Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Pomp posted:

my first exposure to high level fighting games was watching an endless Guile vs. Dhalsim on an evo stream followed by Fei Long and Yun everywhere.

For some reason I was enthralled????

True believer.

Are they going to be revealing another sf5 character?on one hand it would be weird not to at Evo, but they did just show off Ken at comic con.

After that weird Ken redesign I'm worried what they're going to do to Sagat. (and still hoping they add Urien)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Gibbo posted:

Are they going to be revealing another sf5 character?on one hand it would be weird not to at Evo, but they did just show off Ken at comic con.

After that weird Ken redesign I'm worried what they're going to do to Sagat. (and still hoping they add Urien)

A Capcom rep confirmed at SDCC that they were gonna have another SFV announcement at Evo. So far the rumored rosters don't list Sagat but do have Urien. It's all pretty much rumors until something gets confirmed next weekend either way though :v:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

I think the final SF pools at EVO 2k13 is one of my favorite things, when Xian with Gen won it all :allears:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One of my favorite Evo moments was from a few years ago where during a SF4 game, in the last round, one guy was completely dominating. His opponent had only a couple pixels left and he hadn't been hit once. He then taunted. The opponent not only punished him for it, but he proceeded to completely thrash him for the next ten seconds and win the match. The guy then got up and angrily stormed off.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Concurred posted:

I think the final SF pools at EVO 2k13 is one of my favorite things, when Xian with Gen won it all :allears:
all the best street fighter 4 tournaments involve pr balrog almost pulling through and winning one for america before getting smashed by an asian person

edit: sf5 comes out march of next year. do you guys think 2016 will be the last year of sf4 at evo?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Manoueverable posted:

A Capcom rep confirmed at SDCC that they were gonna have another SFV announcement at Evo. So far the rumored rosters don't list Sagat but do have Urien. It's all pretty much rumors until something gets confirmed next weekend either way though :v:

Many mixed feelings about that. I don't want to have to switch back to Cammy.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Marn still considered a walking biohazard?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Waddling maybe

Selane
May 19, 2006

Can we convert this into a 'make fun of marn' thread? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9caTktglhUI

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What did Marn do to ruin a GG major?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Pomp posted:

What did Marn do to ruin a GG major?
Was running brackets in a tournament he was playing in, allegedly rigged them so he could coast into taking the tournament. He alleges he was just high when he made the brackets and didn't rig them purposefully.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mango sentinel posted:

Was running brackets in a tournament he was playing in, allegedly rigged them so he could coast into taking the tournament. He alleges he was just high when he made the brackets and didn't rig them purposefully.

Haha, what the gently caress.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
He was high, rigged or made really hosed up brackets, disappeared so nobody could find him, so they got pissed and cancelled the tournament. This was at Seasons Beatings in 2006 or 7. Then at EVO in 2007 half the teams didn't show up on time for finals (which included Marn & FlashMetroid) and when the finals did start, nobody showed up to watch.

People say he "ruined GG at EVO" but it was back at EVO in 2009 after people who weren't him or FlashMetroid put a lot of effort into running side tournaments to show the community could actually come together and promote itself and have good tournaments. Thankfully they're not really part of that or any other scene anymore. The main reason it hasn't been back until now is because of the lack of updates. AC+ came out but was a year old by EVO 2009 and was still running on PS2 and BlazBlue had just gotten released on new consoles and started getting regular updates after that. AC+ wasn't released on new consoles until late 2012 and by that time the arcade version was already updated to AC+R. AC+R took a year to come out on console and BlazBlue was much more popular when EVO 2014 came around.

I'd probably blame ArcSys more for Guilty Gear not being at more EVOs. If AC+R had come out at a reasonable time it's possible it could've had a place in 2013. Thankfully XRD is out and a shitton of ridiculously good Japanese players are coming and it will be by far the biggest & best Guilty Gear tournament ever.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 14, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

cams posted:

all the best street fighter 4 tournaments involve pr balrog almost pulling through and winning one for america before getting smashed by an asian person

edit: sf5 comes out march of next year. do you guys think 2016 will be the last year of sf4 at evo?

