Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Steve absolutely insufferable. I'm not sure when his voice annoys me more: when he's happy and fully of himself or upset and bitching.

Samovar posted:

Yeah, it doesn't help that the environments look so gorgeous you'd automatically be inclined to try and keep them as gorgeous as you can.

Just how much of a bother is all the extra Ubisoft sign-up guff that comes along with this game?

It used to be worse but now they've streamlined their launcher so it's really not that much worse than launching Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Quote != Edit

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Cythereal posted:

The full soundtrack is on youtube. Pretty good listening until you get to the Tycoon tracks.

You better not be implying that "Industrial Landscapes" and "The Old World Order" are not good tracks, because they're pretty much the best in the game.

That said, this LP triggered my Anno 2070 itch, which I was hoping to keep in check until 2205 came out. Well, one quick continuous game can't hurt...

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Same. I was was busy with some other games, but now you've reawakened an urge to play this again. Thanks?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It seems like a bit too much praise to have the leaders of two opposing factions agree on only one thing, and that's how awesome the player is. Kind of makes me wish that one middle-management rear end in a top hat was still around.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

Cythereal posted:

Agreed. Inefficient and TyrantSabre seem like a perfect match. :v:

Also, this game is gorgeous. Doesn't deserve to be marred by pollution.

The full soundtrack is on youtube. Pretty good listening until you get to the Tycoon tracks.

Until...!

Grinding Teeth, Skylar's Master Plan, The Old World Order?

Look maybe it's all well and good to "jam along to the oldies" or whatever, but when I listen to music, I want it to invoke a giant metal press, grinding human lives into grist. I demand grist!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I wish you meant "evoke", but I know you meant what you said.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It seems like a bit too much praise to have the leaders of two opposing factions agree on only one thing, and that's how awesome the player is. Kind of makes me wish that one middle-management rear end in a top hat was still around.

Fear not, there will be more middle management to come.

The timed challenges are the hardest part. Such as Power Play.

The usual point you stop needing so many building materials is when you've filled the radius(us) of your community centres.

But hey! Your personal brand is becoming more valuable!
Also, Thorne really needs to get a secretary. He's supposed to be talking with the board, not you on the front lines.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 23, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Veloxyll posted:

Fear not, there will be more middle management to come.

The timed challenges are the hardest part. Such as Power Play.

The usual point you stop needing so many building materials is when you've filled the radius(us) of your community centres.

But hey! Your personal brand is becoming more valuable!
Also, Thorne really needs to get a secretary. He's supposed to be talking with the board, not you on the front lines.

Thorne and Yana Rodriguez are middle management actually. Well...upper middle management. We'll later meet their bosses.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think the actual thing they agree on is that if Strindberg were still in charge here we'd be seeing shots fired when the Ecos showed up to help, and then Site 13 would have been an oil-soaked unrecoverable mess.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ahaha, so in the wake of an ecological disaster that harms fish stocks, the game wants you to build more fisheries?

Fits in with the corporate mindset I suppose...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Thorne is bourgeois worker-exploiting scum of course, but he seems to be reasonable, patient and has a long-term vision for success. So he's not that bad I guess.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ahaha, so in the wake of an ecological disaster that harms fish stocks, the game wants you to build more fisheries?

The 1/3 of the fish that aren't toxic go to the richest tycoons. The 1/3 of the fish go to the workers, because then they have to spend more money at the Company Combined Store and Hospital for medications and/or fish cleaning items. The 1/3 of the fish that are horribly toxic go to make dog food because then the plebs have to buy extra vet care for their animals and sign up for plots at the Company Pet Cemetary.

So what I'm saying is that economic disasters are great money makers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Oddly enough, fish are one of the few things that aren't subject to resource limitations in the game. Well, most kinds of fish. Apparently you can just pull up any old thing and make it edible, since it's the future, and fish populations have probably exploded with all that flooded land to occupy and feed near.

Severe overfishing will eventually impact your catch through lowered ecobalance, but at this point you can either pull up more fish and lose some to waste to feed the couple hundred people on that island who are actually trying to clean up the habitat, or abandon them all to die.

Slaan posted:

The 1/3 of the fish that aren't toxic go to the richest tycoons. The 1/3 of the fish go to the workers, because then they have to spend more money at the Company Combined Store and Hospital for medications and/or fish cleaning items. The 1/3 of the fish that are horribly toxic go to make dog food because then the plebs have to buy extra vet care for their animals and sign up for plots at the Company Pet Cemetary.

So what I'm saying is that economic disasters are great money makers.

You know, you'd think so? But workers ain't stupid. Or at least they ain't infinitely stupid. They're a lot more likely to buy into the many company policies that function as an effective tax on them if they're not eating poo poo and getting suspicious.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Glazius posted:

Oddly enough, fish are one of the few things that aren't subject to resource limitations in the game. Well, most kinds of fish. Apparently you can just pull up any old thing and make it edible, since it's the future, and fish populations have probably exploded with all that flooded land to occupy and feed near.

