Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Has there been any recent developments on the creation of an African Monetary Union? How I remember it there's several economic regional blocs that are slowly to be overlapping with each other to one Continental currency but I'm not as familiar with the technical details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Any future AMU regardless of size will naturally bring up the EMU and its problems to mind. Is there anything on paper what the actual structure of it will be is or is still kind of in a "hopefully we have this figured out by 2030" kind of stage?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Phone posting placeholder until I can add more later. Anyone who knows more feel free to correct any details I get wrong. After asking my question earlier I decided to start reading up on the various proposed or in development Monetary unions in Africa. First I'll touch on is the West African Monetary Zone (WAMZ) which currently is planned to consist of Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Liberia. Ultimately the WAMZ would see the introduction of the proposed Eco as a single currency replacing the CFA franc (which is pegged to the euro).

Here is the taste of necessary criteria for future member governments:

1) single digit inflation rate end of each fiscal year
2 ) deficit no larger than four percent gdp
3) central bank financing of no more than 10% of prev years tax revenue
4) gross external reserves that can give import cover for a minimum of three months