Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
Saw this one year ago at the Berlinale and totally agree with your recommendation. In fact, I have kept an eye on the movie for the eventual (hopefully) DVD release. The Zellner brothers were there for a Q&A but all I remember is that they were asked why there was a dog stealing her stuff at the end and the answer was that it just felt right.
By the way the movie is based on an urban legend that is based on a true story. Check out this short documentary about the true case: https://vimeo.com/66512803

[EDIT:] Just remembered some other things they said. They started with the urban legend and tried to construct a story fitting it but with authentic charcters. For Kunikos motivation they wanted to show real office lady culture in Japan (from my limited experience I think they succeeded) but they also said that it was actually hard to find a good location to film it because it is dying out right now. So I don't think their purpose was really to critique this even if there is some implicit criticism. I think it is more about Kumikos inability to deal with the societal expectations. Similarily I don't remember the movie being particularly critical of the US. For example the ignorance of the cop for example felt more like a personal trait and perhaps a small nod to how out there it would be for a Japanese woman to be in Fargo like this. Though it has been over a year since I saw it.

true.spoon fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread