Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Real courage would be to extend the keyboard by adding the touch bar above the f key as a 7th row of keys so you no longer had to deal with dumb combined media keys getting in the way of your function key usage

Shrink the touchpad a little while you're at it so your palms don't have to rest directly on top of it all the time. My 2017 MacBook pro misclicked so loving much that week i had it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

lol. you're gonna launch into orbit with that spin.

but no, it's dumb for like, all of the reasons.

it's an over-engineered gimmick that's worse than the thing it replaces

yep

I have never, ever wanted a "secure display" inaccessible to the OS, particularly not at the cost of battery life or my f-keys

it is cute but pointless, like those ibm laptops with a second, smaller slide-out screen

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no, but look, now you can make one-touch purchases from the app store!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

the touch bar is a secure display that can show you things the OS can't fake or access, which is required to make sure your Touch ID purchases aren't being spoofed by malware.

standard PCs just use TPM for this but I guess an off the shelf $0.50 part that doesn't suck battery or require a screen would have been too simple for you brave genius types in cupertino

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the idea of an extra little bar that shows useful common functions and switches according to the current task is cool and good

there was no reason to remove a row of keys to do it. make the tragic macpad a half inch shorter instead

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Doc Block posted:

it's me, I'm the guy who presses the function keys on purpose and more than once every few months.

i use them as volume control, pause/start button, and brightness control probably at least once a day

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
i use F8 (play pause) and F9 (next) like 100 times a day.

i guess we found the windows user?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

maybe I'm using it wrong
sometimes your favorite corporation is actually wrong or at least imperfect. i know it can be hard accept :sympathy:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

i use F8 (play pause) and F9 (next) like 100 times a day.

i guess we found the windows user?

no, i use function keys repeatedly

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I have yet to meet anyone IRL that likes the touchbar

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I didn't even know that

but it's easier to hit the button right there on the screen so why would I even look down

I refuse to believe anyone uses the video scrubbing bar instead of just using the touchpad and the screen

I gave this touch bar a serious chance but it's just been a long wet fart 💨

maybe I'm using it wrong

so how about those homepods

the video scrubbing bar apparently allows you to skip through youtube ads, so i guess if you're in that lucrative crossover between someone who needs a 'pro' machine but doesn't know how to install adblock that might sway you. same with picture in picture and the PIPtool extension.

i use a bespoke artisanal keyboard from assdrop that has no function row because i'm an idiot that doesn't know how to spend money properly. this required way too much effort and macro-ing to use on windows, but since i started using osx full time i can't remember a time when i've actually needed anything in the function row; no keyboard shortcut actually seems to use it. media playback controls are nice but they still don't work consistently enough for me to rely on.

the thing does thankfully have an escape key which i'm pretty sure i would not be able to handle the removal of. i guess it doesn't stick out too much in the grand scheme of things with the MBP keyboard, what with it already requiring an adjustment period wherein every muscle memory instinct is screaming 'something is deeply wrong here'

honestly, the touch bar seems like a cool gimmick. it's just in the wrong product. i don't doubt it would surprise and delight people who don't and will never use keyboard shortcuts and look down at the keyboard occasionally whilst typing

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
For my personal computer I use a Kinesis Freestyle2 Mac edition with the last great MBP, the maxed out discrete Nvidia 2014 model.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

duTrieux. posted:

okay, seriously, what the gently caress do people do to their cables

the only apple cable i've had fall apart on me is a 30-pin from, like, forever ago that i got with a 2nd or 3rd gen ipad and i'm pretty sure that that was because of the cat

the lightning cables that shipped with the 5 did have a materials issue where the plastic would disintegrate rapidly at about the 2yr mark but you could just walk in to an apple store and they'd swap it out but of course people are gigantic loving babies

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Fabricated posted:

i think it is o.k.

but yeah i have to literally think about it to remember to use it at all

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also i get survey emails from apple focused on the touchbar

its like nobody else bought it or something

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I replaced the Siri button in the upper right with a lock button which is nice but why doesn't OSX have a Win+L shortcut equivalent

