Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Count Roland posted:

Is either France or the US in good enough shape to consider an intervention? I think the US is busy enough with Ukraine/Russia. This is more of France's thing, not sure about their capabilities or appetite these days.

I doubt either cares enough to commit to a full scale invasion which is it what it would take.

If a civil war or genocide ensues maybe there will be a call to do something on humanitarian grounds but I doubt anyone wants to do anything unilaterally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Tigey posted:

Its a lot easier to throw off the French yolk yoke when they're not holding half your money hostage

Yeah I doubt freedom or self-determination is a priority to the military juntas and it doesn't seem like they particularly care about having the funds to feed people.

I'm not really clear on what France is doing in the region today. I understand the historical context which is reason enough in itself for many to not want them there and if that's a priority for people then they should boot them out. That's fine - go for it.

But what level of control does France exert there now and in what ways is it harming people?

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Electric Wrigglies posted:

The US/EU/IMF do have a lot of influence though and are probably pushing behind the scenes to get ECOWAS to do something. It's not in US/EU interests that Russia continues to gain ground across North Africa and at the same time they would prefer other people to do the actual fighting.

Governments may be concerned about other governments being couped in neiighboring states as a matter of self-preservation.

The US and EU are probably pushing for it but it would be foolish for other countries to just shrug and go "eh, it's fine, probably won't happen here."

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
Hundreds of people killed in Darfur.

It's pretty long so I'm not going to post the whole thing. It's also depressing and there doesn't seem to be any end to the misery in the area.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Count Roland posted:

Can't say much without a source as I haven't heard anything. The two nations have shared objectives in that region but that doesn't mean they are on everything.

According to Politico, the French government is somewhat displeased with the coup and would like an armed response from other countries in the region to restore the former president. However, the US is negotiating with the junta to restore democracy, or perhaps some other alternative, which the French feels legitimizes the junta and undermines their efforts.

I feel like a war has the potential to become a catastrophic ordeal which is going to wreck a lot of communities and get a lot of people killed.