Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
more force required to press the function keys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

imho $1000 for some russian music sounds like a good deal since you still come out with some spare cash and function key row in the end

if my early 2000s experience with allofmp3.ru is any guide $1000 is all of the music in the world, in flac, from an organized crime family

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
what if u remap the ` key to esc, it's the top left key on the keyboard and you can map alt-` to ` so u can still make open-quotes in LaTeX or whatever. i mean it's :sad: to have to do it but it could work idk

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mad Wack posted:

if my early 2000s experience with allofmp3.ru is any guide $1000 is all of the music in the world, in flac, from an organized crime family

prolly. im an avid fan of certain niche genre of russian electronic music, and until like a year or two i was buying full-priced lps (albums) for maybe 2 dollars, and eps (singles) for maybe a dollar. back when i decided to buy their entire collection, i think i paid 80 dollars (for like 15 years of label's existence)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“The Management”" post="“477048320”"]
It isn’t. as a vim user I am constantly annoyed by it. they should have left a physical escape key but designers don’t use escape apparently.
[/quote]

did you call out discrimination against vim users in your exit interview?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vim users are subhuman filth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

[quote="“Shaggar”" post="“477056313”"]
vim users are subhuman filth
[/quote]

don't sign

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

emacs is better than vim

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Do people actually use text editors other than pico/nano?

E: Or Notepad++

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

what?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Schadenboner posted:

yea, g[od's own]edit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

emacs is better than vim

both are for subhuman filth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if a device has a terminal it probably has vi. that cannot be said for anything else

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

pico/nano would be good if they had save and save as instead of just save as

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Mad Wack posted:

it was a disturbingly good service. shame russian hacking has gone downhill from there

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poty posted:

it was a disturbingly good service. shame russian hacking has gone downhill from there

have you seen your president

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

if a device has a terminal it probably has vi. that cannot be said for anything else

if you're using stuff that's so old it doesn't have pico/nano then your work probably doesn't matter

Schadenboner posted:

E: Or Notepad++

sublime

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
Vim fuckin rules

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

are you guys like afraid of mice or something idg why everyone has such a boner for textmode editors but I don't code janitor and I was an emacs guy when I did so that probably explains it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm Jackin In to the matrix over here

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm Jackin It to the matrix over here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

if you're using stuff that's so old it doesn't have pico/nano then your work probably doesn't matter

sublime

when did BusyBox add nano/pico?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hobbesmaster posted:

when did BusyBox add nano/pico?

i don't think it did? https://busybox.net/downloads/BusyBox.html

might exist as an add-on, though

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

are you guys like afraid of mice or something idg why everyone has such a boner for textmode editors but I don't code janitor and I was an emacs guy when I did so that probably explains it

everyone i've met irl who talked it up always mentioned how 'annoyed' they were by having to use a mouse and would get visibly frustrated when they'd see me accomplish something by scrolling/clicking/typing faster than they could remember the absurd keyboard combinations to accomplish what they were trying to do

it seems very dark-souls where because they wasted the time to beat their head through that brick wall they are now entitled to look down on anyone who just walks around it instead

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i realized years ago that i will never remember all the program functions that i need to use, regardless of whether they are command-line, keyboard shortcut, or GUI. i always end up hunting around for the not-actually-very-obscure command that i forgot for the third time this week

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
https://twitter.com/drbarnard/status/915675532964098049

abandonware author upset that his abandoned app stopped working four years after being abandoned. but Apple threw him under a bus because he only had 5 years to do a 64 bit port and they've been warning about it for a year.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The Management posted:

https://twitter.com/drbarnard/status/915675532964098049

abandonware author upset that his abandoned app stopped working four years after being abandoned. but Apple threw him under a bus because he only had 5 years to do a 64 bit port and they've been warning about it for a year.

reading the thread it looks like he took it out of the app store 4 years ago and is upset that apple's message is making it seem like an update is even possible. i don't know why he even cares because he straight admits that it was abandoned almost half a decade ago. if he actually cared about his users' data he would have gracefully wound down the app and put in some ability for them to export their data in a final update before pulling it.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Rex-Goliath posted:

everyone i've met irl who talked it up always mentioned how 'annoyed' they were by having to use a mouse and would get visibly frustrated when they'd see me accomplish something by scrolling/clicking/typing faster than they could remember the absurd keyboard combinations to accomplish what they were trying to do

it seems very dark-souls where because they wasted the time to beat their head through that brick wall they are now entitled to look down on anyone who just walks around it instead

Name some exampkes of when TextPal does it faster bud

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
have the kairosoft games been updated for 64bits? i need my weird japanese games that all play the same

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Edit:
ah never mind, just clickbait

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Oct 6, 2017

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My Space Gray iPhone 8+ is suiting my needs. Thanks, Tim!

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
bloomberg businessweek out of nowhere with one of the greatest gifs of all time

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-10-04/apple-and-qualcomm-s-billion-dollar-war-over-an-18-part

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the new imessage is loving garbage.

if someone sends you a youtube video and you try to open it, it tries to open the youtube imessage app.

it won't give you the link, or open it in safari, or even add it to reading list though. Only imessage app.

I refuse to download the youtube imessage app.

what do

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

the new imessage is loving garbage.

if someone sends you a youtube video and you try to open it, it tries to open the youtube imessage app.

it won't give you the link, or open it in safari, or even add it to reading list though. Only imessage app.

I refuse to download the youtube imessage app.

what do

I've moved to Whatsapp but only because there's enough people in my tiny social circle using it too

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/09/ios-11-1-beta-2-2/

ufarn
May 30, 2009
this might be the most peak gruber ever https://twitter.com/daringfireball/status/917522573751091201

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
so, that file quarantine issue with high sierra that i was complaining about? lol it gets worse

1. start with a "safe" file (e.g. take a screenshot)
2. open it in preview or other apple software, then close it. it now has a com.apple.quarantine xattr on it!
3. in finder, go to Get Info and change Open With to any program that's different from a) the current default for that file type, and b) the apple program you just opened it in (so, if Preview is the default for pngs, have your screenshot open by default in Pixelmator, or whatever)
4. try to open the file

i assume this is some poorly-executed attempt to... idk, launder a malicious media file through an exploit in trusted software?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is it worth getting the stupid touch bar mbp for the faster chip

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

When you tap the Airplane Mode button, iOS remembers your last Bluetooth and WiFi settings and will leave those radios on if they were on last time you were in Airplane Mode.

Note that iOS will not turn on one of the radios if they are off when you enable Airplane Mode.

Give this a try:

Open Control Center, tap to turn on WiFi and Bluetooth
Tap the Airplane Mode button to enable it
Tap WiFi to turn it off
Tap Airplane Mode button to disable it
Tap WiFi to turn it back on
OK, now WiFi is enabled, but Airplane Mode remembers that you want it off. Let’s test that:

Tap to turn on Airplane Mode
Your WiFi radio should shut off, but your Bluetooth radio should stay on.

idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
dehumanize yourself and face to objects designed by apple in california

quote:

The CNBC All-America Economic Survey finds that 64 percent of Americans now own an Apple product, up from 50 percent when the question was last asked five years ago. The average American household reports owning 2.6 Apple products, up by a full Apple product from the 2012 survey.

“I cannot think of any other product — especially any other product at a high price point — that has that kind of permeation with the public and level of growth,” said Jay Campbell, pollster with Hart Research, which conducted the survey along with Public Opinion Strategies.
im sure those predictions that apple would be rudderless and adrift after stebes death will be coming true any moment now

• Locked thread