Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
I don't mean to open an old thread, but this was actually a pretty great movie.
The connections to the true events are very loose, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good film?
I've dealt with similar issues in the past and the first half of the movie is spot-on.

axleblaze posted:

For me a great deal of the movie was about how Kumiko's mental illness is hidden because of cultural stereotypes and perception. Like in Japan the idea of the quiet, shy girl is normal and in a way an anime ideal. Her crippling social anxieties and inability to really interact with others is just reduced to her being shy and no one really digs deeper beyond putting other stereotypical expectations on her, unaware that she can barely even wrap her head around them.

In America she's the quirky foreigner. The people she meets figure they can't understand her because she's foreign and it's just a cultural difference. Japanese people are weird, right? This thing that might seem strange to them is probably just normal. So once again the craziness of what she's doing is just sort of dismissed and her inability to really interact with others is assumed to just be because of the language barrier.

I also agree with this except to be totally honest the movie put the Americans more as do-gooder idiots then do-gooders who don't get foreign culture. I guess it's just a small nitpick but is or was there no translation service available to police in the state at the time?

In any case this is a really loving depressing movie that is worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread