Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
We use OneNote for knowledgebase.

The MSP that has been doing IT at this company I just joined (I'm in-house IT guy no. 3) is using ConnectWise. It's crap, according to them you can't create basic workflows (e.g. when subject of ticket contains X, give it Y category and assign to Z queue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Anyone have a cheaper alternative to suggest than Zendesk for end-user support centric ticketing? I'm trying to bootstrap a start-up and can't afford much but do need some form of customer support that doesn't look ghetto.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

ITSM is a bag of flaming dogshit, but it's hard to tell if it's the product or the terrible engineer we have working on it that caused the problem.

ITIL service desk anything that even bats an eye at the term CMDB is the primary difference between a $500 ticketing system and a $50M+ one like what we have (just in licensing costs alone, probably another order of magnitude more in just plain labor costs to maintain the horrific "integrations" developed that I swear have bikini pricing - exponentially increasing price the less material you get).

Any enterprise ticketing system like HP Service Manager, BMC Remedy, or Service Now will be insanely expensive and require so many POCs for basic stuff it's not even funny.

I would generally lean toward "the database schema / API integration mechanics are so bad + whoever designed the ITSM specs and workflows are probably mentally handicapped that even if you assigned Jeff Dean to come up with an implementation and working design it would be terrible" as the answer when it comes to "why is my enterprise IT ticketing so bad?" I think I've worked on at least 200 ITSM POCs very few of which I thought were ok, don't shoot me :(

703 posted:

For MSPs or large infrastructures with a hodge-podge of vendor types- https://www.sciencelogic.com/product/solutions (not cheap)
That's EM7 you're talking about, right? The place I just quit was trying to sell this for infrastructure monitoring outside of the cloud house, which is already a tough pill to swallow considering how many possible monitoring tools could be even attepted. I did a rough count and saw about... 45 monitoring solutions that were deployed into production. Absolutely none of them were paid less than $100k I'm pretty sure. This place burns money on bad software constantly and pays people dick thinking that buying technology (none of the kind that doesn't come with a sales engineer and account rep attached by default) will lead to IT nirvana.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
When we bad zero budget we used Freshdesk. Works well enough that we never bothered moving off once we got a budget.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

necrobobsledder posted:

Anyone have a cheaper alternative to suggest than Zendesk for end-user support centric ticketing? I'm trying to bootstrap a start-up and can't afford much but do need some form of customer support that doesn't look ghetto.

ITIL service desk anything that even bats an eye at the term CMDB is the primary difference between a $500 ticketing system and a $50M+ one like what we have (just in licensing costs alone, probably another order of magnitude more in just plain labor costs to maintain the horrific "integrations" developed that I swear have bikini pricing - exponentially increasing price the less material you get).

Any enterprise ticketing system like HP Service Manager, BMC Remedy, or Service Now will be insanely expensive and require so many POCs for basic stuff it's not even funny.

I would generally lean toward "the database schema / API integration mechanics are so bad + whoever designed the ITSM specs and workflows are probably mentally handicapped that even if you assigned Jeff Dean to come up with an implementation and working design it would be terrible" as the answer when it comes to "why is my enterprise IT ticketing so bad?" I think I've worked on at least 200 ITSM POCs very few of which I thought were ok, don't shoot me :(
That's EM7 you're talking about, right? The place I just quit was trying to sell this for infrastructure monitoring outside of the cloud house, which is already a tough pill to swallow considering how many possible monitoring tools could be even attepted. I did a rough count and saw about... 45 monitoring solutions that were deployed into production. Absolutely none of them were paid less than $100k I'm pretty sure. This place burns money on bad software constantly and pays people dick thinking that buying technology (none of the kind that doesn't come with a sales engineer and account rep attached by default) will lead to IT nirvana.

JIRA Service Desk? You're probably going to end up with some Atlassian at some point so you may as well get started.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

CIO just pulled the trigger on HEAT without input from anyone in the department. How boned are we?It's replacing a horrible instance of BMC Service Desk Express.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

gooby pls posted:

CIO just pulled the trigger on HEAT without input from anyone in the department. How boned are we?It's replacing a horrible instance of BMC Service Desk Express.

It's going to take a lot of work and effort to get it stable, and any changes or modifications you want made will likely break something completely unrelated. Like e-mail listeners.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

gooby pls posted:

Really? I didn't expect to hear of anyone else using HEAT. We are in the process of migrating from HEAT to BMC Track-IT.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

gooby pls posted:

You'll need to start making some decisions about how you want to log your workflow and determine the levels of your call tree (we're doing Department>Team>Category>Call Type>Cause), but once you've got the basic stuff sorted out, it's fairly easy to maintain. We've got a massive loving database (about 1 million tickets in production, 4 million in two separate archives), so any structural changes take at least 4 hours to implement, but the daily maintenance (adding users/sites, updating field entries etc.) is a snap. This is for HEAT Classic though, I don't really have any relevant experience with their cloud services.

Working with HEATsoftware's support can be really frustrating though; most of the techs working on our support issues seem to follow the path of "dick around for a week, then find out it's a known issue", but YMMV.

Moey posted:

Really? I didn't expect to hear of anyone else using HEAT. We are in the process of migrating from HEAT to BMC Track-IT.

How's that working out for you? We're doing an evaluation this year to determine if we want to stick with HEAT or transition to a different product and I'd love to hear why you migrated, what the changeover is like etc.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 4, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

plainswalker75 posted:

How's that working out for you? We're doing an evaluation this year to determine if we want to stick with HEAT or transition to a different product and I'd love to hear why you migrated, what the changeover is like etc.

We are still in the middle of it. When I started at my current place, we had some old rear end HEAT install that I don't believe was ever updated. It was determined that management wanted some better reporting out if it, as well as workflow for tickets/equipment requests/inventory/bla bla bla. Track-IT seemed to fit the bill.

Our Service Desk lead is the one really handling the configuration of the new system, I just did the initial deployment and manage patching for him. We are using a 3rd party vendor to handle migration of historical tickets from HEAT to Track-It though.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option
Anyone else using SupportWorks?

No, just me?

:negative:

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Sheep posted:

When we bad zero budget we used Freshdesk. Works well enough that we never bothered moving off once we got a budget.

Freshdesk has an IT-specific ticketing solution called FreshService now which is rather nice.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jira help desk is nice, was using it at my old workplace (we migrated from spiceworks). if you have developers in house it is really nice to be able to transfer tickets from the help desk side of stuff into Jira/sprints/whatever.

My current workplace is using Dell KACE. we are a smaller business (lots of staff but not a lot of computers) and it was a cheap and effective way to get SCCM-like functionality and a new (read:actual) ticketing system.

an MSP I used to work at used Connectwise and it was a pain in the rear end. the Cloud based version would constantly hang or timeout as there was no local servers for our country at that time and if the cloud went down so did our systems.

It was really unintuitive and clunky and a lot of stuff didnt make any sense. this was about 3 years ago so I dont know if its any better.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

LochNessMonster posted:

Anyone working with the ELK-stack and/or graphite/grafana?

Have a POC ELK environment (need to rebuild for full HA and all the fun that goes with that when we go prod). Considered ditching graphite for Influx?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

ragzilla posted:

Have a POC ELK environment (need to rebuild for full HA and all the fun that goes with that when we go prod). Considered ditching graphite for Influx?

I havent worked with Influx yet, I'll look into it tomorrow. I doubt the client I'm working with now will ditch their Graphite environment anytime soon though as all their element managers are dumping their data into it.

Scom, ITM, collectd, tibco hawk and a few others all ship their metrics to Graphite currently. We're trying to come up with a solution to link all the monitoring data to business transaction and see if we can report on the performance/availability of those. Currently thinking about making the relations visible with a graph database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

necrobobsledder posted:

Yeah, it goes by EM7. Sounds like a account they would be targeting, bread and butter is replacing multiple tools or having them report up to em7 as a MOM.

• Locked thread