Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Blocked in my country on copyright grounds. Thanks Obama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
I just made a statement balance payment on the last credit card. Next month, my wife and I be credit card debt free for the first time in nearly a decade.

:toot:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hand of the King posted:

I just made a statement balance payment on the last credit card. Next month, my wife and I be credit card debt free for the first time in nearly a decade.

:toot:

Hell yeah. You no longer have credit card interest depriving you of future spending/investing money.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2PP3p4_4R8

This is the missing link in your brain OP. Stop fighting yourself and listen to these people they're smart and succesful

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012
Still $0 CC debt and my Equifax and TransUnion credit score according to Credit Karma is now at 797. Unreal!

Hopped on wife's health insurance to reduce premiums. Saved $70 per paycheck.

Paid off one of wife's undergrad student loans ($2,700), but new grad school semester started for both of us so loans went up.

Still can't stop thinking about buying a house. :( :cry: I keep hearing about 80/10/10 loans. Makes me want to buy a house for $650,000. Can't stand being able to hear the sound of upstairs neighbor taking a piss while I'm in the bedroom.

It's almost at the end of the month and there are no more bills due besides spendings for food:

Checking: $4,700
Savings: $16,000
CC Debt: $0
Car Loan: $16,000
Student Loans: $64,000

Cheers.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So you have no money saved for a house and want to buy a house.... Good deal.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

spwrozek posted:

So you have no money saved for a house and want to buy a house.... Good deal.
And 80k in debt *and* they can't afford grad school so debt is increasing quarterly.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Move to a modestly better apartment without noisy upstairs neighbors.. or drop a half mill.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Hand of the King posted:

Still can't stop thinking about buying a house. :( :cry: I keep hearing about 80/10/10 loans. Makes me want to buy a house for $650,000. Can't stand being able to hear the sound of upstairs neighbor taking a piss while I'm in the bedroom.

Don't focus on a house as you can't afford one, especially one costing that much. Put it in the category of being a dream for now. Until you have both finished studying your finances aren't going to improve significantly.

The best financial order that will stop you from buying a house and then losing it is: pay off student debts => save 10-20% deposit => consider if buying a house is the correct financial choice.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The nice thing about apartments is that if you get lovely neighbors, you can easily move in a year. If you get lovely neighbors in a house, good luck with that.

Find a place with walls that aren't paper thin(they exist!) and 95% of your noise complaints will vanish. Worst case scenario, insist on moving into a top floor apartment. Can't hear the upstairs neighbor piss when you are the upstairs neighbor.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Monthly
Income: $8,500
Expenses: $5,200 (including the $570 minimum CC payments)
Savings: $2,300
CC Payments: $1,570 ($570 minimums plus $1,000 extra)
CC Interest: $220

If I'm reading that right your expenses are actually $6,200? 5200 and 2300 is only 7500 so I'm assuming the extra $1k is in the CC payments line? Kind of confusing how you listed that out.

I don't know your situation at all so forgive me if this comes across as rude or whatever but why the gently caress are your expenses so high? Do you have kids? You're talking about a house for ~$500k so I know you're not living in some crazy high cost area like San Diego or New York.

And yeah, PMI is that bad. What PMI means is the lender doesn't feel comfortable with you being able to pay back your loan, so they give it to you in exchange for you paying for an insurance plan that will reimburse them in case of default. This means the bank does not think you are financially secure enough for this purchase and they are probably right. Just wait until you have a down payment. By then you will have a better credit score to negotiate rates with and you will also be even more secure career wise (hopefully).

Zeta Taskforce posted:

especially if they stay out of consumer debt, they will be more than OK

You're talking about someone that is paying a $1,500 monthly CC bill with $28k in CC debt. If I were them I'd err on the side of caution rather than 'eh you'll probably be fine assuming nothing goes catastrophically wrong.'

fwiw I just moved into an apartment with a fireplace, AC, top floor, and not thin walls. I can't even hear my roommate when she is watching TV or loving and we share a wall. $1900/mo for a 2 bed, 2 bath, in an expensive area in SD county. If you're just mad about living in a crappy apartment then I feel you but don't leap into buying a house just because of that.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 19, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Haifisch posted:

insist on moving into a top floor apartment. Can't hear the upstairs neighbor piss when you are the upstairs neighbor.

This is the pro move for apartment living.

Top floor corner unit or gtfo.

Hand of the King
May 11, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

If I'm reading that right your expenses are actually $6,200? 5200 and 2300 is only 7500 so I'm assuming the extra $1k is in the CC payments line? Kind of confusing how you listed that out.

That's my old budget. My expenses are like $1200 lower now and budgeting to save $4,500 a month, which is roughly half of our income. Also we don't have any cc debt now and knocked down a couple of small student loans.

quote:

I don't know your situation at all so forgive me if this comes across as rude or whatever but why the gently caress are your expenses so high? Do you have kids? You're talking about a house for ~$500k so I know you're not living in some crazy high cost area like San Diego or New York.

I live in one of the Lagunas, so, yes, it's pretty expensive. It's a 1 bd + small den and 1 br for $1850/month.

Hand of the King fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 23, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I'm the adult with a career who has to take out loans to get a masters degree because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
PS Remember how your wife was laid off? That can happen any time. Please don't ever buy a house if your wife getting laid off for 6 months or a year will cause you to default. Also your spouse losing their job is correlated with you losing yours (this economy :fap:) so plan for that possibility too.

• Locked thread