Jellyfish. Those things thrive on basically anything. And it's got fish right there in the name, so it's fish. gently caress your gourmet rear end if you can't fork over the cash for something better.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

well, yeah. Of course. Are you saying that the solution to resource shortages ISN'T to just farm them more?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Oil Refinery: :supaburn:

Walter: Where's my fish dinner? :bahgawd:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

drkeiscool posted:

Oil Refinery: :supaburn:

Walter: Where's my fish dinner? :bahgawd:

Considering Walter's diet consists entirely of fish and hootch, he has a right to be upset. If he doesn't get his fish breakfast, lunch and dinner, all with a side of rice whiskey, than he's hungry at work, slowly starving when he could be making Global Initiative (and himself to a lesser degree) money.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Alkydere posted:

Considering Walter's diet consists entirely of fish and hootch, he has a right to be upset. If he doesn't get his fish breakfast, lunch and dinner, all with a side of rice whiskey, than he's hungry at work, slowly starving when he could be making Global Initiative (and himself to a lesser degree) money.

He could just eat the rice while waiting for the oil spill to be cleaned up? A diet consisting solely of fish and booze doesn't strike me as being particularly healthy.

Anyways, my point was that he seemed just a tad insensitive to the fact his nearby coworkers were burning to death while he was whining about not having fish to eat.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Get close to the explosion.

drkeiscool posted:

He could just eat the rice while waiting for the oil spill to be cleaned up? A diet consisting solely of fish and booze doesn't strike me as being particularly healthy.

Anyways, my point was that he seemed just a tad insensitive to the fact his nearby coworkers were burning to death while he was whining about not having fish to eat.

:bahgawd: What do you mean, "eat the rice"? Rice isn't edible. Or are you talking about that hippie 'health food' crap? Ain't nobody got time for that in Global Trust!

And as far as the oil rig goes, set your mind at ease. There is precisely zero correlation between production facilities and island population. You can (and will!) have whole islands devoted to toolmaking, farming, mining and fabrication, all without so much as a single hut on the island.

So even if there are people burning to death on it, they're nobody that Walter knows! :v:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I just assumed that all of those facilities were manned by robots or something. I mean, this is the future we're talking about here, even if it's not that far into the future.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah, it seems everyone works from home. Telecommuting is the way of the future!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I don't remember if 2070 works like this, but in 1602 you could have a pristine new island, and nobody on it, and when you built a woodcutter the population went up by two. So every production building provides its own labor when you build it (I assume they live in crawlspaces underneath the smelter?), the houses are purely for exploitation of the masses tax-friendly housing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sage Grimm posted:

Yeah, it seems everyone works from home. Telecommuting is the way of the future!

They don't seem to "work" exactly, they just give you money for existing. Given that your goal is to fulfill their needs and take their money, it's more like they're your customers than your employees.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Given the way Rufus and Yana talk, it seems more likely that your population are Global Trust or Eden Initiative employees, and you are a sort of third-party contractor / land baron who owns the land and provides 100% of the goods and services on the island, while you get paid by your population for the goods and services consumed. The workers that run your production facilities and power plants on your islands are actually paid by you, and live in the production facilities themselves. This is why you can delete all your housing and still have fully functional production chains, albeit ones that run at a crippling loss, since nobody is paying you anything for their output, and you are still paying your workers to produce the goods. The blueprints for the production facilities are licensed to you by Global Trust and the Eden Initiative, but it appears that you own and run the facilities themselves.

I like to imagine the player as some sort of ultra rich apocalypse preparationist, who foresaw the global flooding and funneled their vast wealth into buying their ark, and is now living the dream as a corporate baron / pioneer.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Clarste posted:

They don't seem to "work" exactly, they just give you money for existing. Given that your goal is to fulfill their needs and take their money, it's more like they're your customers than your employees.

Frankly, it's never said that you're working FOR any of the factions in the game. Rather, you sign an agreement WITH one of the two major factions to settle members of their organization and provide for their needs using resources they make available to you.

There's an LP to be made in there about a maverick Ark captain and his sassy AI companion playing both sides against the middle. I'm not sure I'm the one to make it.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TyrantSabre posted:

Frankly, it's never said that you're working FOR any of the factions in the game. Rather, you sign an agreement WITH one of the two major factions to settle members of their organization and provide for their needs using resources they make available to you.

There's an LP to be made in there about a maverick Ark captain and his sassy AI companion playing both sides against the middle. I'm not sure I'm the one to make it.

Yeah. in the opening, it says that you're just selected to Command an Ark. Not that someone hired you to.
But it's okay, you can trust E.V.E. implicitly.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

TyrantSabre posted:

:bahgawd: What do you mean, "eat the rice"? Rice isn't edible. Or are you talking about that hippie 'health food' crap? Ain't nobody got time for that in Global Trust!

