Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
STOP! LOOK AT THIS!

If your first thought wasn't that looks dumb continue on down to the main post.

Godzilla: The Game is a video game developed and published by Bandai Namco games for the PlayStation 3 and 4. It was released on December 18, 2014 in Japan, and on July 14, 2015 in North America, and will be released on July 17, 2015 in Europe. The Japanese version of the PlayStation 4 Godzilla: The Game is titled Godzilla VS. Godzilla VS is the exact same game as the PlayStation 4 Godzilla: The Game. Reviews for the game have been mixed to negative with Godzilla: The Game averaging a 39% rating on metacritic. Are they right? Yes and No. The game really isn't that great but was made by hardcore Godzilla fan for hardcore Godzilla fans. The game filled to the brim with little touches that causal players would miss completely, like being able to break Mecha Godzilla 2's head exactly like in Return of MechaGodzilla.

There are four game modes in Godzilla: The Game; God of Destruction, King of Kaiju, Evolution mode, and Diorama mode.

God of Destruction
God of Destruction mode consists of the player controlling Godzilla as he attacks certain stages, and is quite similar to Godzilla Generations. In order to clear the stage, the player must destroy all of the G-Energy Generators in the map, while also being attacked by G-Force and occasionally a boss. Some of these stages are timed and the player must destroy all of the Generators before the timer expires. As Godzilla destroys objects such as buildings, G-Energy Generators, and military vehicles, he will increase in size. Godzilla begins the campaign at 50 meters in height, and can reach an almost limitless size. Bosses that Godzilla faces will be leveled at the appropriate height based on Godzilla's current size. In order to complete Destruction Mode and reach the game's true final boss, the player must reach 100% destruction in each of the stages, discover all four special camera angles in every stage, and exceed 100 meters in height by the last stage. If all of these requirements are met, after the credits roll the player will begin the final stage as Burning Godzilla and be attacked by the Super X3 and several DAG-MB96 Maser Cannons. After this, the Legendary Godzilla will appear as the game's true final boss and must be defeated before the timer expires and Godzilla reaches meltdown.

You can also defend the cities as friendly kaijus or invade with the villainous kaijus.

King of Kaiju
King of Kaiju is a game mode where the player plays through six stages, each with a different monster to fight. The monsters increase in strength the further the player progresses. The weaker monsters will appear in the first two waves (such as Mothra and Jet Jaguar), slightly harder monsters in the third and fourth, and the most powerful monsters in the final two stages (such as King Ghidorah, Gigan and Kiryu). The Heisei Godzilla, Burning Godzilla, and the American Godzilla are all playable in this mode

Evolution Mode
As the player defeats certain enemies and destroys certain structures in Destruction Mode, new abilities will be unlocked and can be applied to Godzilla in this mode. Godzilla can receive new attacks, including the "victory dance" from Invasion of Astro-Monster, as well as atomic breath upgrades, including the ability to use atomic breath to fly as in Godzilla vs. Hedorah, as well as fire Minilla's smoke rings or use a white misty atomic breath based on that used by the original Godzilla in 1954. In the PlayStation 4 version of the game, Evolution mode is used to unlock new monsters after the player has defeated them in Destruction Mode, as well as upgrade their abilities. The upgrades that the player makes to their monster can be used in online multiplayer matches.

Diorama Mode
Throughout the game, the player will unlock monster models and other objects that can be placed in an environment and viewed from various angles and used to take screenshots, allowing the player to recreate battles from the film or the game, or to create fantasy battles. It is way more fun than it should be:

Kaiju Guide
The player will also unlock bios for various monsters from the Godzilla series beyond just those featured in the game. These bios include pictures of the monsters from films they appear in, as well as information about the monsters' attributes and film appearances.

It has really weird TANK CONTROLS
  • Moving the Left Analog Stick/D-Pad has Godzilla move in all directions. Rather than having full and fluid Analog movement, the monster strafes/shimmies when the player presses left or right on the Analog Stick/D-pad.
  • The Right Analog Stick moves the camera. This lets the player get many cinematic angles while they're playing. No matter what angle the player is in, Godzilla always moves forward when they push up on the D-Pad/Move up on the Left Analog Stick.
  • Pressing the R3 Button (Clicking in the Right Analog Stick) at the right places has the camera move to "Cinematic Mode", where there are 4 available angles per stage. Getting them all is essential to achieving the "True Ending" of the game.
  • The Square Button is the basic attack button. Holding no direction has the monster do a 3 hit combo attack.
  • The Circle Button has Godzilla fire atomic breath.
  • The Triangle Button is the strong attack button and can be chained in at the end of normal combos.
  • The X button has Godzilla do a quick charging move, which can be combo'd with other buttons for various effects.
  • L1/R1 are used to turn Godzilla.
  • R2 is an atomic block/dodge/shield, making your kaiju invincible for the entirety of the animation.

Versus Mode
The highlight of the game versus mode lets you take your favorite monsters and duke it out in 1v1 combat or 1v1v1 combat(this the REALLY fun one). The games netcode is surprisingly good for as low budget of a title as this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9wqVIo3g_I

Who Made the Cut
Godzilla(1964/1989/1995/2014)
Anguirus
Battra(Larva/Adult)
Biollante
Destroyah
Gigan(Final Wars)
Hedorah
Jet Jaguar
King Ghidorah
Kiryu(MechaGodzilla 3)
MechaGodzilla(1&2)
Mecha King Ghidorah
Mothra(Larva/Adult)
Rodan
Space Godzilla
Super MechaGodzilla

Trailers & Videos
Announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pWcejV8Ieo
The Battle Heats Up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrAFaaupO8w
Ultimate Mayhem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnyU1RmVvks

Game Informer Test Chamber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9e6c5llEp0
Super Best Friends Play Godzilla the Game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx28qW2amSM

Hidden Secrets/Trivia
  • If the player encounters Jet Jaguar three times in one playthrough, after defeating him the third time the player will obtain a trophy called "Our Jet Jaguar" and a cutscene will be triggered showing Godzilla and Jet Jaguar shaking hands as they did at the end of Godzilla vs. Megalon.
  • When Gigan is defeated, his head will explode, as it did in Godzilla: Final Wars.
  • Within the game, advertisements for S.H. MonsterArts can be seen on top of buildings. S.H. MonsterArts figures were used to help develop the character models for the monsters in the game.
  • There is an unused sound file in the PS3 version of the game of the G-Force operator saying Mecha-King Ghidorah's name, suggesting that he was going to appear in the game but was scrapped. However, Mecha-King Ghidorah was later added to the PlayStation 4 version of the game.
  • This game was the last project that Koichi Kawakita, special effects director for most of the Heisei series, worked on prior to his death in December 2014. Kawakita was a consultant for the making of this game.
  • In an interview with Shunsuke Fujita, the game's producer, he mentioned that at first he didn't even intend for Jet Jaguar to appear in the game, but walked into his office and saw him on the screen, and "couldn't say no." [10] In this same spirit, Fujita said that he would consider adding any available monster to the game, including Godzooky.
  • In the same interview, Fujita stated that the reason he made Godzilla move so slowly in the game was so that it didn't feel like the 1998 film.
  • Each of the monsters' intros in the PlayStation 4 version of the game reflect scenes from the films they appeared in. For example, Mothra's intro shows her emerging from her cocoon on the Diet Building like in Godzilla vs. Mothra, while MechaGodzilla's intro shows him emerging from an underground base like he did in both Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla and Terror of MechaGodzilla.
  • In the Kaiju Guide, Anguirus' bio states that he once fought a monster called "Gigantis," who has since been banished from this plane of existence, an inside joke poking fun at the American dub of Godzilla Raids Again, in which Godzilla was called "Gigantis."

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Reserved for Evo monster list. Will update as guaranteed monster spawnings are found.

Godzilla 2014: Clear over 50% of the special camera recordings, clear Hard Mode God Of Destruction with Godzilla being over 100m tall. Act 25 will unlock and you will have 3 minutes and 30 seconds to defeat both Godzilla(2014) and Super X3.

Burning Godzilla: Clear Invasion Mode with any non Godzilla Monster over 100m tall. You'll have 5 minutes to defeat him.

Destroyah: Can randomly spawn as a Super Boss on the Hard Mode path. Guaranteed spawn is to clear Invasion Mode with Burning Godzilla being over 100m tall. No time limit for the fight.

Jet Jaguar: Clear Act 1 of God of Destruction with a 60-65% destruction rate. Instead of the level ending, Jet Jaguar will fly in.

