Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The US is also planning to review aid for Burundi.

Reuters posted:

"Over the next couple of months we will be reviewing very carefully the level of our assistance, what programs will be continued or not," Ambassador Dawn Liberi told Reuters, adding it would be driven by policy concerns and administrative issues.

"It is a process that will obviously continue depending on what happens politically," she said, calling for steps to ensure full democratic freedoms, disarming militias and lifting curbs on the media after private radio stations were shut down.

"What we are calling for is for all parties to go back to the mediation process and try to forge a way forward that is inclusive," she said. The aim, she added, is to ensure U.S. aid to the health and other such sectors is not affected.

It seems odd that she doesn't explicitly lay out that it will affect the military aid, the article discusses how much we give them but then kind of focuses on the health aid.

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

In some good news the Nigerian army freed more boko haram victims: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33754769

Edit: is the president of Uganda still trying to mediate or did he give up around the election?

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 5, 2015

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Sabotaging your own peace process is pretty silly, but if these talks fail to come to an agreement soon is more violence likely?

NM, they're angry that the international community is pressuring them, still silly but more understandable. My other point still stands because it almost reads like a plea to the opposition to ignore this deal and wait until the government makes their own deal. I dunno, just feels scummy.

Hopefully everyone is sick of it and will continue to try, but honestly I thought the South Sudan issues were tribal not oil until this thread so I dunno anything clearly.

the paradigm shift fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 9, 2015

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

quote:

Burkina Faso's army has reached the capital Ouagadougou to seek the surrender of the presidential guard who staged a coup last Thursday.

Negotiations between army chiefs and the presidential guard are under way, security sources said.

Coup leader Gen Gilbert Diendere told the BBC he is ready to hand back power, but only once a plan to end the crisis was backed by regional leaders.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34321961

Not really sure I'm understanding the full picture here but it seems the coup leaders want a negotiated step down done by ECOWAS. The Burkinabe police seem to just want everything to be done peaceably and the french keep making vague comments about how unhappy they are.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34321961

quote:

Burkina Faso's coup leader has defied an ultimatum to step down, saying his forces will retaliate if attacked.

Army chiefs had given Gen Gilbert Diendere a 10:00 GMT deadline to surrender or face an assault.