Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
pain is weakness leaving the body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

only babies cry

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

the pain argument isn't even relevant because he just needed surgery not even chemo. he died like a dumb poo poo for nothing after doing a bunch of dumb bullshit

he tried a vegan diet, acupuncture, herbal remedies, and other treatments he found online, and even consulted a psychic. He was also influenced by a doctor who ran a clinic that advised juice fasts, bowel cleansings and other unproven approaches, before finally having surgery

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

reminder that jobs bought a house in [some state] just so he could be a resident and qualify for a liver transplant faster

bought that liver out from under someone else

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

tennessee i believe

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

fuckin organ gentrifier

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

ok i think we've established Steve Jobs wasn't part of the goon hive mind and clearly didn't read the hallmark 2004 GBS thread "if you had cancer, would you suck balls at least once before you die?" which tackled the correct and proper ways for smarty pants goons to die.

quote:

Stephen Foskett and Daring Fireball's John Gruber speculate that Apple could potentially introduce a refreshed Thunderbolt Display with a built-in graphics card, which would result in a display able to work with almost any Mac because it would be driven by an internal graphics card rather than the machine it's connected to.

this is a cool idea and i'm sure i've floated it around these forums before, but drat is that unlikely. i want to believe, though. maybe it will use Polaris.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

or beat the poo poo out of intel to release the new chips that support the new thunderbolt that support the new displayport that support up to 10bit 8k

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

stop engaging and quoting stymie, you idiots

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Triglav posted:

or beat the poo poo out of intel to release the new chips that support the new thunderbolt that support the new displayport that support up to 10bit 8k

those won't be out until next year at the earliest

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

those won't be out until next year at the earliest

i been waitin forever already whats one more year lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endless Mike posted:

stop engaging and quoting stymie, you idiots

Please stop quoting the guy who disagrees with me, because I'm not smart enough to understand that people can see the same data and reach different opinions

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

please stop quoting people posting stop quoting stymie

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PleasureKevin posted:

this is a cool idea and i'm sure i've floated it around these forums before, but drat is that unlikely. i want to believe, though. maybe it will use Polaris.

i can't wait for my monitor to become obsolete in 18 months when the poo poo-tier laptop-grade graphics card is no good anymore instead of, gently caress, i don't know, a decade or more? do high quality IPS displays ever really become bad? I don't think so. Hot drat.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Triglav posted:

i been waitin forever already whats one more year lol

lomarf

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

well his slogan was "geniuses de-liver"!!

:eyepop:

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Sagebrush posted:

i can't wait for my monitor to become obsolete in 18 months when the poo poo-tier laptop-grade graphics card is no good anymore instead of, gently caress, i don't know, a decade or more? do high quality IPS displays ever really become bad? I don't think so. Hot drat.
I still have a IPS Dell monitor from... 2004? That I use as a secondary portrait monitor, and it's still chugging along, although it's got some pretty noticeable ghosting artifacts nowadays.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

PleasureKevin posted:

if they do this its gonna be some intel graphics like thing. this is not about gaming theyre not gonna be dumb and stick in there something that needs to be cooled like a nuclear power plant.

its about making 5k possible without having to switch to an imac which i personally have a huge boner for

poty fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 2, 2016

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

the graphics card is never out-dated because it's meant to power one thing: the 5K display. unless the display can jump to 8K with a software update, the card will have exactly enough power to run the display forever.

what's out-dated is actually the MacBooks and Macbook Airs out there. this would actually extend the useful lives of devices from 2011.

poty posted:

if they do this its gonna be some intel graphics like thing. this is not about gaming theyre not gonna be dumb and stick something that needs to be cooled like a nuclear power plant.

as far as i know you cannot use Intel graphics as a discrete graphics chip like this. maybe there is some super custom solution that Intel uncharacteristically agreed to make. it's most likely an AMD chip. they already have AMD chips powering iMacs with the exact same form factor, regular heat pipe and fan and all.

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 2, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

PleasureKevin posted:

Macbook Airs
Macbooks Air

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Linguica posted:

Macbooks Air
Mackbook Atmosphere

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Linguica posted:

Macbooks Air

Macbook Air devices

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

Macbook Air devices

ding ding ding

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pleasure meTer in the green!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Sagebrush posted:

the grognard in me is super pissed at the idea of using a 480MBps serial data bus to transmit an encoded signal that needs to be decoded again at the destination two feet away when it could be carried equally well in a simple analog pair and fed directly into the transducers

I'm not intimately familiar with signaling over twisted pair, but I'm not really sure if simple signaling at GHz frequencies over a single twisted pair, even over only a distance of two feet, is really practical. Definitely possible with coaxial cable though, and that'd probably be the 'analog way' of doing it.

If you use the right connectors and cables, coaxial cables can signal at frequencies up to 110 GHz, albeit with a lot of attenuation. It's pretty old technology, but it's not cheap though. For example, a single 50 GHz coaxial connector costs like $50.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's probably gonna be a 480 chip or some variation in it since it's about the same power as the 390 iirc

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pairing a graphics card to a monitor instead of a graphics card to a PC sounds great for companies that make or install hardware, and extremely horrible for end users

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

Pairing a graphics card to a monitor instead of a graphics card to a PC sounds great for companies that make or install hardware, and extremely horrible for end users

imagine the middling performance gains of SLI but in a long cable and monitor form. epic

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

imagine the middling performance gains of SLI but in a long cable and monitor form. epic

I guarantee that poo poo will be impossible to upgrade or repair yourself too.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

how would i be bad for end users?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

the graphics card is never out-dated because it's meant to power one thing: the 5K display. unless the display can jump to 8K with a software update, the card will have exactly enough power to run the display forever.

what's out-dated is actually the MacBooks and Macbook Airs out there. this would actually extend the useful lives of devices from 2011.

lol why would anyone think this is a good idea and lol if you think apple wants to extend useful life beyond what the target price point justifies

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

lol @ the people who complaints about leaks

if you stepped into a factory back in 2010 or prior, you will find that pretty much no workers has a good enough cellphone for leaked photos, at most they have those Nokia or other candy bar clones that can text and call
now pretty much everyone has a good enough camera on them to take indoor photos

on the logistic side of things, there are usually 20k-60k workers in those factory
you can't ask them to remove their personal cellphones even if you'd like because they have breaks and personal time and some people just take the break or nap right near the assembly line, and even if you do, it will be pretty much impossible to enforce

also if you are really hellbent on setting up some sort of back scatter X-ray for 60k workers to go through everyday, there's no way it will fly with the local gov because someone can post it to weibo and make a huge deal out of it even if you just want it as company policy

in short, don't quote stymie

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PleasureKevin posted:

how would i be bad for end users?

You're right; the current trend of extremely pricey tech goods becoming less and less end-user-maintainable and planned obsolescence is actually good in the hosed up brain of someone who upgrades their phone and computer to the latest Consumer human being model. But do me a favor and try to think what someone without disposable income would think about paying double the price for a monitor with the drawback of having to replace the monitor and graphics card at the same time

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

if you don't have disposable income then you should consider buying a less fancy computer. you can buy a perfectly fine used PC for like $300

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

Larry Parrish posted:

You're right; the current trend of extremely pricey tech goods becoming less and less end-user-maintainable and planned obsolescence is actually good in the hosed up brain of someone who upgrades their phone and computer to the latest Consumer human being model. But do me a favor and try to think what someone without disposable income would think about paying double the price for a monitor with the drawback of having to replace the monitor and graphics card at the same time

sounds like someone too poor to afford apple products anyway

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Stymie posted:

it's super cool how folks are so eager to be critical of someone facing life and death decisions in retrospect without needing to take on any of the consequences of those decisions themselves

just remember: if you don't suffer until your last moments then you're a quitter

this is me reading your posts

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

PleasureKevin posted:

new Macbook may replace function keys with touch LCD

Hewlett Mackard

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted: