Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

FlamingLiberal posted:

That campaign seemed incredibly short, but maybe it's just me. Surprising for an RTS/sim game like this.

It really is. Anno campaigns are mostly tutorial, but this one in particular is a bit short by their standards.

The real oh my god is it really 2 AM just one more production chain I swear factor is in the scenarios and free play modes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HiKaizer posted:

Well, as Tyrant mentioned there is a lot of city building and stuff going on that takes time. Besides unlike most RTS games you do not need to rebuild your base and economy every single mission.
Still, that was like 2 different maps total for the entire campaign.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Still, that was like 2 different maps total for the entire campaign.

They also recycle (and expand) the CORE map for one of the single missions.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
It's weird compared to 1404, which was very, very long and varied in it's campaign. Yet also kinda tiring.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Is it ever explained where the original virus came from, and why it scuttled the experimental ark?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

AltaBrown posted:

Is it ever explained where the original virus came from, and why it scuttled the experimental ark?
I was going to say, that plot thread just kind of disappeared

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It was in a box marked "JAMES CAMERON"

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that this LP did make me curious about the Anno games. Is Anno 2070 worth picking up, since Gamersgate has a sale on it right now or would I be better off waiting for Anno 2205 instead?

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to say that this LP did make me curious about the Anno games. Is Anno 2070 worth picking up, since Gamersgate has a sale on it right now or would I be better off waiting for Anno 2205 instead?

It's impossible to say how good 2205 will be, since we're still a month out from release, but if you can get 2070 for $20 with all the DLC, it's a great value proposition. I've added probably ten hours to my play time from the campaign, but I've easily put 350+ hours into the game before that.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Sylphosaurus posted:

Personally I'd recommend 1404, since I like the aesthetic more and it has both more scenarios and a longer campaign, but both are solid games you can sink way too many hours into.

Also, I think I haven't voted yet, if so I'll throw in my lot for Power Games.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Personally my favorite is 1404. It comes with the massive advantages of a lot of aesthetics for your islands (although you need to unlock most of them in game through playing) and it doesn't use uplay. :toot:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I was half-joking when I suggested Power Games earlier, but I think it could be worth doing regardless of whether it ends in a win or a loss. Just to show what the game looks like with bullshit turned up to 11.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Minor news. My workplace has adjusted my schedule such that I won't have as much time to do big, heavily-edited videos for a while. It seems unlikely that I will have time to do a full-scale mission video anytime in October.

If it would be of interest to members of the thread, I would be happy to recruit volunteers for recording a multiplayer continuous game or mission for next Saturday, October 10. We can hang out on voice chat, get drunk and build a megalopolis (or get butt-surfed by Keto). The resulting video or videos would probably be posted in the interim until I am able to devote more time to the effort. Any takers?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Geez I wish you had said any Saturday but that one. I'd have been all over it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm up for that. Depends on what time you're thinking of starting, though.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm up for that. Depends on what time you're thinking of starting, though.

Probably 6 or 7 PM Pacific, running to midnight or so.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That works for me.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I'll pile into that if you don't mind.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I'd be interested, but that's the middle of the night for me (GMT+1), maybe I'll join halfway through if I can get up early enough.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I'd like to join in on that if possible. I'm never busy on Saturdays anyway :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I'd love to join in but the weekends are the busiest time of the week for me.

Oh well, looks like you've got plenty of company anyways.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Aww, wouldn't be able to go that late since I'd have work in the morning.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
I'm interested if there's still room! I haven't had the chance to play 2070 all that much but that shouldn't be that big a problem, right? :v:

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

64bitrobot posted:

I'm interested if there's still room! I haven't had the chance to play 2070 all that much but that shouldn't be that big a problem, right? :v:

It sounds like the multiplayer is only four-player, but at the very worst, I can record more than one game! Thread folks can add me on Steam (just search for TyrantSabre) and drop me a line; I can let you know if we're short a player for Saturday and have you come in to cover. As it stands, it looks like FractalSandwich, Heatwizard, and sheep-wizard get first dibs, and I would say Dr. Snark and 64bitrobot would be first on the reserves list of any of them can't make it; otherwise, they would be first in line for the next game (maybe for 10/17, Mzbundifund?).

Whatever the case, get in touch and we can work something out!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

It's fine that I'm on the reserves; I just realized I have something going on during the time you'd be recording and I can't make it anyway.

If you do have another multiplayer game come up, though, I'd be happy to join in on that instead.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

TyrantSabre posted:

It sounds like the multiplayer is only four-player, but at the very worst, I can record more than one game! Thread folks can add me on Steam (just search for TyrantSabre) and drop me a line; I can let you know if we're short a player for Saturday and have you come in to cover. As it stands, it looks like FractalSandwich, Heatwizard, and sheep-wizard get first dibs, and I would say Dr. Snark and 64bitrobot would be first on the reserves list of any of them can't make it; otherwise, they would be first in line for the next game (maybe for 10/17, Mzbundifund?).

As I said, at best I'd be able to join about halfway through (stupid timezones) so if there's someone else whose timezone matches up better, you should give preference to him/her.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'll throw my name in the hat for reserve/GMT+1 friendlier times. :v:

(or others that wanna play with me)

Zedd fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 8, 2015

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

TyrantSabre posted:

I would be happy either way! Perhaps each game could have different focuses.

