Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kangra
May 7, 2012

Maybe they're just reading a Russian Bible. Though why they're in the middle of it when the Book of [the]* Revelation is usually at the end is anyone's guess. The verses are accurate (seven trumpets start in Chapter 8), but as observed, it's really unclear how it's supposed to correlate with the deaths. The 'star falling from heaven to the earth' was given the key to the Abyss, and that's about the best we've seen.

The #6 trumpet leads to the release of the four angels held at the Euphrates. That might seem like a reference to finding all the remaining women, but once they are free those angels let loose an army of 200 million horsemen that devastates the Earth.

*there's a convention to calling it the Book of Revelation despite this being confusing. Song of Solomon gets an article, the Revelation to John doesn't. An alternate title is Apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Kangra posted:

Maybe they're just reading a Russian Bible. Though why they're in the middle of it when the Book of [the]* Revelation is usually at the end is anyone's guess. The verses are accurate (seven trumpets start in Chapter 8), but as observed, it's really unclear how it's supposed to correlate with the deaths. The 'star falling from heaven to the earth' was given the key to the Abyss, and that's about the best we've seen.

The #6 trumpet leads to the release of the four angels held at the Euphrates. That might seem like a reference to finding all the remaining women, but once they are free those angels let loose an army of 200 million horsemen that devastates the Earth.

*there's a convention to calling it the Book of Revelation despite this being confusing. Song of Solomon gets an article, the Revelation to John doesn't. An alternate title is Apocalypse.
Clearly though, the Book of Revelations is bad with math because we've saved 5 lovely angels....or do we have a demon in angel's clothing?

Also I might have a fun bonus video ready to do; we'll just have to see.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So, Question... can you actually fail to save any of them by dicking around too long? Or is there a reason to not walk around till your battery is full?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Drakenel posted:

So, Question... can you actually fail to save any of them by dicking around too long? Or is there a reason to not walk around till your battery is full?
You can later, but as of right now, no. I mostly just don't want to dick around to refill the battery because it's a bit dull for me to do and as we've seen the hints can sometimes be a bit useless. Still I will say that this game doesn't ever go into completely illogical adventure game puzzle realm; like when the girls ran away they didn't magically transport to nonsensical places. Also the game is still pretty forgiving about deaths; I mean the only really dickish death in this area is if you stumble back into the Aya death bathroom before finding Eri and Natsumi in the library you will die. The other deaths would involve the player purposely, and idiotically, going back straight into areas where they just left the monster.

Also I'm torn with showing off the millipede death cause I think it won't be super amazing and I don't know if I have a save around that point/do I want to retread the game for a 20 second cutscene.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

All the bodies are fake don't be fooled!

The monsters? Just Higuchi in a bad wig.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011
The way the entire crew except Camera-chan ignores Yukari after the beginning makes me feel really weird, for some reason. She even gets her own unusually neat bedroom which is conspicuously ignored. :tinfoil:

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010

Kangra posted:

The verses are accurate (seven trumpets start in Chapter 8), but as observed, it's really unclear how it's supposed to correlate with the deaths. The 'star falling from heaven to the earth' was given the key to the Abyss, and that's about the best we've seen.

Since I'm finally at a working computer, I can clear up what verses the deaths were referring too. I had to do a ton of research to double check that the translations made at least a little bit of sense (Finding a Japanese language Bible is surprisingly hard). It'll be a lot easier too now that we've had a glimpse at Higuchi's Memo.

Death 1: Plan was Okuyama falling to his death, bloody. Actual death is unconfirmed as of yet.
Revelation 8:7 "The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up."

Death 2: Plan was Matsumura crucified on a sea chart. Faked, but actual death was later in the make up room.
Revelation 8:8 " And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;

Death 3: Plan was Higuchi burned in a bathtub of sulfuric acid. Aya was killed instead, with only proof of her pants. Later her torso falls from the ceiling.
Revelation 8:10 - 8:11 "And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter."

Death 4: Plan was Tan hung upside down, and stabbed, possibly covered with feathers. Instead, Kirina was found covered with a flag with an eagle on it.
Revelation 8:12 - 8:13 "And the fourth angel sounded, and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars; so as the third part of them was darkened, and the day shone not for a third part of it, and the night likewise.
And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe,"
That last bolded angel is sometimes translated to "eagle" in some versions of the Bible.

Death 5: Plan was Ryouko dying violently. Instead Matsumura dies again, already bloody and gets hit with a chandelier. A key is in his pocket. Higuchi is found dead and burned with acid in the attic.
Revelation 9:1 - 9:2 "And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit."
9:2 probably refers to us getting knocked out. And maybe you could assume smoke = burned Higuchi.

Death 6: No plan. Ryouko is found stabbed, feathered, and brokenly stuffed in a crate. Probably a reference to Tan's original planned death.
Revelation 9:3 -9:10 A little more obscure, but these verses refer to locusts that are described as " like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months."

