Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

typekit will become the most valuable as people refuse to block it

is typekit the thing that makes fonts change like 5 times on a site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

typekit is good and it made me mad ghostery blocked it

you can unblock it but they do sell the user data

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its not cool. i put my fancy fonts and it looks good and then i realize some idiot poo poo is blocking it and making the fonts look like poo poo. ghostery is ruining my personal vision

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the mobile web is over. lol if your content is not in an app

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

its not cool. i put my fancy fonts and it looks good and then i realize some idiot poo poo is blocking it and making the fonts look like poo poo. ghostery is ruining my personal vision

laffo if your site doesn't gracefully degrade all the way down to lynx

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
the cremnob infection is spreading

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sounds like someone just got told they're still not getting early review units

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

emoji posted:

As I walk through the valley filled with nerds and gays I take a look at my watch and realize I have AIDS

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

The Management posted:

sounds like someone just got told they're still not getting early review units

katie cotton would have punished him for the hatchet job on the apple watch and this but the "new apple" probably wont. apple realizes it doesnt really matter what reviewers write cause more than any other company, they own the relationship with customers more than anyone and there arent any gatekeepers between them

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

really hope apple promotes ad blockers on the app store tho. either way it will disproportionately hurt the verge's bottom line cause their audience is tech dweebs.

everyone lets their guard down cause of timb's southern gentleman public persona with that southern drawl, but really he's a shark. u think tim ended the thermonuclear war?? no he's stepped it up and is going for the jugular without a peep from the dumb tech nerd outcry about patent lawsuits

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

timb is salting the earth with one hand and offering publishers a carrot in the other

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

oh my loving god please ban cremnob

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

triple sulk posted:

cut off his head and 2 more shall take his place

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

triple sulk posted:

:toot:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

webkit guy retweeted me :cool:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:toot: B A N C R E A M K N O B :toot:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
web sites that dont have a good mobile version or w.e suck balls on a telephone.. scrolling all over. lag. pop up ad. smdh

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boxturret posted:

:toot: B A N C R E A M K N O B :toot:
at this point you're more annoying than cremnob is

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

and of course the comments on a verge article consist of everyone saying what android phone they have and making sure to emphasize that it's buttery smooth and a daily driver

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
mobile is worst but cross-platform, websites are all getting annoying with retarded UI designs. when i scroll up i'm trying to reread something i scrolled by too quickly, not trying to make a useless navigation banner pop out of nowhere and hide the exact text i was just scrolling up to see. or it has a banner always on top but it either takes up 1/3 of the screen or fucks up page-at-a-time scrolling bc its floating or whatever

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

how many companies will timb ruthlessly slay?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow i didnt really notice cremnobs posting. its kind of like faded into white noise at this point.. but its really goddamn bad when certain bits surface from the constant din of unrelenting twitter posts and screenshots of news articles

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

yaaas slay queen~~

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

hmmm

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

its happening :woop:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

don't think I want apple products with chrysler quality levels

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

what about apple products with compaq quality levels

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Apple Hires Auto Industry Manufacturing Veteran
Hiring of Doug Betts may be signal that efforts to develop electric car may be gaining ground

Apple Inc. has hired one of the auto industry’s veteran manufacturing executives, a signal that its efforts to develop an electric car could be gaining ground.

Doug Betts, who led global quality at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV until last year, is now working for the Cupertino, Calif.-based electronics giant but declined to comment on the position when reached Monday. Mr. Betts’ LinkedIn profile says he joined Apple in July and describes his title as “Operations - Apple Inc.” with a location in the San Francisco Bay Area but no further specifics.

Apple declined to comment on the new hire.

Along with Mr. Betts, whose expertise points to a desire to know how to build a car, Apple recently recruited one of the leading autonomous-vehicle researchers in Europe and is building a team to work on those systems.

Apple, with nearly $200 billion in cash reserves, has joined Google Inc. and other nontraditional auto companies in exploring ways to make systems for vehicles or build entire cars that increasingly rely on sophisticated software systems to operate.

The interest of tech companies in the auto industry has sparked a race between Silicon Valley and traditional auto hubs, including Frankfurt and Detroit, to secure the talent and resources necessary to compete in a transformed auto industry.

Car-sharing service Uber Technologies Inc. poached 40 researchers from a Carnegie Mellon University program that competed with a range of auto companies and tech companies. Apple earlier in the year settled a lawsuit filed by battery maker A123 Systems claiming the Cupertino company attempted to use A123 employees to start a battery operation.

More than 17 million light vehicles are expected to be sold in the U.S. this year and about 85 million are sold annually around the world. Companies increasingly see cars as a mobile device on wheels, with billions of dollars in new revenue potential.

Apple has hired hundreds of people to work on an electric-car project code-named “Titan.” Because Apple hasn’t publicly acknowledged the work, it is difficult to gauge how serious its plans are for building an electric car.

Apple has targeted employees at Tesla to fill out its team working on the car, according to people familiar with the matter. On a call with analysts in May, Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said he hoped that Apple would get into the car business but noted that Tesla had recruited five times as many employees from Apple as Apple had poached from Tesla in the previous 12 months.

Earlier this year, Apple hired Paul Furgale a well-regarded autonomous vehicle researcher in Switzerland, and has begun recruiting other robotics and machine vision experts to work on a confidential project.

Mr. Furgale had been deputy director of the Autonomous Systems Lab at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, or ETH. Mr. Furgale previously had led a European Commission project called V-Charge that sought to develop self-parking vehicle technology.

He didn’t respond to phone and email messages for comment. A member of the lab in Switzerland confirmed that he left the institute to work for Apple but didn’t have a contact number for him.

Mr. Furgale has begun recruiting students and researchers to work with him. Apple has hired a graduate student studying at the University of Michigan and has quietly recruited others.

Apple CEO Tim Cook appointed Steve Zadesky to lead the group, a veteran product designer and former Ford Motor Co. engineer. Mr. Zadesky was given permission to create a 1,000-person team and recruit employees from other parts of Apple, people familiar with the matter said.

Mr. Betts could be the first major automotive executive to join Apple with experience leveled more at the manufacturing side of the business.

For nearly two decades, he has worked in product quality and manufacturing at an auto company, first as a general manager at Toyota Motor Corp. and later as a vice president at Nissan Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC, now FCA US LLC.

In 2009, when Fiat SpA took over Chrysler, CEO Sergio Marchionne tapped Mr. Betts to lead the company’s quality turnaround, giving him far-reaching authority over the company’s brands and even the final say on key production launches.

Mr. Betts abruptly left Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV last year to pursue other interests. The move came less than a day after the car maker’s brands ranked poorly in an influential reliability study.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

"Mr. Betts abruptly left Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV last year to pursue other interests. The move came less than a day after the car maker’s brands ranked poorly in an influential reliability study."

sounds like an awesome hire

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob posted:

what about apple products with compaq quality levels

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The AIDs is coming from inside the thread!!!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

cremnob posted:

how many companies will timb ruthlessly slay?

Poor Generation Mobile

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gas

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'd settle for apple products with pre-2012 apple quality levels

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd settle for a good company making stuff rather than these fail halfass silicon valley companies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
cremnob spends his days on windows 7 looking longingly at store.apple.com and his posts are the result

pray for cremnob

• Locked thread