Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
He slashed the budget like a vandal and just had to borrow close to $1-billion to fix the roads and bridges (which are in a horrible state right now) just so he wouldn't have to raise taxes or fees to bolster his campaign's "Hurf durf, I don't raise taxes vote for me durf hurf" message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
He hosed my union with an uncut pineapple on a stick to the point that we have no protection from our employer anymore if they want to do shady stuff like skip testing and treatment for communicable diseases when a patient spits on us (which has literally happened within the past couple months). For all the turds that cry :downs: : "You don't need your union anymore, OSHA's got your back"

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Arian_Samurai posted:

Fences are nice, however they will do nothing to protect us from the Mole People

Well you know I talked to a geologist and a seismologist at a brown bag town hall event in Ames yesterday that raised this legitimate concern, so I'm adding that to my platform. We want to build a multi-million square mile subterranean dome to protect us from the mole people. This is a big, bold, fresh idea that isn't a product of Washington, but rather from a maverick outsider who knows how to stand up to challenges. If I can stand up to 100,000 protesters at my doorstep, I can stand up to Emperor Xazazzaphyx and his merry band of mole men.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's going to be funny when he's forced to abandon his campaign and returns to Wisconsin to gently caress we state workers like a dog in the streets. Whipping us is how he licks his wounds.

Still, witnessing the man broken is worth it.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
As a Wisconsin state employee, he's going to come back and rain a firestorm on my ilk in retribution and...

IT'S TOTALLY WORTH IT FOR THIS

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hilario Baldness posted:

he's going to come back and rain a firestorm on my ilk in retribution

And right on queue he and his legislature are trying to change the Wisconsin retirement system for state employees. They're trying to to change your pension from the average of your three highest years to your five highest years.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

he's the reason they ran Tom goddamn Barrett in two consecutive elections

In all fairness he was an infinitely stronger candidate than Kathleen Falk was for the recall election. Tom Barrett is a class act all around and they hoped he would stand out against the perception of Scott Walker as a dick.

Aside from that gently caress Tate.

Edit: wrote Elizabeth instead of Kathleen, I am potatohead hear me roar

Hilario Baldness has issued a correction as of 01:04 on Sep 27, 2015

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Top City Homo posted:

too bad he isn't dead

amen

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer
[/wisconsindemocracy]

The New York Times posted:

CHICAGO — Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, who gave up his quest for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination last month, signed into law on Friday a measure that limits a longstanding tool against political corruption that has been used in investigations of Mr. Walker and his allies.

The John Doe law, as it is called in Wisconsin, has given prosecutors the power to obtain search warrants and order people to testify and turn over documents in investigations that typically take place in secret.

Under the measure, which easily passed both Republican-controlled chambers of the State Legislature, prosecutors will no longer be allowed to use the John Doe law to investigate crimes that include bribery and misconduct in office. The legislation will also limit proceedings to six months and lift an order that barred subjects of an investigation from discussing it publicly.

Prosecutors can still use the John Doe law to investigate violent crimes and drug-related felonies.

Six of Mr. Walker’s aides or allies were convicted as a result of a John Doe investigation. Mr. Walker’s former government office and, later, his campaign were the focus of John Doe investigations of campaign activities and fund-raising, but he was never charged.

Kelly M. Rindfleisch, deputy chief of staff to Mr. Walker during his time as Milwaukee county executive, pleaded guilty in 2012 to felony misconduct in public office after facing charges that she had used county time to perform campaign work.

Republicans said the change in the law was required to curb what they called unnecessarily long and intrusive investigations that amounted to political witch hunts. They said that other tools, like grand juries, could be used to investigate possible political crimes. In a joint statement last month, Robin Vos, the Assembly speaker, and Scott Fitzgerald, the Senate majority leader, said the legislation would allow “sensible changes to the state’s broad John Doe statutes.”

This week, the Assembly approved the bill overwhelmingly, 61 to 36, and the Senate passed it 18 to 14. Both votes fell along party lines.

Democrats denounced the bill as a measure to give politicians cover for committing crimes in office.

Peter Barca, the Democratic minority leader of the Assembly, said last week in anticipation of the bill’s passing, “The era of clean, open and transparent government in Wisconsin is over.”

“I fear for the future of democracy in Wisconsin, and I am not overstating the problem, in my judgment,” Mr. Barca said. Democrats also decried a bill, passed this week, to loosen campaign finance restrictions in the state.

Jennifer Shilling, the Senate minority leader, said in a statement on Friday that the bill to limit use of the John Doe law was “a gross abuse of political power.”

“Republicans should be less concerned about covering up Governor Walker’s political scandals and more focused on helping hardworking Wisconsin families,” she said.

Laurel Patrick, a spokeswoman for Mr. Walker, did not respond to a request for comment.

Jay Heck, executive director of Common Cause in Wisconsin, a nonprofit organization that lobbies for clean and open government and opposed the new legislation, said the John Doe law had allowed district attorneys to successfully prosecute political corruption that might not have been pursued otherwise.

“What this new law does is it exempts from the John Doe process crimes that are committed involving elections, campaign finance and ethics,” he said. “In other words, the crimes that politicians would be most likely to commit. They have carved out a special exemption for themselves.”

This is an honest question; is there another governor more authoritarian and pathological than Scotty?

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I gotta get out of this state.

Get out of this state before it KILLS YOU. AND YOU HAVE TO PROVE THAT IT KILLED YOU.

Andrew Bahl, The Daily Cardinal posted:

Legislative Republicans circulated a bill last week that would significantly change the state’s worker’s compensation laws.

The proposal would diminish the amount of compensation owed to an employee who was injured due to negligence, reduce the statute of limitations for “traumatic injuries” to two years and require that employees seek treatment within the employer’s health care network.

The bill’s co-authors, state Rep. John Spiros, R-Marshfield, and state Sen. Duey Stroebel, R-Saukville, said the bill would prevent workers from abusing the system.

“This bill continues to ensure that when an employee is injured at work, the employee will be covered under worker’s comp with the goal of receiving the necessary treatment and returning to work within his or her limitations,” the authors wrote in a memo seeking co-sponsorship. “However the bill will also ensure that the system is not abused and the scales of justice remain balanced and impartial.”

The measure would also authorize the state to more aggressively investigate fraud claims and exempt employers from paying temporary disability payments if the employee is fired for good cause.

The memo said the bill incorporates changes proposed last session, in addition to adding “several measures that address fraud and unfairness within the worker’s comp system.”

State Rep. Christine Sinicki, D-Milwaukee, said the changes would be “devastating” to the system, which originated in the state over a century ago, and that it is a continuation of a series of attacks on Wisconsin workers.

“The most important part of this is striking down 100 years of history on worker’s comp,” Sinicki said, adding that the bill continues a “constant chipping away of worker’s rights and worker protections” initiated by Legislative Republicans.

Sinicki also accused the co-authors of circumventing the state’s Worker’s Compensation Advisory Council, a coalition of labor and business leaders which advises the Legislature on the issue.

“Republicans have disregarded the Advisory Council,” Sinicki said. “It’s not an agreed upon bill, therefore it is not properly introduced to the Legislature.”

Sinicki noted that the bill could be up for a public hearing as soon as next week.

To be introduced tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

Grimey Drawer

It's going to last for 5 seconds until the state supreme court overturns it.

• Locked thread