol amerikuh" because all the YouTube videos of people being totally unaware of geography are made in the US, but good luck if you ask an average European to place anything on a map that isn't a neighboring country or a common vacation destination.

Hell, I wouldn't be able to tell anything about the ethic or political tensions I the country or what was the deal with the award winning president and I was there a few years before COVID hit. There's just a limited amount of time you can dedicate to geopolitical trivia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2021/11/24/photos-after-a-century-and-a-half-ethiopian-artefacts-return-home

Seems like somewhat unfortunate timing, hopefully nothing will go missing if things continue to develop like this

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of South Africa. I noticed they obstained from the Ukraine resolution.

A few years back, before covid, I visited SA and met two ladies at a Durban airport bar while waiting for a bus to the city. They turned out to be ANC MPs, one of them gave me her business card so I know for sure it was Ms M Lesoma. Obviously she's not responsible for foreign policy but regardless I though of reaching out to her and ask for support, any little bit could help for the sentiment.

I've read quite a bit about SA history before and after visiting but I'm certainly not a scholar and don't have a feeling for what the attitude among the population. Would it be appropraite to frame this in anti-imperialism and colonialism terms and try to draw some parallels there? E: My concern is to avoid trivializing the issues SA faced since as bad as poo poo has been and can get, I don't think (hope) it wouldn't get apartheid level bad

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 4, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/xsfb01/army_officers_appear_on_burkina_faso_tv_declare/

quote:

Army officers appear on Burkina Faso TV, declare new coup

OUAGADOUGOU, Burkina Faso (AP) — More than a dozen soldiers seized control of Burkina Faso’s state television late Friday, declaring that the country’s coup leader-turned-president, Lt. Col. Paul Henri Sandaogo Damiba, had been overthrown after only nine months in power.

A statement read by a junta spokesman said Capt. Ibrahim Traore is the new military leader of Burkina Faso, a volatile West African country that is battling a mounting Islamic insurgency.

Burkina Faso’s new military leaders said the country’s borders had been closed and a curfew would be in effect from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. The transitional government and national assembly were ordered dissolved.

Damiba and his allies overthrew the democratically elected president, coming to power with promises of make the country more secure. However, violence has continued unabated and frustration with his leadership has grown in recent months.

“Faced by the continually worsening security situation, we the officers and junior officers of the national armed forces were motivated to take action with the desire to protect the security and integrity of our country,” said the statement read by the junta spokesman, Capt. Kiswendsida Farouk Azaria Sorgho.

The soldiers promised the international community they would respect their commitments and urged Burkinabes “to go about their business in peace.”
AP article: https://apnews.com/article/united-n...ign=position_05

So... they couped the coup government? Honestly no idea if that's good or not.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Whoa. Reading now.

Twitter won't display the images without logging in so I jumped through the hoops so you don't have to:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They were going for the cultural victory when I was in Dakar in November

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nigerian military is massively larger than Niger's, and there would be others member states contributing. Bazoum was popularly elected so I'd think the people would support his return, but maybe they don't want to risk it. Although the alternative is living with a military junta next door so :shrug:

Anyway it's probably not happening as it looks like the Nigerian parliament voted against troop deployment: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news...l-solution.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

as we all know from recent examples, a larger military with dubious motives will have an easy time with a determined defender on its home turf
Are you trying to draw parallels with Ukraine? Because the situation doesn't seem to be at all similar.

Lol @ this though:

quote:

Bazoum fled into the safe room across the hall from his office and phoned aides to say he was confident that U.S.-trained elements of his army would rally to his rescue.

In a twist, some of the best U.S.-trained special forces among Niger’s regular army units were on counterterrorism missions in the distant desert regions of a country twice the size of Texas, with few roads.

Seems like Gen. Tchiani read the Coup d’état handbook:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Double-posting because of new developments. There's now a counter-coup going on

quote:

A former rebel leader and politician in Niger has launched a movement opposing the military government that took power in a July 26 coup, a first sign of internal resistance to army rule in the strategically important Sahel country.

In a statement seen on Wednesday, Rhissa Ag Boula said his new Council of Resistance for the Republic (CRR) aims to reinstate overthrown President Mohamed Bazoum who has been in detention at his residence since the takeover.

“Niger is the victim of a tragedy orchestrated by people charged with protecting it,” the statement said.

The announcement comes as diplomatic efforts to reverse the coup have stalled after the military government rejected the latest diplomatic mission from the African Union and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS).
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/8/9/former-niger-rebel-launches-anti-coup-movement-as-impasse-continues

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Thanks for posting that. Not a lot on info seems to be coming out of Niger.
It seems like this was more of a palace coup than anything? President tried to fire his praetorian guard who said, "yeah, about that" rather the the coup leaders seeming to have a very large dedicated power bass.

Does this new rebel have any support in the military and is this looking like a civil war situation?
TBH it's a bit opaque to me and I have enough wars to keep track of :v

But that's at least my impression as well. Still, he has to have some support in the rest of the military otherwise he'd get his rear end kicked immediately. Or, maybe the rest of the military is incompetent and/or unprepared as is often the case. As that article says, there are at least some forces that should be capable of doing something but no idea what they want and if there are enough of them.

I wonder if a French speaker could find some local sources. When I was traveling to The Gamiba, it was almost impossible to find any information online even though it's a nominally English-speaking country and everyone has phones with internet. But I guess everything is siloed in chat apps and what not and there aren't any terminally online dorks posting on public blogs.

Anyway, it looks like "itshappening.gif"

quote:

West African bloc ECOWAS has approved military intervention in Niger “as soon as possible” to remove its military rulers following last month’s coup, Ivory Coast’s President Alassane Ouattara said Thursday.

“The Chiefs of Staff will have other conferences to finalize things but they have the agreement of the Conference of Heads of State for the operation to start as soon as possible,” said Ouattara as he returned from an emergency ECOWAS summit.
https://english.alarabiya.net/News/north-africa/2023/08/11/ECOWAS-approves-military-intervention-in-Niger

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the let several coups happen in between intervention in gambia in 2016 and today

And that doesn't seem to be working out that great so maybe they're re-thinking it. The good news is that there are some allies in the region

https://bnn.network/conflict-defence/al-qaeda-attacks-wagner-group-at-mali-niger-border-vows-to-block-entry-to-niger/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
With Prigo et al being toast now, maybe the junta's potential backers would be out of the picture, hopefully making them more included to back off peacefully. (With promises to definitely not blow them up in an airplane later)