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I replaced the Siri button in the upper right with a lock button which is nice but why doesn't OSX have a Win+L shortcut equivalent

ctrl+cmd+q

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

that is poo poo, poorly documented, and too easy to accidentally force quit an app with

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

that is poo poo, poorly documented, and too easy to accidentally force quit an app with

iirc it was only added in weed cat also

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lmbo even better

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

standard PCs just use TPM for this but I guess an off the shelf $0.50 part that doesn't suck battery or require a screen would have been too simple for you brave genius types in cupertino

lol no. TPM doesn't work if you allow users to install third party apps that aren't secure. you know, like Microsoft word or flash player or other things people install on desktop machines. or drivers for their hardware. and it requires the os and apps to be resistant to local and remote exploits.

but if you trust windows / macos / linux to hold your biometric data and also not to show you it's charging you $1 for a song when in reality your biometric approval is being used to authorize $1000 from Russia, go right ahead.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

lol no. TPM doesn't work if you allow users to install third party apps that aren't secure. you know, like Microsoft word or flash player or other things people install on desktop machines. or drivers for their hardware. and it requires the os and apps to be resistant to local and remote exploits.

but if you trust windows / macos / linux to hold your biometric data and also not to show you it's charging you $1 for a song when in reality your biometric approval is being used to authorize $1000 from Russia, go right ahead.

imho $1000 for some russian music sounds like a good deal since you still come out with some spare cash and function key row in the end

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

The Management posted:

Do you trust windows, macos, or linux enough to type in your credit card number when shopping online?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my credit card is in the keychain, yes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

Do you trust windows, macos, or linux enough to type in your credit card number when shopping online?

with tokenized cards and biometric identification you don't need to do that, meaning that hopefully I will never need to trust them for it anymore.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

anyone else having alarm issues since updating to iOS 11? before if my ringer was off (which it always is) the alarm still sounded at full volume. now it only vibrates if the ringer is switched off. I go into work at slightly different times each day so I've come to rely on it. cool!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

because its a toy not a tool

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

the touch bar is a secure display that can show you things the OS can't fake or access, which is required to make sure your Touch ID purchases aren't being spoofed by malware.

that's cool, now explain replacing the hardware esc key with an empty bezel and a shifted-over soft key with no force feedback

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

butttouchbar should definitely have haptic feedback. it would be sick if it made little light clicks as you dragged on the playback bar

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

that's cool, now explain replacing the hardware esc key with an empty bezel and a shifted-over soft key with no force feedback

it's very dumb and bad

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

[quote="“The Management”" post="“477047905”"]
it’s very dumb and bad
[/quote]

:negative: They told me it was going to be cool... they had a video...

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“Comfy Fleece Sweater”" post="“477048117”"]
:negative: They told me it was going to be cool... they had a video...
[/quote]

It isn't. as a vim user I am constantly annoyed by it. they should have left a physical escape key but designers don't use escape apparently.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

It isn't. as a vim user I am constantly annoyed by it. they should have left a physical escape key but designers don't use escape apparently.

They sent out this survey asking for feedback on mice and keyboards and I'm pretty sure they just gave up because the actual page to fill it out died after 3 hours.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

They sent out this survey asking for feedback on mice and keyboards and I'm pretty sure they just gave up because the actual page to fill it out died after 3 hours.

here's a picture of PD reading user feedback:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fabricated posted:

nobody in yospos likes it either, they're trolling if they say they do

just fyi

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i always used a hot corner to do that :shrug:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

osx has deliberately bad keyboard shortcuts so they can claim the mouse is faster and then remove more keys from the keyboard

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how is a british keyboard different from a US english keyboard

and more importantly is it funnier

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

not really. british spelling correction, and different spots for @ and " - thats about it afaik (havent used american keyboard more than via an accident). probably some slashes placed differently on hardware layout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“bump_fn”" post="“477051661”"]

[/quote]

keys are crooked, yellow

• Locked thread