Sent a friend request, same name as on here.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

I'd like to thank 64bitrobot, FractalSandwich, and Heatwizard for playing Anno with me last week. We had a fun recording session and actually achieved (most of) the goals we set out for ourselves. Unfortunately, due to technical glitches all around, including lost commentary audio, lost game audio, lost recording settings and lost connections, I don't have anything I feel would make for a worthwhile video or series of videos. Sorry about that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Bummer. I'm glad my computer wasn't the only thing that hosed us, though!

Can you at least salvage the "dam site" joke? I think the world needs to see that.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 18, 2015

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

TyrantSabre posted:

I'd like to thank 64bitrobot, FractalSandwich, and Heatwizard for playing Anno with me last week. We had a fun recording session and actually achieved (most of) the goals we set out for ourselves. Unfortunately, due to technical glitches all around, including lost commentary audio, lost game audio, lost recording settings and lost connections, I don't have anything I feel would make for a worthwhile video or series of videos. Sorry about that.

Pretty understandable all considered, really.Though it's definitely worth mentioning that playing a multiplayer game with a bunch of goons seems to be a ton of fun that most people should try at least once.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Shame that the recording ended up being unusable. Do you plan on trying another session or do you think it wouldn't be possible? Maybe put together a "highlights video" instead of having the entire game be needed?

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Snark posted:

Shame that the recording ended up being unusable. Do you plan on trying another session or do you think it wouldn't be possible? Maybe put together a "highlights video" instead of having the entire game be needed?

Well, now that I know where all the kinks were, I don't see why I couldn't set up a new session in the future and at least try to run another session. The way I was trying to do it was arranged so I could avoid having to do lots of intensive edits during this, a month when my personal time is extremely limited. But yeah, if there's interest I'd be happy to run another game of Anno (even if it's just for BSing).

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

TyrantSabre posted:

Well, now that I know where all the kinks were, I don't see why I couldn't set up a new session in the future and at least try to run another session. The way I was trying to do it was arranged so I could avoid having to do lots of intensive edits during this, a month when my personal time is extremely limited. But yeah, if there's interest I'd be happy to run another game of Anno (even if it's just for BSing).
I definitely recommend it to anyone who thinks they might be interested.

The only vaguely negative thing I took away from it was that four players on one team might be slightly too many cooks in the kitchen for a basic start. I might suggest choosing one of the start options that gives you more factions, more islands or more ships if you run another session.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

FractalSandwich posted:

I definitely recommend it to anyone who thinks they might be interested.

The only vaguely negative thing I took away from it was that four players on one team might be slightly too many cooks in the kitchen for a basic start. I might suggest choosing one of the start options that gives you more factions, more islands or more ships if you run another session.

Part of the fun for me was managing the 'too many cooks' thing, but yes, if you wanted to be more productive, one of the starts for that sort of thing would probably be the superior option. That said, I'm totally am up for playing more Anno.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

A four-headed team was interesting in the sense that because everyone is trying to do something, we found ourselves with negative profit and zero dollars much more frequently than a regular game does. I always try to keep my income in the green as hard as I can, because then whenever I'm out of cash I can use my secret strat of "lean back and take a nap for a few minutes", so it was thoroughly outside my usual pattern.

If we go again spread out across multiple factions, I'd be down to tag along. I'll let someone else try if everyone's piling onto the same ark again.

e: You know! Multiple players ganging up on Keto all get the achievement... :unsmigghh:

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 19, 2015

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Heatwizard posted:

A four-headed team was interesting in the sense that because everyone is trying to do something, we found ourselves with negative profit and zero dollars much more frequently than a regular game does. I always try to keep my income in the green as hard as I can, because then whenever I'm out of cash I can use my secret strat of "lean back and take a nap for a few minutes", so it was thoroughly outside my usual pattern.

If we go again spread out across multiple factions, I'd be down to tag along. I'll let someone else try if everyone's piling onto the same ark again.

"Always in the negative at zero dollars" seems to define my basic Anno experience, at least from when I was playing 1404. So it made perfect sense to me! At least the parks didn't cost any upkeep.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Anno MP is indeed very neat, the sweet spot is two people per character I think. That way you can plunge income into the red while the other person does the commerce legwork, leisurely create aesthetically pleasing production layouts and EMP other peoples' trading ships without things getting out of hand.

You can totally get DLC achievements using other people's stuff too, I got lighthouse related ones messing with another goon's settlement.

64bitrobot posted:

"Always in the negative at zero dollars" seems to define my basic Anno experience, at least from when I was playing 1404. So it made perfect sense to me! At least the parks didn't cost any upkeep.

1404 + Venice had way more decorations than 2070 and they were cheaper to boot too! The devs even went to the effort to properly generate crowds that interacted and walked around the various ornaments and animated decorations, the same can't be said for 2070. :(

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Just fyi: both Anno 1404 and 2070 are currently on sale on Steam. 1404 is 3,74€ and 2070 is 15€ for the Complete Editions.
1404 for <4€ is definitely a Good Deal if you don't already have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Looks like you can get a good deal there.

• Locked thread