TL;DR: The biblical references are loose and just for spoopy purposes.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

The true mastermind is revealed!

More importantly, there is only one real video left. All will be revealed for reals next time.

Post Processing posted:

TL;DR: The biblical references are loose and just for spoopy purposes.
I spooped my pants. But not out of fear.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I can't wait for the finale.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I particularly enjoyed how that grate was held on by like kindergarten paste.

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I particularly enjoyed how that grate was held on by like kindergarten paste.

The fake grunting was funny. He was trying so hard to position it just right without accidentally knocking it off before he could 'pry' it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Everything ends pretty much how you expect.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
The gently caress did I just watch?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

The gently caress did I just watch?

Andy Warhol's 1964 experimental classic "Empire".

As for what the video in the thread was, that I can't help you with.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I.. What? Wha... What the gently caress...? What the gently caress?!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The alternate non-game over ending should have been the real one, just because it makes slightly more sense than Villain Tan and its also far more badass.

I assume the Villain Tan ending doesn't change too much and at worst it just has Camera-san and Yukari leave?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yeah, the ritual ending is better. even though there is stuff to support the evil Tan ending it still felt like it came a bit out of nowhere. I felt like it just deflated a bit in the final video.

BTW did I miss what the jewels where for? Niggurath said he would explain during the credits but it seems he missed that.

Thank you Niggurath, Panzer & PostProcessing for showing this game off, despite all it was actually pretty neat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
truly, the fear has been put into me

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Of course, Satan was a giant sky-octopus this whole time. I shoulda known.

This was a really neat game and I'm glad you were able to show it off. :) It was on the short side and felt a little rushed at times but honestly that's not a bad thing in the FMV genre where most games took pride in the ludicrous number of discs they came on.

Also can I say the monster makeup was really good? Because it was really good. (I'm assuming it was makeup and not a computer effect because everything that was obviously a computer effect looked really janky)

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010
The end! I had a lot of fun translating this (and am still translating all the choices and branches on the site) just because it turns so batshit by the end of it. When Niggurath was still streaming it and I was scanning the guide for plot, I came across the entries titled "Mayumi explodes" and whatnot and knew I was in for a treat.

And I really do love that Kirina ending where Tan gets to be the good guy. His actor Shunsuke Matsuoka is a really cool dude who apparently has own laid back clothing line that he makes in Nepal.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
That CGI on the monster girls :cripes:

Any way, great LP.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

See I knew all of those tentacles were just Higuchi in a wig.

Not much else to say about the ending, though I feel bad for homeless guy.

CremePudding
Oct 30, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

The alternate non-game over ending should have been the real one, just because it makes slightly more sense than Villain Tan and its also far more badass.

I assume the Villain Tan ending doesn't change too much and at worst it just has Camera-san and Yukari leave?

Yeah, Tan's ending is not even good in a cheesy way - Mastermind in a Hawaiian shirt, remote control, supernova explosion, none of that mesh well at all with the mansion and prior deaths.

Both Ryouko and Kirina's ending are so much better. That floating blood CGI and the Satan looked really slick, while Ryouko is hammy enough as a cultist.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CremePudding posted:

Both Ryouko and Kirina's ending are so much better. That floating blood CGI and the Satan looked really slick, while Ryouko is hammy enough as a cultist.
Kirina's is also a stonecold badass and best character in the game. Chucking a fire bomb on an Elder God without missing a beat and walking away from a burning mansion while lighting a cig; it feels like the origin story of a professional monster hunter.

But yeah, this game managed to be pretty cheesy fun throughout. Funny thing is if this game came out now I think it might have come over, because FMV games are starting to feel like they are making a small comeback.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Tan's ending was the only one that explained why someone was still loving around with the monster costume while people were Actually Dying, so it has to be the canon one by default, even if the Cthulhu ending is clearly the raddest one

pretty obvious it only exists because kirina's actress is a bigger star than everyone else in the game to a hilarious degree though

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hel posted:

Yeah, the ritual ending is better. even though there is stuff to support the evil Tan ending it still felt like it came a bit out of nowhere. I felt like it just deflated a bit in the final video.

BTW did I miss what the jewels where for? Niggurath said he would explain during the credits but it seems he missed that.

Thank you Niggurath, Panzer & PostProcessing for showing this game off, despite all it was actually pretty neat.
Oops, yeah, I did forget to explain that but once you get all the gems you get a movie viewer that lets you watch all the cinematics you've unlocked. Which is a bit overwhelming because it's literally like 400 scenes and what's even worse about it all is that once you unlock every scene for a particular girl it unlocks some additional cutscene that is some photo session? Neither I, nor Post Processing, could really get much information on it and gently caress unlocking every scene because that would take so many play throughs.

dijon du jour posted:

Of course, Satan was a giant sky-octopus this whole time. I shoulda known.