Biollante: On Act 17 Hard Biollante spawns in at the 2:30-3:00 remaining mark. She will always be ten meters smaller than you.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 16, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

this game rules. maybe i'm just too into godzilla crap though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is this game really getting poo poo on by reviewers? It's no masterpiece but it's the first halfway-decent Godzilla game in a long loving time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Is this game really getting poo poo on by reviewers? It's no masterpiece but it's the first halfway-decent Godzilla game in a long loving time.

yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0vTrPwfviA

i mean the game has lots of problems but people are legit upset that the game exists

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I assume it's getting the same treatment as every Warriors game or low budget Japanese thing reviewers can't be bothered playing for more than ten minutes: 'It looks low budget and trashy, no-one cares, I'm not getting paid to give it a good score 4/10.'

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I can kind of understand it coming from the standpoint of it being $59.99 vs. the lack of polish, but a lot of the reviews are just like "durrr the controls" or whatever.Game owns but if you're not a Godzilla super fan wait til it's way cheaper.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, I guess Bamco decided that with it being a niche game and the price inevitably dropping quickly anyway they might as well fleece full price out of the Godzilla mega fans who'd buy it day one.
Like me.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Who Made the Cut
Destroyah
Jet Jaguar

Fffffuck man I want the game just for these two but I'll wait until the price drop.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Vanderdeath posted:

Fffffuck man I want the game just for these two but I'll wait until the price drop.

If you roar with Jet Jaguar then Strong Attack, he gives a thumbs up.

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

Neo Helbeast posted:

If you roar with Jet Jaguar then Strong Attack, he gives a thumbs up.

Unsolicited thoughts from someone who hasn't played this and only watched the videos:

1. OMFG be Godzilla
2. This would be way dumb WITHOUT the tank control scheme
3. I really hope it comes out on PS+ so I can save $20 when the price comes down

E: there's no way I'm making it through the night without buying this, I don't even like Godzilla

ReverendDre fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 16, 2015

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
No Godzuki No sale

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Sakurazuka posted:

low budget Japanese thing reviewers can't be bothered playing for more than ten minutes: 'It looks low budget and trashy, no-one cares, I'm not getting paid to give it a good score 4/10.'

Godhand is the greatest game ever made.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Real hurthling! posted:

i mean the game has lots of problems but people are legit upset that the game exists

:qqsay:

That's a really sad narrative to try spinning over a bad game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FAROOQ posted:

:qqsay:

That's a really sad narrative to try spinning over a bad game.

On the other hand this is now the second thread you've been a weirdo about this game existing in.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Sakurazuka posted:

On the other hand this is now the second thread you've been a weirdo about this game existing in.

Its almost like this lovely game's been brought up twice

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
This game is good but probably only if you really like Godzilla, it's probably actually bad but I can't tell because my love for all things Godzilla is blinding me I get to play as gigantic monsters and blow things up this is amazing.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The gameplay in this looks pretty bad. It looks like the older Godzilla games are much more fun to play. I really don't think it is some kind of reviewer conspiracy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Pound_Coin posted:

Godhand is the greatest game ever made.

Comparing this to Godhand is maybe a bit overzealous. No one who isn't super into Godzilla is going to give a gently caress about this game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

blackguy32 posted:

The gameplay in this looks pretty bad. It looks like the older Godzilla games are much more fun to play. I really don't think it is some kind of reviewer conspiracy.

It doesn't, though? Godzilla games are notoriously poo poo, that's why I don't get why people are particularly disgusted by this one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I thought Destroy All Monsters Melee was a passable game. But im just going to drop it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah I initially was gonna give this game a pass since it didn't seem to be just a better, updated Destroy All Monsters Melee, but after seeing some game footage I went for it and I'm liking it a lot.

I've heard the complaint is that it's not challenging enough and repetitive, and that's true.

That said, I bought this game to play as a variety of cool monsters and blow things up, and that's what I get. I probably won't play this for a lengthy amount of time, but I'll definitely keep coming back to it. This game scratches an itch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I am kind of attracted to this game just on the basis of it being something that 100% goes for simulating a very specific feel. I get the sense that everything about the gameplay design is fully intentional because it fundamentally has very different intentions than most other games on a philosophical level. It's sacrificing conventional playability in favour of accurately putting you in the role of an incredibly slow, lumbering dinosaur.

That said gently caress this being $60, that's just stupid.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

I am kind of attracted to this game just on the basis of it being something that 100% goes for simulating a very specific feel. I get the sense that everything about the gameplay design is fully intentional because it fundamentally has very different intentions than most other games on a philosophical level. It's sacrificing conventional playability in favour of accurately putting you in the role of an incredibly slow, lumbering dinosaur.

if it was like even half that price I'd be willing to get it but for the amount of stuff being offered I can't justify it, especially because this was originally a ps3 thing. definitely will get it by christmas once it dumpsters into 20 bux territory

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I had heard somewhere that the PS3 version had fewer monsters, which is kinda a dealbreaker for me.

VVV Yeah thats dogshit. I have no intention of getting a PS4 for at least another year.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 16, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah, the PS3 version only let's you play as Godzilla and has half the poo poo of the PS4 one, that's definitely not worth anyone's money.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Hakkesshu posted:

It's sacrificing conventional playability in favour of accurately putting you in the role of an incredibly slow, lumbering dinosaur.

both of these statements are true

The way the story is framed is pretty cool, especially at the end when you are starting to meltdown and not giving a gently caress

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

A couple tips for those starting to do the harder paths, on the timed levels you just have to destroy the generators on time, you can take you time afterwards as long as the enemy kaiju is still alive. I don't know how they expect you to get all the data captures without abusing that.

I believe the fury multiplier is based on number of objects destroyed, because wrecking a set of train tracks makes your multiplier shoot up quickly.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

both of these statements are true

The way the story is framed is pretty cool, especially at the end when you are starting to meltdown and not giving a gently caress

I have to say, if the game really does end with the penultimate arc wherein Godzilla is dying from a nuclear heart and has one last fight with Destroyah, that's sick as hell.

Kind of wish they put in Orga and Megalon though. I always liked Orga as a "new" monster and Megalon would have at least made the old Jet Jaguar fight possible. Why they limit you to 3-monster fights instead of 4 player along with tag teams is beyond me.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

I have to say, if the game really does end with the penultimate arc wherein Godzilla is dying from a nuclear heart and has one last fight with Destroyah, that's sick as hell.

Nah, Destroyah only shows up as a random encounter, and he's a huge bastard. The final boss is Legendary Super Saiyen Godzilla.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like giant monsters and there's not a ton of games that let you smash poo poo, but I'm not really that into Godzilla.

I want to like this but I'm pretty sure it'd just be a short diversion for me, so I guess I'll wait until I can get it on sale.

Is there a local 1v1 or 1v1v1 multiplayer or is it all online or bots?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I like giant monsters and there's not a ton of games that let you smash poo poo, but I'm not really that into Godzilla.

I want to like this but I'm pretty sure it'd just be a short diversion for me, so I guess I'll wait until I can get it on sale.

Is there a local 1v1 or 1v1v1 multiplayer or is it all online or bots?

Nope, all online. Lack of local play is my biggest complaint by far, I want to get drunk and spam tailswipes at my friends.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I like giant monsters... but I'm not really that into Godzilla.

:raise:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I know. Its a little weird. Godzilla's just like, a little too old and cheesy?

And even then I can kinda appreciate Godzilla, I'm just not like a huge fan. Which is still weird I guess, yeah.

Broseph Brostar posted:

Nope, all online. Lack of local play is my biggest complaint by far, I want to get drunk and spam tailswipes at my friends.

Yeah getting drunk and smashing buildings in local versus would make it a sale for me, but without that I gotta hold off until its cheap.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Is this as good as Save the Earth, because I though that was a legit good game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Zaphod42 posted:

I know. Its a little weird. Godzilla's just like, a little too old and cheesy?

Get out. :colbert:

Also loooove this game. Wish it wasn't 60 bucks though. It should be 20 to 40 at most. I also love the controls. Godzilla should be a slow lumbering tank. To me it feels like you are actually Godzilla. Slowly stomping, and wrecking poo poo in your path.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Jet Jaguar appears at 50-60%, might want to update that.

This game reminds me a lot of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle in that it's not a very good game, but it is a fantastic love letter to the series and its fans. I can't stop playing.

I always get my rear end kicked by the 100m kaiju that show up on the hard path while I'm still under 60m. No idea what to do other than charge away and spam R2 when they get too close.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Early 100m kaijus are caused by RNG, if you fail to beat them you'll probably get the regular version when you try again and they definitely appear on the easy path too. I wonder if you get bonus energy for beating the 100m version.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgj_MV1lnec

The thread needs more videos of epic battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when you are matched up against 30-40m taller monsters than you, you have to back off, learn the tells, and abuse r2

gidorah hops right into a tail whip or laser. if you strafe right at the first sign of his laser you can thread the needle of most of the blasts.

super mecha godzilla's beams can be dodged by charging forward just past him and then you spam tail whip / r2

etc.

takes forever though. better off restarting.

• Locked thread