Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I would definitely recommend 1404 for that price. 2070 is a pretty okay pickup too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, I started with 1404, and to be honest I like it way more than 2070. Balance feels better and the aesthetic is lively and fun.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Yeah, I started with 1404, and to be honest I like it way more than 2070. Balance feels better and the aesthetic is lively and fun.

I'd be interested to hear you elaborate on this a bit. I tried 1404 and just couldn't get into it - there's no ecobalance, there's no power grid, there's no aircraft, there's no submarines, there's only two factions instead of three, no research academy, no ark, it just seemed so much shallower than 2070. The land combat was interesting if very slow paced (but that's Anno for you), but apart from that it just seemed like 2070 but a lot less of it. What am I overlooking?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Mzbundifund posted:

I'd be interested to hear you elaborate on this a bit. I tried 1404 and just couldn't get into it - there's no ecobalance, there's no power grid, there's no aircraft, there's no submarines, there's only two factions instead of three, no research academy, no ark, it just seemed so much shallower than 2070. The land combat was interesting if very slow paced (but that's Anno for you), but apart from that it just seemed like 2070 but a lot less of it. What am I overlooking?

For me it's mostly the time period and the aesthetic. I kind of like the thought of 1404 more than 2070. A lot of it has to do with the quay walls in 1404 and just how awesome you can make your harbor look with various things. There's a lot of detail into sounds if you zoom in on the harbor, it actually sounds like a medieval style harbor. Also people will walk around and use a lot of the things that make your island look nicer as someone mentioned, which I guess doesn't happen in 2070.

Like for example, I love this harbor that I built, and I like the style more.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Honestly, it feels more like 2070 has 2+1 factions. Ecos and Tycoons want pretty much the same thing (as in base resources), but you always needs Techs. So don't think of the relationship between Occident and Oriental as Ecos and Tycoons, they're Eco/Tycoons and Techs. You kind of need both at some point.

Submarines are nice, but hardly necessary. Honestly searching for underwater plateaus was kind of tedious after you searched the entire map for islands already. The minimap wouldn't tell you where you searched underwater. That said, I'll be the first to admit that the land combat kind of sucked, and 2070 had more nuances for combat all around.

Balance wise, I mean that in money balance. In 2070 it seems like once I hit Engineers (and especially Executives), I'm set as far as money goes. But in 1404, I feel like I really have to watch my money even when I'm high up the citizen chain. After a while, taking care of ecobalance and power just kind of felt like a chore. But purchasing the special upgrades with Honor/Licences, research is nice but the latter parts I admit I haven't messed with too much. It also felt like I had to work to get Honor, where as Licences, I would use my massive money stockpile to bribe the faction heads for them. As for research, it felt like I never delved to deeply in that. If I had, I might have learned how to break the game in half in ways that weren't giant money stockpiles.

And then there's the aesthetics. 1404 is bright and cheerful and celebratory. The Occident felt festive and the Orient felt exotic both in style and the music that played over their islands. Both were beautiful. Whereas in 2070? It's just dark and dismal and empty feeling. Eve is absolutely boring to listen to, the music felt too droning and atmospheric. My cities in 1404 were fun to just look at and admire, and in 2070 it just seemed overwhelmed by flying cars all the time. Nature wasn't that nice to look at either, unless you pumped your Ecobalance all the way up and they turned up the bloom to max.

Also I have to ask, am I like the one person that doesn't do poo poo with decorations? That money and space could be better spent on houses and farming layouts packed as densely as I can.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shamelessly posting images from the old and buried Anno thread (page 23 yikes).

The last one is the most amazing, and isn't mine. But for how pretty 2070 looks it just lacks this stuff. :shobon:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Oh my god I do not want to imagine the upkeep and cost on that last one.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
:stare: I am missing out. If I get in a goon game, this is all I'm doing.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/3047/ is the link some of us foreigners have to use because reasons.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.
Hope you all have been having fun planting shrubs or making moonshots in your various Anno games! Seems like I'm going to be busy with work a lot longer than initially expected. I expect to be working six-day weeks until December at this point. Sorry, but I wouldn't expect more videos until then!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Krysmphoenix posted:

Whereas in 2070? It's just dark and dismal and empty feeling.

If it's any consolation, according to Anno 2205 things only got worse on Earth after 2070. The Global Trust went bankrupt, pollution and overfishing devastated Earth's fish populations even more than they had already been, and what habitable land is left was ravaged by a massive series of tsunamis after a certain new technology in 2070's expansion had... whoopsies.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The Global Trust went bankrupt, pollution and overfishing devastated Earth's fish populations even more than they had already been
Well, who would've thought. I guess not having an ecobalance rating for the sea finally did us in huh?

That and we couldn't compact trash or store carbon dioxide out of this one. It's very amusing how trash compactors etc let you get your way out of things like leaking nuclear waste.

Cythereal posted:

The Global Trust went bankrupt
They finally ate one too many The Great Stock Market Crash global events.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alavaria posted:

Well, who would've thought. I guess not having an ecobalance rating for the sea finally did us in huh?

That and we couldn't compact trash or store carbon dioxide out of this one. It's very amusing how trash compactors etc let you get your way out of things like leaking nuclear waste.

They finally ate one too many The Great Stock Market Crash global events.

For another example of how bad Earth's situation is in Anno 2205, the Earth is out of fresh water. You have to build desalinization plants to provide water as one of the basic resources your workers need.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cythereal posted:

For another example of how bad Earth's situation is in Anno 2205, the Earth is out of fresh water. You have to build desalinization plants to provide water as one of the basic resources your workers need.
Rain doesn't exist anymore? No lakes or rivers? How do plants grow? I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that watering with salt water is a bad idea. :spergin:

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Poil posted:

Rain doesn't exist anymore? No lakes or rivers? How do plants grow? I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that watering with salt water is a bad idea. :spergin:

That's what the desalination is for. To remove the salt.

Speaking of Anno 2205, I've found it to be an incredibly fun game that deviates from the typical style, but keeps the feel.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah, the game is still subtly grimdark, yet also cartoony. You have literal moon-terrorists.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
And one of the ways your megacorp fights back against those moon 'terrists is by lobbing tactical nuclear weapons at them like they're candy.

Back in the good old days, corporations only used strategic nuclear weapons, not those wimpy tactical ones, and then only against the Hippie Scourge.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
I guess by this point they have developed nuclear explosives to a very high level, now suitable for deployment in standard battlefield scenarios.

And left lying about in random warehouses. I mean, even (or rather especially) if you're moon-terrorists, don't just LEAVE it lying about...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Agean90 posted:

Yeah, the game is still subtly grimdark, yet also cartoony. You have literal moon-terrorists.

2205 also includes a nice call back to 2070. One of the sector storylines, in the temperate zone, is finding a sunken Ark and raising it up from its resting place.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009
Speaking of leaving nuclear weapons lying around, someone at Ubisoft apparently woke up from a coma and pushed a button or something because there's finally another World Event available: Atomic Terror.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

2205 also includes a nice call back to 2070. One of the sector storylines, in the temperate zone, is finding a sunken Ark and raising it up from its resting place.

Also of note the lady heading that quest mentions that because of the entire FATHER incident all AI's are built with personality inhibiters, making them personalty free servitors. So CEOs get their super intelligent secretaries but said secretaries can't go bonkers and decide to nuke the world (again) after...downloading a nasty virus directly into their operating system?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Also of note the lady heading that quest mentions that because of the entire FATHER incident all AI's are built with personality inhibiters, making them personalty free servitors. So CEOs get their super intelligent secretaries but said secretaries can't go bonkers and decide to nuke the world (again) after...downloading a nasty virus directly into their operating system?

Also stops SAAT from going "Hey guys, hold my beer and watch this!" Which was more or less how the FATHER incident got started...

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, somehow I don't think that's going to stop the closest thing to SAAT that 2205 has, which is Ibara-FoxCom, one of the big megacorps. Their specialty is robotics and bio-computing, and their representative doesn't exactly inspire confidence when it comes to common sense.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

YeOldeButchere posted:

Yeah, somehow I don't think that's going to stop the closest thing to SAAT that 2205 has, which is Ibara-FoxCom, one of the big megacorps. Their specialty is robotics and bio-computing, and their representative doesn't exactly inspire confidence when it comes to common sense.
A bunch of the megacorps seem way too focused on some narrow thing to viably create large empires like the player does...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Psychorider posted:

Speaking of leaving nuclear weapons lying around, someone at Ubisoft apparently woke up from a coma and pushed a button or something because there's finally another World Event available: Atomic Terror.
Yeah I'm so happy about that, I'm missing that one and the last one; so this could be my chance!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So for you guys waiting for Anno 2250 to go on sale in about a year, GOG has older Anno games up for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So... still waiting for your snarky commentary on the massive new raft of demands the expansion brings in, and the mission that would show them all off.

There is one of those in the little mini-campaign, right? Or whatever you're doing next?

• Locked thread