This was a really neat game and I'm glad you were able to show it off. :) It was on the short side and felt a little rushed at times but honestly that's not a bad thing in the FMV genre where most games took pride in the ludicrous number of discs they came on.

Also can I say the monster makeup was really good? Because it was really good. (I'm assuming it was makeup and not a computer effect because everything that was obviously a computer effect looked really janky)
While the monster make-up was good, and the cutscene CG were fine, I still cannot get over how bad the in-game models were for the turned girls. Like even after playing this game through so many times....it's just so bad.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I was pretty fond of Tan as a character, so I liked the Cthulu ending better since it felt like better character development.

This is kinda a mess, but here we go. I was trying to do too much with it, I think. I've got a version with tentacles too, but that's like way too busy.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
That was great. I love the heart that was put into this game.

Thanks for the lp niggurath and everyone else who helped make it happen.

What with the release of Contradiction and all I hope FMV sees a resurgence at some point though I'm sure it is just a pipe dream.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Also yokaiy is amazingly talented and gave me another great piece of fan art.

coleman francis posted:

That was great. I love the heart that was put into this game.

Thanks for the lp niggurath and everyone else who helped make it happen.

What with the release of Contradiction and all I hope FMV sees a resurgence at some point though I'm sure it is just a pipe dream.
Yeah, the biggest props go to both PostProcessing for doing an amazing job with the translation work and for Panzer Skank being super nice with doing the subtitle/daijobu count (with a whooping 40! of them). I'm just the dummy who recorded this and spoke stupidly over the videos.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

coleman francis posted:

There's Tesla Effect and Her Story too, you should definitely check out the latter its a great game. Really the tech for FMV games just wasn't up to par during the 90's, now it is. Hell, The Fear proves that FMV could be pretty solid in the PS2 era, the only drawback that it had back then was that it had to be on multiple disks.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Let's Play Fear- Bonus 4: Love Story

So one last bonus video for the road, this was the other FMV game that Enix made and it is quite different from The Fear....and yet in many ways the same. Mostly it's the same in the fact that it's super weird. Also sorry if I get drowned out a bit at times in the video, the audio balance in the game is a bit poop. Just realize I'm probably not saying anything worth hearing.

Also I totally forgot, but PostProcessing has the trailer for The Fear and it's loving amazing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQTHVdOfCk. I would have posted it earlier but holy poo poo does it give away like almost all of the game.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 9, 2015

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010
I had considered translating Love Story at some point but it's super text AND voice heavy like you saw in the gameplay part. And I guess since it's hard to find, that puts it even farther back on the list.

You guessed right on most of it, you see her inner thoughts with the arrows and I think the main story is that you're sent as her guardian as a chance at reincarnation or redemption. Rina's an idol who may have lost someone close to her (I think she's the kid at the viking funeral and carries around a bell you can also use to "talk" to her) so you're healing her heart or whatever. The thoughts she had while she was singing were things like "Who am I even doing this for anymore." The player character seems like kinda an rear end in a top hat in the beginning so you have to judge the least stupid thing to say.

Again though, thanks for streaming and LPing this. It's been an experience :)

Post Processing fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 9, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Finished watching the videos, and I think everything I wanted to say has already been said. It's a shame Higuchi didn't play a part in any of the endings.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
I don't know what amount of foreshadowing could have prepared me for that ending, but the alternates were neat, especially that the whole picture of victims and culprits could change based purely on what was and wasn't investigated. What an odd nexus of When They Cry and Clock Tower.

Anyways, thanks for banging out another solid horror LP. They all lived happily ever after?

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

That is amazing.

Post Processing
Mar 26, 2010

This is super sugoi [Translator's note: "sugoi" means awesome]

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

tomanton posted:

I don't know what amount of foreshadowing could have prepared me for that ending, but the alternates were neat, especially that the whole picture of victims and culprits could change based purely on what was and wasn't investigated. What an odd nexus of When They Cry and Clock Tower.

Anyways, thanks for banging out another solid horror LP. They all lived happily ever after?

This is super wonderful and going in the OP. What's not wonderful though is that to unlock all the movies, you have to beat the game with every possible combination of girl (cause they seriously filmed scenes for Yukari alive, Eri alive, Mika alive, but not Mayumi, and every combination from that). It's quite insane to me, though I don't think Camera-san ever tries to get with any of them.

Post Processing posted:

This is super sugoi [Translator's note: "sugoi" means awesome]
I think it's amazing that you prophesied Camera-san's existence so very long ago:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That reminds me, we never saw Camera-san's face.

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

We saw it all the time!
His face is rather protruding and so heavy he needs to constantly support it with one arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think you can see it for like a split second during Kirina's ending when Camera-san has his camera taken away.

• Locked thread