Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Does anyone have a good rundown concerning what exactly is happening in Niger and the surrounding countries of Mali and Burkina Faso, I'm seeing the coup in Niger being reported as a strike against French imperialism in Africa with solidarity from other countries that also want to break free, but other reports saying its just a run of the mill coup being supported by similar military dictatorships without much legitimacy and comments that its been fomented by Russia. Is there some kind of halfway position between both these narratives or something completely different to do with internal Niger politics that doesn't meaningfully relate to what's going on in Europe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Morrow posted:

It may just be a matter of things in the Sahel being very dire: take a peek at the article I linked above about how the military government in Mali has been far less successful at restraining the Islamist insurgency. Niger falling to a military coup probably means a similar trajectory, which means you have Islamist groups operating with free reign through a whole stretch of the region, including Burkina Faso.

Its curious how Military regimes always seem to be so bad at actually doing the basic things militaries are meant to do and win wars.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So I've heard that France is very mad with the US over the Niger coup, what's going on there?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I've read that Gabon (along with the cooler Congo next door) is one of the most stable and prosperous countries in Africa. I guess that probably wasn't true, or am I overestimating how much this coup will change things?