Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ianiniho posted:

Isn't the point to go outside your comfort zone though? Read something you wouldn't normally read, expand your horizons n all that?

Stravinsky's had varied success on that part with the different challenges in the reading challenge thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
OK, one last day for suggestions. Tomorrow this thread will become a poll (presuming I can figure out how to do that). It sounds like we have a few different ideas for which direction to head in, so the poll should be interesting.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

ulvir posted:

Stravinsky's had varied success on that part with the different challenges in the reading challenge thread.

I think because that's less time-constrained, it's less like herding cats, but also less of a monthly event thing. I don't see a load of discussion in that thread, which is what the book club needs.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

I wish there was more discussion in the challenge thread and part of the reason I made several of the categories vague. Anyway I repurposed the suggestion I had made when this subject came up before (last year?) when I did this year's challenge thread. It was do a theme instead of a specific book. That way in the lead up people could make suggestions to one another about different books that would fit that theme in the upcoming month and then talk about the books they are reading and how they fit the theme and what they think about it. This way there isn't a constraint on what you read while still broadening your horizons. Someone could read SciFi or whatever 17th century book where a monk styles all over protestant theory they want as long as they somehow fit the theme.

The main weakness is that it becomes uhhh decentralized and could lead to people just talking past each other as apparent in the challenge thread but that may just be a problem inherent to that thread because its commonly seen as a place to just update their checklist.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Also its the summer and as I said before everyone's reading murakami at the beach rather than doing book clubs right now

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stravinsky posted:

Also its the summer and as I said before everyone's reading murakami at the beach rather than doing book clubs right now

Murakami is for anime fans who want to look intellectual ( at the beach or elsewhere)!

I mean really read Mishima or don't

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Murakami is for anime fans who want to look intellectual

you would know

*scorches the earth with such a burn*

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

you would know

*scorches the earth with such a burn*

I put the psmooth in psuedo-intellectual

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I put the psmooth in psuedo-intellectual

I can't believe you think anyone takes you seriously in the Lit thread with an avatar like that

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Well, maybe read books are appropriate for the time of year?

The problem with picking a new book or popular book is that you can get trapped with not having much to discuss, other than plot points and twists.

For instance, my real life book club picked The Martian recently. Half of the book club liked the book, the other half didn't. Most of the discussion was about our opinions on why the book was good or why we hated it. Not much of a debate.

Next book was Dharma Bums by Kerouac. It's about half the size of The Martian, and not much action happens, but it's given us more topics to discuss (Buddhism and it's popularity during the 50's and 60's, the Beats, misogyny, etc). Plus, it's the summer, and it's a book about camping and the great outdoors, so while not everyone liked it, it had enough to talk about other than why we liked it or hated it.

I don't see there being a problem with forced variety (last month we chose a Sci-Fi book, no one can suggest sci-fi this month) or as Stravinsky mentioned, maybe picking a theme to follow with suggestions. If every month we pick a fantasy, sci-fi, or Tom Clancy-esque book, I'm kinda lost.

I'm totally open to getting newer books. Barnes and Nobles and Amazon makes it pretty easy to get the newest books for $15 physical, $10 digital, and it's not like libraries have gone extinct.

EDIT: And to add a book to the polls, what about Wolf In White Van by John Darnielle?

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 22, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Murakami is for anime fans who want to look intellectual ( at the beach or elsewhere)!

I mean really read Mishima or don't

Has the general public ever looked at any anime fan and been like "oh man, that dude reading Japanese comics sure is intellectual."

esn2500
Mar 2, 2015

Some asshole told me to get fucked and eat shit so I got fucked and ate shit
Where dem polls at

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Paper With Lines posted:

Has the general public ever looked at any anime fan and been like "oh man, that dude reading Japanese comics sure is intellectual."

Very briefly when Akira came out and then never again

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

esn2500 posted:

Where dem polls at

Polls will go up later tonight

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

corn in the bible posted:

Very briefly when Akira came out and then never again

I was totally going to say this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ok, I'm closing this thread. Poll is up, go vote. Thanks for everyone who suggested things; if I didn't use your suggestion this month I may use it in future, we just got a lot of entries.

GO HERE NOW: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3732757

• Locked thread