There's a very high chance SF5 replaces SF4, depending on when it comes out.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I suspect SF4 has at least one more year as a legacy game, but this is definitely its last year as a main event.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Not even close.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Sf4 is gone like the wind when v comes out because that's how it works

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
So! Side-tournaments and stuff! The AnimEVO guys put up a list of all the various side tournaments that'll be going on that they know about. So there's your KOF! And Project M! And Catherine. I keep forgetting Catherine's apparently a thing.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

cams posted:

Regardless, this year will be the last that anyone really cares about or practices SF4, so whoever wins now will be the "final" champion.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The Kins posted:

So! Side-tournaments and stuff! The AnimEVO guys put up a list of all the various side tournaments that'll be going on that they know about. So there's your KOF! And Project M! And Catherine. I keep forgetting Catherine's apparently a thing.

Yay, KOF, VampSavior, Skullgirls, and even CVS2.

What's this Catherine thing? That Qix-clone with the disturbing story about some dude's sexual life? How would a tournament based on that work?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Yay, KOF, VampSavior, Skullgirls, and even CVS2.

What's this Catherine thing? That Qix-clone with the disturbing story about some dude's sexual life? How would a tournament based on that work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCUT7Jrr6dE

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm on minute 4 of that video and it's.. it is kind of hype.

"Never stop til you reach the top". Wisest words.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 14, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gavok posted:

One of my favorite Evo moments was from a few years ago where during a SF4 game, in the last round, one guy was completely dominating. His opponent had only a couple pixels left and he hadn't been hit once. He then taunted. The opponent not only punished him for it, but he proceeded to completely thrash him for the next ten seconds and win the match. The guy then got up and angrily stormed off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLR8hORvUB0

Electromax
May 6, 2007
My first high level fighting game exposure was ordering Tekken top 16 DVDs a week after evo in 2003. YouTube (then streaming) was a revolution. I remember MadDogJin vs RyanHart and that T4 was all Jins to TTT's better diversity. Tekken 3 was my first fighting game I learned really.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
This will always be my favorite Evo final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAsUqN1KPjw

It's too bad all of the videos stop at the same spot, I wish I could see more of the aftermath.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

Catherine is seriously hype as hell. They totally didn't need to put a VS multiplayer mode in that game but they did and it's fantastic.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

As someone who has never played or watched Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, could someone give me the skinny? Just a take on what it's about, what to expect, any interesting history to it as a tournament game, etc.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Here's a playlist of Ultradavid and James Chen doing a big old Evo preview for your enjoyment :)

e: ^^^ Part 4 of the playlist above is dedicated to Persona and other anime games

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Gavok posted:

As someone who has never played or watched Persona 4 Arena Ultimax, could someone give me the skinny? Just a take on what it's about, what to expect, any interesting history to it as a tournament game, etc.

It's an anime game by Arc System Works, the same developers as Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. It has a pretty small scene, and the 2nd lowest # of entrants in the tournament (KI has the fewest). It's a cool game; lots of airdashes, the ridiculous mixups/oki that ASW games are known for, and it has waifus.

Probably the most notable thing about P4AU is that while anime games are traditionally dominated by the japanese, Americans have a strong chance of winning the tournament this year with how strong Banana Ken has been playing.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Gavok posted:

SA's own appleken will desperately try to unblockable the japanese to victory, for the honor of america and his daki waifu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ixiggle posted:

SA's own appleken will desperately try to unblockable the japanese to victory, for the honor of america and his daki waifu.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Princes. You're all princes. Thank you.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I was watching top 8 of SF4 last year and I completely forgot Sako was in top 8. That's a guy that rarely appeared this year, and it makes me sad.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

cams posted:

:hf: In some parallel universe PR beat Strider and reset Kazunoko to take CEO.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Gavok posted:

Sounds like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JsgRnBazeSY

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tae posted:

I was watching top 8 of SF4 last year and I completely forgot Sako was in top 8. That's a guy that rarely appeared this year, and it makes me sad.

This. Him and gamerbee are the only ones who play Elena regularly :( The rare times I did get to watch Sako's Elena have always been a delight.

Ladderface
Jul 30, 2005

Mmmm-HHHMMMmmm...
Been forever since I've seen high level Catherine and I'm hyyyyyype.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I had no idea there was a competitive Catherine scene.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I thought he had more of a lead, but that appears to be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

I had no idea there was a competitive Catherine scene.

it was pretty much only Norcal propping up the scene, then they got tired of it about a year or so after release.

• Locked thread