Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
If you have a depot/reciever touching a tile of road that also touches where they're picking up from, you'll see a transport appear, turn around on the spot, fill up and disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Loving this game so far. It's like Tropico but cooler.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Cythereal posted:

Ah, makes sense.

Gorgeous game, though, and lots of little details like the helicopter drones hauling mined ore out for the truck to pick up. Would have been nice if they'd use those same drones to haul goods directly to where they need to go, it seems.

Higher level depots (and your naval warehouse) do this.

Remember, kids, your fisheries don't have to be land locked!
(I forget this every time I play this game)

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So following along this game, noticed that this is very similar to Dawn of Discovery which I played not too long ago. How connected is that game to the Anno series? Because as far as I can tell they're drat near identical other than the time period.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Dawn of Discovery is how Anno 1.404 was called in North America, so pretty connected.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Krysmphoenix posted:

So following along this game, noticed that this is very similar to Dawn of Discovery which I played not too long ago. How connected is that game to the Anno series? Because as far as I can tell they're drat near identical other than the time period.

Outside North America, Dawn of Discovery is called Anno 1404, so very connected.

edit: woah that post was not showing up, well beaten

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Ah, makes sense.

Gorgeous game, though, and lots of little details like the helicopter drones hauling mined ore out for the truck to pick up. Would have been nice if they'd use those same drones to haul goods directly to where they need to go, it seems.

When you have a production building selected, one of the things you can do is command the nearest depot to put down what you're doing and empty this thing right now, and they send a vtol truck for that in case there's no road connecting them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Psychorider posted:

edit: woah that post was not showing up, well beaten

:smug:

Yeah, it took a while to show up. Don't know why.

Also, add another one to the sperg pile. IIRC, you keep the isle for the entire tutorial, so building inefficiencies pile up as you go on. I don't know why, but this game is the only one that has me worried about building things perfectly.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.

Mzbundifund posted:

TyrantSabre are you planning to beat Power Games?

I think I might need to tag in some helpers on that one. When it comes to the economic and growth goals, I'm pretty solid (although I've outed myself as pretty inefficient sometimes :v:). On the RTS side... Not so much.

Guilty as charged! Everything would have been fine if I'd moved the Depot back one tile, to allow the road to run through and connect everything together. It was uncharacteristically lazy of me to do it that way and we can see why it didn't work well. Kids, don't try this at home!

(Just wait until we have to start transport chains. :v:)

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Power Games has a sort of trick to it involving specific unit & item abuse that can make things much easier...

TyrantSabre posted:

(Just wait until we have to start transport chains. :v:)
What is really amusing is how stuff on an island, however large, instantly teleports across the island.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I beat power games, but it was basically 100% trick - like, NESTED tricks. But I'm also garbage at RTSs

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
They should do an Anno game set in the 20th century.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Triple A posted:

They should do an Anno game set in the 20th century.

They can't - every year in the 20th century would break the "All Digits add up to 9" rule.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

Med School posted:

Loving this game so far. It's like Tropico but cooler.

I was going to make this comparison, too. Probably because Tropico is the only city builder I like and am good at.
Also, this feels more restful than Tropico. More peaceful than 99% of my steam library, actually.

I'm digging the story and style of this LP, yo. I just caught up and demand more!

sixc
Nov 12, 2008
I tried reinstalling this game on my windows 8.1 machine because of the LP, and had a hell of a time with it.

The steam install tried to download an obsolete version of UPlay, one that prevents the game from even running.. You've got to download UPlay first directly from the Ubisoft website.
Then you need find UPlay.exe and run it as an administrator.
Then you need to find your game exe and run that as administrator, as well.

This is what I did to get the game to at least run (there might be other problems). Any other suggestions are welcome.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Samovar posted:

I'm sure having those crops growing next to a coal refinery will have absolutely no health ramifications on the alcohol produced!

Eh, we're distilling it anyway. Just be a little more careful with the fractionation column and you'll be fine.

In seriousness, though, the coal refinery does have an impact on the crops. It's a blink-and-you'll miss it moment, but when TyrantSabre selects the distillery building you'll see a little test tube with a red background above it in the interface. That means negative ecobalance is having an effect on how much it produces -- the effect is called "acid soil".

However, it is a general trait of the Tycoons that their population and production buildings aren't very negatively affected by pollution, assuming it bothers them at all.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I for one am glad that Mr. Thor and his middle-management-excuses-ways got what he deserved. It was rather refreshing.

Looking forward to more of this LP, Anno seems like an interesting take on city building so far (with the other parts to come naturally.)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Glazius posted:

However, it is a general trait of the Tycoons that their population and production buildings aren't very negatively affected by pollution, assuming it bothers them at all.

Pretty much. Tycoon farms shrug off all but the worst environmental disasters. You have to reduce your island to an industrial hellscape for either farms or citizens to notice (ecobalance affects tax income too, if your dudes live on a tropical paradise they pay more.)

I'd go into the ecobalance system some more, but I really don't want to make a giant effort-post about a mechanic before Tyrantsabre even brings it up.

EponymousMrYar posted:

I for one am glad that Mr. Thor and his middle-management-excuses-ways got what he deserved. It was rather refreshing.

Looking forward to more of this LP, Anno seems like an interesting take on city building so far (with the other parts to come naturally.)

Yeah despite what the game's premise really wants you to think, the Tycoons and their management aren't complete assholes.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 19, 2015

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009
Rufus Thorne is a pretty capable guy. He also has the best person working under him, ((Player name here))

Alavaria fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 21, 2015

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Gnooble posted:

They can't - every year in the 20th century would break the "All Digits add up to 9" rule.

It's easy - all they have to do is make two more games after 2205, then they can call the following game 'Anno 9'. :v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Gnooble posted:

Anno 1908. 1+9+8 = 18, 1+8 = 9. :colbert:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Anno '63?

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

President Ark posted:

I'm suddenly having 999 flashbacks.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

President Ark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q53GmMCqmAM

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

David Corbett posted:

I'm suddenly having 999 flashbacks.

Herman Caine... is, is that you? Have you finally caught them all? :ohdear:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Anno 2007:shrug:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nuramor posted:

Anno 2007:shrug:

They'd either have to take some incredible creative license with where on earth you would found even a single new port city in 2007, or it would be a super depressing supply chain about getting 1st-generation iPhones from the Chinese suicide factories to even the shittiest part of Indiana, in order to upgrade your Juggalos into Hipsters or something.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Anno 2025

Obviously in the S China sea.

Or the area formerly known as the Arctic Ice Sheet

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't really see the point of having another one take place in the same century as Anno 2070. I can't imagine how it would be all that different.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
I'd love to see an Anno 2250 where you colonize islands on a newly terraformed Mars.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Fox Ironic posted:

I'd love to see an Anno 2250 where you colonize islands on a newly terraformed Mars.

The new Anno game coming out this fall looks like it's about colonizing an alien world. :)

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Fox Ironic posted:

Anno 2205 is being developed and is Earth and Moon colonization. Maybe Mars will be an xpack.

:eng101: The 2000s suggestions are the 21st century. Anno 2070 already covers that.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Mission 1-3: Black Sea is live.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I commenced bawling immediately. If this is what happens with a tier 0 cinderblock production chain, I cannot wait to see what sort of non-euclidean road hash you make while attempting to produce tier 4 biopolymers.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

I commenced bawling immediately. If this is what happens with a tier 0 cinderblock production chain, I cannot wait to see what sort of non-euclidean road hash you make while attempting to produce tier 4 biopolymers.

By definition, I can't make non-Euclidean road hash, since all roads in Anno 2070 connect at right angles. :eng101: But I'm sure I'll find a way to gently caress it all up!

Jokes aside, I'll fess up to using pre-designed production layouts under normal circumstances, but I will do my best not to gently caress up when fulfilling the mission build requirements. I mean, at least you can pop some popcorn and watch the train wreck? v:v:v

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
God drat. This is only the third video (which just came out) and I want MORE! How have I missed this game? It looks like SOOOO much fun.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The eco-lady seems far nicer than the capitalist jerk. I hope we eventually get to vote on who to join up with, so we can be hippies together with Miss Happy :sparkles:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I love the music in this game, it's so relaxing. You'll be minding your own business, watching numbers of components and products go up and down, wondering whether to build just one more farm and suddenly three hours are gone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slaan posted:

The eco-lady seems far nicer than the capitalist jerk. I hope we eventually get to vote on who to join up with, so we can be hippies together with Miss Happy :sparkles:

Agreed. Inefficient and TyrantSabre seem like a perfect match. :v:

Also, this game is gorgeous. Doesn't deserve to be marred by pollution.

quote:

I love the music in this game, it's so relaxing. You'll be minding your own business, watching numbers of components and products go up and down, wondering whether to build just one more farm and suddenly three hours are gone.

The full soundtrack is on youtube. Pretty good listening until you get to the Tycoon tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, it doesn't help that the environments look so gorgeous you'd automatically be inclined to try and keep them as gorgeous as you can.

Just how much of a bother is all the extra Ubisoft sign-up guff that comes along with this game?

• Locked thread