My mom used to make me cooked rice cereal for breakfast. Rice, milk, butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Mmmm. :allears:

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Mission 1-4 is rendering now. I also have some unfortunate news regarding my plans for the LP; one of the cooler features of Anno 2070, the Global Events, seems to have stopped happening. From a certain standpoint, it's just more missions with similar objectives to missions that exist, but it helped flesh out the game, made it feel like there were new things happening all the time, and allowed you to feel like you were contributing to the overall recovery effort. They also were graded on a points system, and the more players who completed some or all of the missions in the Global Event, the greater the reward for all participants once the event ended. (Which enters into something I haven't really covered yet - the over-arching reputation and rewards system for non-mission games.)

Even if they did shut down the Global Events (probably to prepare for Anno 2205 later this year), there's no shortage of missions I can also play, and there's also multiplayer - which I would like to start feeling people out on! There's two ways to play Multiplayer in this game: you can either play as rival factions on separate Arks, trying to secure as much land and resources for your settlements as possible; or you can sign up as cooperative members of one faction, allowing your 'team' to split your attentions to various areas of your own faction's development, spread and military control and be generally like a colonization hydra!

So, I guess there's a couple questions I have to ask about what you want to see next:

* Would you like me to plunge straight into Chapter 2 of the campaign? I have stuff recorded and can continue rattling off episodes, which will get progressively deeper into the mechanics of the game, including automated logistics, economy, diplomacy, research and more involved combat.
* Would you like to see some of the other missions of the game? They would be rather similar to the missions you've seen so far, in that we'd get little tasks and sidequests that help us build up to completing a main task, but would require me to get deeper into the mechanics faster than the campaign would, and require us to sit through learning those same mechanics again as the campaign runs us through it.
* Would you like to see a plain, no-goals, sandbox Continuous Game? That would allow me to progress at my own pace, with fewer tasks that I'd be compelled to complete, to do everything in my own style without concern for scripted events, but would again require me to explain what I'm doing and would be much more aimless in its progression.
* Would you like to see a multiplayer game? It would allow some of you in the thread to participate in a game with me, and potentially to contribute your own constructions and tips to the thread in a video, but we wouldn't have much time to cover mechanical stuff like a tutorial would, would be tougher to schedule the more people get involved, and will probably devolve into mass confusion and inefficiency.

I'm fine with all of those possibilities, so please make your voice heard and I'll do my best to accommodate you!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TyrantSabre posted:

global events

That's a shame. Those were kind of cool, sometimes, and gave you an excuse to build infrastructure around just cranking out mass quantities of a specific product. I'm sure there will be a similar system in place for 2205, at least.

HereticKannon
Jun 3, 2012
I would rather see you continue the campaign, at least for the time being. As you said, the campaign does a decent job of easing you deeper into the more complex aspects of the game and overall makes it seem less overwhelming to newer players. You can always mix in some single shot missions or a multiplayer game if you get restless between now and the end of the vanilla campaign, but if I remember right then it's actually pretty short.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Continuing the campaign is the best idea. If you play a sandbox game now, you will spoil all the cool things that are added piecemeal in the campaign mission.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I wouldn't start a sandbox game until you're well past the tutorial section of the campaign.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Keep going with the campaign

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TyrantSabre posted:

Mission 1-4 is rendering now. I also have some unfortunate news regarding my plans for the LP; one of the cooler features of Anno 2070, the Global Events, seems to have stopped happening. From a certain standpoint, it's just more missions with similar objectives to missions that exist, but it helped flesh out the game, made it feel like there were new things happening all the time, and allowed you to feel like you were contributing to the overall recovery effort. They also were graded on a points system, and the more players who completed some or all of the missions in the Global Event, the greater the reward for all participants once the event ended. (Which enters into something I haven't really covered yet - the over-arching reputation and rewards system for non-mission games.)

Due to my own insanity, I actually made a save game at the beginning of most of the global event missions. I'm not positive that I have a save for 100% of them, but I'm pretty sure I have a save in most of them. While playing through them won't give you any faction points or anything, the saves themselves work fine, and you can play through the whole mission. There's just a little pop-up saying this save is for an inactive global event mission, and playing it will just be for fun. All the voice acting and stuff works fine, and you can even see the mission intros by loading the save and choosing to restart the mission. PM me and I can send them to you via drop box or something.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
There's no way to mod these missions to be playable?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Campaign sounds more reasonable.

TyrantSabre
Nov 4, 2009

Mission 1-4: Secrets of the Deep is live.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Why'd the island sink? Well, when Global Trust fucks up, they don't gently caress around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Uh, SAAT guy? You do know this has a 90% chance of leading to something horrible happening that should have been left buried, right?

• Locked thread