Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Snaxxor posted:

Negative on the clicking/scraping, it feels like it wants to do something when its plugged in a slight vibration is emitted. There is nothing major though.

That's not great. If it was totally dead you could have tried pulling off the TVS diode. As it seems to be spinning up but the BIOS doesn't see it then you're in a bad place. I would boot the system with a unix CD or similar and see if it detects the disk, as they have a slightly different detection method.

Disassembly is the last thing to try, especially if it isn't making weird noises as though the heads are stuck. Does it feel like the motor is spinning up a normal amount, or does it cut out almost immediately? Not that I have a solution for you if it's one or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread