Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The odds against my specific birth are extremely unlikely, but the odds against childbirth in general aren't.

The argument is specifically for the continued existence of our non-atomically-obliterated civilisation, and that it is incredibly unlikely that we should still have a non-destroyed civilisation.

But it may not be incredibly unlikely that a random observer would observe a non-destroyed civilisation, if it were the case that a multiverse existed. Further to that, if that observer had been born in a period where nuclear conflict was unlikely, they would be likely to underestimate the odds of it should they rise again for exactly the reasons you're giving here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

OwlFancier posted:

The odds against my specific birth are extremely unlikely, but the odds against childbirth in general aren't.

The argument is specifically for the continued existence of our non-atomically-obliterated civilisation, and that it is incredibly unlikely that we should still have a non-destroyed civilisation.

It's more like you plotting out my entire life before I was born and then turning out to have been 100% correct than simply a child being born to my parents.

There is such a thing as survivor bias but nuclear armageddon probably wouldn't wipe out all life on the planet, it'd just make it really lovely, so I don't think that applies. Nuclear war isn't an existential risk as much as it is a massive drop in quality of life.

You're disregarding what happened to fit your worldview.

Here's what happned: there were quite a few close calls during the Clod War. Aside from the events where a malfunction indicated a launch and someone didn't raise the alarm, there were alos quite a few political close-calls, such as the Cuban Missile Crisis, that were averted only because a few people worked really hard to prevent nuclear war. There were powerful political actors who believed in using nuclear weapons and the fact that they didn't is testament to the hard work of people whor ealized how crazy that is and somehow managed to stop them.

To simply dismiss the close-calls we had is to dismiss a very real risk. When we say insanely lucky, it's not jsut the odds we ebat, but also what would have happened had the odds not been beaten. A 10% chance is not that improbable, but when the 90% failure state is world destruction, you appreciated that luck a lot more.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CommieGIR posted:

It helps that even the groups who manage and operate ICBMs and Nuclear First Strike capabilities have acknowledged that a nuclear war is not winnable.

IMHO, this is why a nuclear holocaust is unlikely. Everyone who can use the serious weaponry also knows the only way to win is to not play.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

Here's what happned: there were quite a few close calls during the Clod War. Aside from the events where a malfunction indicated a launch and someone didn't raise the alarm, there were alos quite a few political close-calls, such as the Cuban Missile Crisis, that were averted only because a few people worked really hard to prevent nuclear war. There were powerful political actors who believed in using nuclear weapons and the fact that they didn't is testament to the hard work of people whor ealized how crazy that is and somehow managed to stop them.

It helps that the military leaders on both sides didn't share the politicians point of view, because most of the guys who ran the systems had the hard data and studies that showed that a nuclear exchange was not a fight worth starting.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Kaal posted:

That's just a bunch of unsupported hypotheticals. If he had not been working that day, and someone else had who decided to run it up the chain of command instead, and each of those layers ignored the strategic policy and the lack of corroboration, and they had recommended a retaliation, and Andropov had decided to not use the red phone and/or decided to go ahead with firing, and the missiles were actually fired, and the Americans retaliated in kind, and those missiles weren't deactivated in mid-flight ... I mean suggesting that it just came down to a roll of the dice and a gut call is just so completely reductive and dismissive of the realities of the Cold War systems.

It's hypothetical but not exactly unsupported given the context in which this entire incident took place, the dying Andropov's supposed paranoia toward the US, and the very small window of time in which decisions would have been made. Even the sources that you've posted portray this incident as a close call. Even allowing for the fact that obviously a documentary wants to hype the incident it's covering for entertainment value, or that Petrov might have played up the urgency of the situation to make himself look better, pretty much anyone who has looked at this incident (and a few similar incidents scattered throughout the Cold War) tends to conclude that we came disturbingly close to a nuclear war here.

I don't know why you insist on seeing this basically uncontroversial claim as some kind of wild eyed anti-nuclear stance, unless it's just a debating tactic on your part. The Cold War never want hot, thankfully, but that doesn't mean there weren't close calls such as this one where having a different person on duty that day might have made all the difference.

quote:

And again, he was well within the bounds of that discretion. He could take all the time he liked to make his decision, and he could decide that it was not an attack. That was in fact his purpose as the duty officer. He instead correctly decided that it was a malfunction, based on the lack of corroborating evidence and his knowledge of MAD policy and reported it as such. I understand that you seem to just straight-up not believe me on this, but the fact is that I'm not going to go run down written sources that I haven't looked at in a decade. Since it doesn't seem like I'm making much of an impact anyway, I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not refusing to believe you, I'm asking for some kind of verification about your claims. If you have some way of knowing what the relevant duties of a Soviet commanding officer were in this context then share them or at least give some indication of where you gleaned this information rather than vaguely alluding to something you claim to have read a decade ago.

I'm open to persuasion on this point but what you're telling me goes against the grain of how the USSR operated in other policy areas. I've been lead to believe that the USSR's leadership was less inclined to delegate than the USA's leadership. Americans were more inclined to let lower level functionaries synthesize data into a detailed report that they'd then act upon, while the Soviets tended to want to sift through more of the raw data themselves.

Perhaps the USSR was more willing to delegate responsibility. That's plausible, but I'm asking for some actual evidence I can evaluate rather than you repeatedly asserting you're right and posting an American documentary that doesn't actually shed any light on Soviet decision making.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Helsing posted:

I'm open to persuasion on this point but what you're telling me goes against the grain of how the USSR operated in other policy areas. I've been lead to believe that the USSR's leadership was less inclined to delegate than the USA's leadership. Americans were more inclined to let lower level functionaries synthesize data into a detailed report that they'd then act upon, while the Soviets tended to want to sift through more of the raw data themselves.

Perhaps the USSR was more willing to delegate responsibility. That's plausible, but I'm asking for some actual evidence I can evaluate rather than you repeatedly asserting you're right and posting an American documentary that doesn't actually shed any light on Soviet decision making.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Even if it's really crazy super unlikely, wouldn't it be better not to have that possibility exist at all?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously, yes. But that's no longer an option currently.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

There is such a thing as survivor bias but nuclear armageddon probably wouldn't wipe out all life on the planet, it'd just make it really lovely, so I don't think that applies. Nuclear war isn't an existential risk as much as it is a massive drop in quality of life.

This. Nuclear weapons are somewhat overstated - we'd probably have to start from a low, low place, but it's not like killing everyone was either possible or anyone's objective. Nobody's going to carpet nuke central Africa or South Island in New Zealand or something, and though they would likely face starvation, they'd survive and rebuild.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CommieGIR posted:

It helps that the military leaders on both sides didn't share the politicians point of view, because most of the guys who ran the systems had the hard data and studies that showed that a nuclear exchange was not a fight worth starting.

In a few case, the reverse occurred: the american military during the Cuban Missile Crisis wanted to invade. It was the politicians who managed to go around their crazy generals and stave off war.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

In a few case, the reverse occurred: the american military during the Cuban Missile Crisis wanted to invade. It was the politicians who managed to go around their crazy generals and stave off war.

True, and the reverse being Nixon falsely proclaiming that he wanted to nuke the Vietcong just to help reinforce the idea that he was unhinged.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

To simply dismiss the close-calls we had is to dismiss a very real risk. When we say insanely lucky, it's not jsut the odds we ebat, but also what would have happened had the odds not been beaten. A 10% chance is not that improbable, but when the 90% failure state is world destruction, you appreciated that luck a lot more.

I'm suggesting that we should expect more often than not, when it actually comes time to fire the nukes, that someone will stop and think "this is a bad idea" and that the cold war as a pattern of attempts to destroy the world thwarted only by the actions of an unforseeable renegade few, isn't a great view.

People may bluster all they want but when faced with the inescapable conclusion that there is no winner of a nuclear exchange, people seem, with some regularity, to back off the idea somewhere along the line. And this should probably be the expected outcome.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

so instead of talking about loving multiverses and loaded dice can we please discuss the likelyhood of an allout nuclear holocaust

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

LeoMarr posted:

so instead of talking about loving multiverses and loaded dice can we please discuss the likelyhood of an allout nuclear holocaust

The likelihood in this universe is 1/100d100

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

LeoMarr posted:

Not likely enough

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

People seem fascinated by a terrorist nuke idea, but I'm not sure why any terrorist group would actually do that. Even ISIS would probably turn literally every hand against them, unless they used a nuke on an invading American army. (This, I feel, is the probable use case for most people wanting nukes nowadays.)

Like, has any actual terrorist group ever pursued this, or desired it?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The Japanese cult Aum Shinrikyo, which is probably about as close to a real life James Bond villain as we've ever gotten, tried to acquire some nukes in the late 1980s and may have detonated a nuclear device they had manufactured themselves in the Australian outback in the 1990s. Obviously chances are that this never happened but there's enough circumstantial evidence (such as an unexplained seismic event very close to the area where they were apparently mining uranium) that you can do some fun speculation. Aum is better known for manufacturing Sarin gas that they released on the Tokyo subways.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Nessus posted:

People seem fascinated by a terrorist nuke idea, but I'm not sure why any terrorist group would actually do that. Even ISIS would probably turn literally every hand against them, unless they used a nuke on an invading American army. (This, I feel, is the probable use case for most people wanting nukes nowadays.)

Like, has any actual terrorist group ever pursued this, or desired it?

I think Aum Shinrukyo would have readily used one. Other groups, who knows? you could get a crazy clique in charge who thinks it's a good idea. I wouldn't expect you would see many such people though, using a nuke will probably get half your continent blasted into a smooth mirror.

e; hey gently caress you buddy, I will nuke you :argh:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Strangely I notice our reaction was not to demand that Japan shut down all their nuclear reactors on the threat of an embargo. I wonder why? :v:

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Truga posted:

Obviously, yes. But that's no longer an option currently.

Is it because there's just insufficient political will for something as radical as gradual disarmament, or are there actual sensible reasons for maintaining gargantuan nuclear stockpiles?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Mister Adequate posted:

This. Nuclear weapons are somewhat overstated - we'd probably have to start from a low, low place, but it's not like killing everyone was either possible or anyone's objective. Nobody's going to carpet nuke central Africa or South Island in New Zealand or something, and though they would likely face starvation, they'd survive and rebuild.
Yeah, nuclear winter from the burning of the world's major cities is what would be the more relevant global concern, as far as the species goes.

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Is it because there's just insufficient political will for something as radical as gradual disarmament, or are there actual sensible reasons for maintaining gargantuan nuclear stockpiles?
Having a nuclear stockpile and a means of deployment makes you essentially immune to conventional invasion. Any put-upon regime has very sensible reasons to want one.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Any put-upon regime has very sensible reasons to want one.

Pretty much this. Nuclear weapons are basically THE guarantee that your country will not be invaded, because nobody wants to put a country with nukes in a situation where they have nothing to lose.

So long as they remain in the hands of rational countries, nuclear bombs/missiles are entirely a political tool for deterring military action. It's actually somewhat comforting to know that their primary use is in preventing war, even if they are still insanely scary for the catastrophic damage one could do if actually fired.

E: Also, anyone claiming we'll ever see nukes used as commonplace weaponry is insane. You'd end up with an irradiated hole where any obtainable resources would be, decades worth of negative PR from the fallout and its effects (think Vietnam and Agent Orange times a thousand), centuries worth of damage to the world per bomb, and retaliation. There is 100% no reason to ever use nuclear weapons where a typical ICBM or bomber payload could just as easily do the job.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 19, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

LeoMarr posted:

I think a lot of the discussion is asking the wrong question. Let me propose an alternative analysis:

The troublesome thought isn't what's the chance of a nuclear holocaust happening in any given particular year, or the chance that any given particular conflict will degenerate into nuclear holocaust, it's "what's the chance that a nuclear holocaust will eventually happen," and the longer the timescale the more that probability approaches 100%.

Eventually, barring universal disarmament, it'll happen. As long as multiple nations have large nuclear arsenals, the chance of those arsenals being used is non-zero, and if you buy enough lottery tickets eventually you pull a winner.

Phrased another way, the probability of a world-shattering nuclear holocaust happening eventually would seem to be (1-x), where X is the probability of universal nuclear disarmament. I unfortunately suspect that X is very small.

I also suspect that when the holocaust happens, the radiation, fallout, "nuclear winter," etc., will be sufficient to abolish all human life on earth, and possibly even all land-based life.

Of course, "eventually" is a long time. So, maybe not within our lifetimes? If we're lucky?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The presence of nuclear weapons on both sides didn't prevent the Pakistani army from invading de facto Indian territory in 1999. Nuclear weapons are probably enough to discourage a fullscale invasion such as the 2003 American attack on Iraq but government's may still try to to tear away bits and pieces of rival states, especially in situations where they can blaim the violence (however improbably) on some proxy force.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Eventually, barring universal disarmament, it'll happen. As long as multiple nations have large nuclear arsenals, the chance of those arsenals being used is non-zero, and if you buy enough lottery tickets eventually you pull a winner.

"Large" being the key factor here. Can one nuke cause a nuclear holocaust? Some argue yes, if you hit the right place (eg, New York City).

Depending on your definition of "nuclear holocaust" it might eventually happen or it might be literally impossible.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The troublesome thought isn't what's the chance of a nuclear holocaust happening in any given particular year, or the chance that any given particular conflict will degenerate into nuclear holocaust, it's "what's the chance that a nuclear holocaust will eventually happen," and the longer the timescale the more that probability approaches 100%.

While this is true, trying to predict events over a nearly infinite time frame doesn't seem very practical to me. Any number of things could happen before we'd face nuclear armageddon. For instance, who's to say we would still be on this planet by that point?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

It's kinda inevitable that another nuke will be used at some point in the future. Hopefully it just doesn't lead to a holocaust. I guess the interesting thing about nukes is throughout all of human history is when we've developed a new weapon with higher killing power we've produced as many as we can and liberally used them.

Nukes are the one weapon where we have stopped, wisely realizing the killing power is just too high.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Samuel Clemens posted:

While this is true, trying to predict events over a nearly infinite time frame doesn't seem very practical to me. Any number of things could happen before we'd face nuclear armageddon. For instance, who's to say we would still be on this planet by that point?

Well, I don't think we need to posit an infinite timeframe. It's all dependent on the chance of holocaust. If, for example, the chance of said holocaust in any given year is as small as 1%, then statistically, over a hundred years, it would happen once (and once it did, game over).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
IMHO universal disarmament can't happen any more.

It *might* have been possible when only two sides had nukes, but now there's a bunch of people not sided with either NATO or ex-Warsaw pact who have them. There's absolutely no way 6-7 parties will want to get rid of their stockpiles at the same point in time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, nuclear winter from the burning of the world's major cities is what would be the more relevant global concern, as far as the species goes.

I'm not entirely convinced that nuclear winter would be nearly as serious as has been suggested in the past. There were a lot of really clumsy assumptions made in the models that produced those predictions, and the same people who pushed the nuclear winter theory the strongest also made dire predictions about oil well fires in the Middle East that didn't pan out.

That said, it's obviously not something I'd like to see experimentally tested.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Truga posted:

IMHO universal disarmament can't happen any more.

It *might* have been possible when only two sides had nukes, but now there's a bunch of people not sided with either NATO or ex-Warsaw pact who have them. There's absolutely no way 6-7 parties will want to get rid of their stockpiles at the same point in time.

I think there's still a possible path to disarmament. Nuclear weapons are very expensive to maintain, so some powers might eventually be persuaded to dismantle under a mutual defense treaty (e.g. Britain, France, Israel, with a guarantee of support from the US) or otherwise through a brokered process overseen by outside powers (e.g. India, Pakistan).

That leaves the US, Russia, and China; and once the US and Russia reduce their stockpiles substantially, it's very possible China would be open to negotiating a disarmament since they could be assured that their enormous population and army would guarantee territorial integrity.

I'm not saying it would be easy at all - in fact, I think it would take enormous and prolonged effort, and it would have to remain a priority policy for key governments for many years. And even after all that, it might still fail, at least on the first attempt. But I don't think it's permanently impossible.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

There won't be nuclear war because a weapon which levels a city doesn't help nuclear powers win the conflicts they get into. Dropping a nuke doesn't help the US in Iraq and Afghanistan, and it doesn't help Russia in Ukraine. Even North Korea has no interest in flattening the south in nuclear hell-fire.

Over the last couple decades the US and Russia have quietly made massive progress in scaling back nuclear stockpiles, and securing nuclear material from falling into the wrong hands. Nuclear weapons will never be eliminated entirely (until they're somehow rendered completely obsolete), but they don't have to be. We just have to continue to live in a world where nobody in power sees anything to gain from using nuclear weapons in warfare.

Sure some terrorists are probably real keen on blowing up a city to make some point or another. However, If delivering nuclear bombs in duffel bags was as easy as in a Tom Clancy novel, I suspect nuclear delivery systems would be that and not billion dollar ICBMs which take decades to test and develop and are target #1 for the enemy's nuclear arsenal.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

There was some idiot Russian troll that was posting on a youtube video. (Literally kept going "LOL. I HOPE AMERICA GETS NUKED. LOL FAT PEOPLE. LOL MCDONALDS), and I came across a few of his stupid Anti-American rantings.

"Jake Wane 7 hours ago
Two thirds of the world are allied with us, so you're outnumbered. Also we have more nukes. "

I'm a bit puzzled as to where this dude gets his own sense of weird nationalism.

In terms of countries with nuclear weapon capacities that I would imagine would probably have aided us in the event Putin would go full stupid? The US would seem to have the UK, France, and Israel as direct allies in that regard. Not to mention the nations of Belgium, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands and Turkey all sharing weapons that we have per a NATO agreement.

I'm unsure what the hell India, or Pakistan would do. Plus I don't think the Chinese are exactly thrilled with the Russians, both presently and historically.

North Korea is literally the only group of people I could see going to bat for them. Even they are just kind of a joke.

But I'm a tad bit confused as to who in the world would align themselves with Russia in this idiot's fantasy land? Cuba? North Korea?

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 19, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that nuclear winter would be nearly as serious as has been suggested in the past. There were a lot of really clumsy assumptions made in the models that produced those predictions, and the same people who pushed the nuclear winter theory the strongest also made dire predictions about oil well fires in the Middle East that didn't pan out.

That said, it's obviously not something I'd like to see experimentally tested.
I tend to agree that the threat may be overstated, but that's still where the concern lies on the large scale.

Neurolimal posted:

E: Also, anyone claiming we'll ever see nukes used as commonplace weaponry is insane. You'd end up with an irradiated hole where any obtainable resources would be, decades worth of negative PR from the fallout and its effects (think Vietnam and Agent Orange times a thousand), centuries worth of damage to the world per bomb, and retaliation. There is 100% no reason to ever use nuclear weapons where a typical ICBM or bomber payload could just as easily do the job.
They're certainly never going to be commonplace weapons, but it's principally for the retaliation concern. Atmospheric detonation reduces the local, short-term radiation/fallout risk to an essentially negligible issue.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 20, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The atomic bomb is the only machine ever invented that creates peace.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

We've had nukes for what, 60 years now? It's really great we haven't blown ourselves up yet, lets see if we can keep it up for another 1000 years (lol)

Huttan
May 15, 2013

LeoMarr posted:

If the IRA nuked the white house, would we nuke Belfast?

If the IRA nukes DC, then Dublin would be the appropriate counterstrike. The IRA's goal is to reunify the island of Ireland by removing the British. Since most of their money comes from the US, nuking the US would be not in the realm of considering. If the IRA had nukes, Westminster Palace wold be ground zero.

Pray for triple yield.

LeoMarr posted:

So in what capacity would we or any country truly use nukes in any way shape or form?
Pakistan and India have engaged in open combat against each other, and I think that's the most likely place for any war to "go nuclear". Now that NK has nuclear weapons, there is no way at all that the US will invade. You can thank Bush for that.

During the Cold War, "mutually assured destruction" was the guiding philosophy. It turned all calculations into lose-lose: both sides could guarantee that the other side lost. As others have pointed out, it guarantees that no one will invade you.

Helsing posted:

The Japanese cult Aum Shinrikyo, which is probably about as close to a real life James Bond villain as we've ever gotten, tried to acquire some nukes in the late 1980s and may have detonated a nuclear device they had manufactured themselves in the Australian outback in the 1990s. Obviously chances are that this never happened but there's enough circumstantial evidence (such as an unexplained seismic event very close to the area where they were apparently mining uranium) that you can do some fun speculation. Aum is better known for manufacturing Sarin gas that they released on the Tokyo subways.

That cult did try to use anthrax on several occasions but even with their resources they were unable to weaponize it. That's why they turned to sarin. The book Amerithrax gives some details on their attempt at a biological weapon program. They did build an automated factory that built AK-47s.

Mikser
Nov 25, 2007

Kaal posted:

That's just a bunch of unsupported hypotheticals. If he had not been working that day, and someone else had who decided to run it up the chain of command instead, and each of those layers ignored the strategic policy and the lack of corroboration, and they had recommended a retaliation, and Andropov had decided to not use the red phone and/or decided to go ahead with firing, and the missiles were actually fired, and the Americans retaliated in kind, and those missiles weren't deactivated in mid-flight ... I mean suggesting that it just came down to a roll of the dice and a gut call is just so completely reductive and dismissive of the realities of the Cold War systems.

I don't disagree with the thrust of your argument, but the highlighted part is a misconception. Test missiles have flight termination systems fitted on for range safety purposes, but actual missiles are impossible to stop once launched. The reason should be obvious.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
One thing that has struck me is how much the owners of nuclear weapons didn't want to use them, at least after 1949 or so. Nukes were uncomfortable last resorts, and no one wanted to be the first to fire them off or the one to start a nuclear war - even if it was to their own detriment. Everyone kept their nukes on a hair trigger just in case, but they were understood to be a counterattack weapon only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
All out nuclear warfare would be bad for the Multinational Corporations which run all of the major governments, and therefore will not happen. As long as it is against Walmart, Coca-Cola and Exxon-Mobiles best interests to not have nuclear warfare, it won't happen.

• Locked thread