Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
this morning i had to go save one of my student workers from a faculty member who bought a new MBP and didn't realize it didn't have regular USB ports and got hopping mad about it

The student mentioned the dongles and he said "I'm not carrying a bunch of bullshit with this laptop"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
can we get back to how bad apple is now

like this is the first time in a long while I've actually had a faculty member be mad enough for me to have to calm them down

I guess where I work people are pretty chill and that isn't normal

graph do you still have people try to get into your office like that scene from the shining, wth is wrong with them

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So far we're batting a zero on the amount of people who like the new MBPs but I deal with engineering schools so not a lot of people actually buy macs since they don't run most of the software they use or teach with

Macs were generally really popular here with people who do nothing but check email, or people who really travel extensively

the faculty member that blew up on my poor student worker apologized- he was less mad about having bought something that doesn't really ~suit his needs~ as well but more that he realized this was what he was stuck with if he wanted a new MBP; he didn't have a choice to not enter the dongleverse if he wanted a new mac

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
people really like the surface pros and surface books here

book seems overpriced imo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the surface book has the least-bad non-Apple trackpad I've seen

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I've generally never had a real problem with latitudes for general work stuff.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

nah there will eventually be a mac pro update

:thurman:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There are many reasons windows is a POS but the main reason is the software ecosystem and the cruft supported for legacy apps.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I was kinda shocked at how bad the keyboard on the new mbps felt

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
because stymie is right

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
curved screen, lmao

come on tim, release the iphone note which is basically just an ipad mini that is also a cellphone, do it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

NoneMoreNegative posted:

iTunes: The Downward Spiral

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
iwatch sales have doubled from 1 to 2

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I can see the differences between seeking various levels of treatment from "as much as humanly possible" to pain management to flat out nothing- but if you're going to choose treatment and have unlimited money I'd stick with something medically sound and fruit juice up the butt isn't.

I'm more on the "never give up" side of things since I have a few people in my life who have beaten cancer diagnoses that were about as bad as you can get (one had her kidney become a 9-pound tumor, and the cancer was in basically everything but the brain...complete remission).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

pram posted:

gotta get back, back to the jack, headphone jack

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I can't be too mean to Nintendo since this is probably their last dedicated console before their shareholders march on their HQ and execute people until Nintendo goes mobile only and spends the next decade porting their entire back catalog with inapp purchases

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Stymie posted:

well let's not assume nintendo's failure just yet given that their current gaming device is set to sell wii-like numbers

however i will grant that nintendo's shareholders would be stupid enough to try and force them to make nothing but entertainment apps
I'm not pleased about it. Their stockholders greeted the switch with skepticism even after it had a successful launch

Can they just go private again? I mean it was always dynastic

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vintersorg posted:

please dont say "things are gay" as a bad thing

thx

also notification center is a loving joke - bring someone in who knows UI

bring back forstall

:gay:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shaggar posted:

moom sounds like a very Linux solution to a bad window manager

should really just use windows

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

FMguru posted:

this comment from an ars article about apple vs the carriers was worth quoting
this attitude regarding personal grudges and stubbornness dictating what software/hardware you can use extends to basically everything at Boeing btw

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The university I work at has a thing at least for now where all new buildings and any renovated office space gets this Steelcase open concept poo poo done to it and everyone hates it

the actual offices people do get are glass boxes with sliding doors that make you look like you're on display at a 7-11

there is at least something resembling walls on the cubicles to break line of sight and provide noise barriers since the piece of poo poo white noise generators that come with this setup don't help much

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

built-in white noise generators? is that a thing now?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

same question, also what's the steelcase open office concept

yep

basically all of our renovated/newly built areas look mostly like this

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sniep posted:

wait so its an A) open office env with B) offices still so you have clear lines on who the Valuable people are vs. the workerbees?
Basically but everyone important enough to get an actual office hates it because everyone can see if you're doing anything or not

faculty hate it especially because it's not the traditional cavernous 1920's faculty office with the gigantic, thick wooden door they can lock and hide behind. You can request the glass to be frosted but you have to pay for it out of your own funds and because of the ~aesthetic~ we're in on it only goes up about 4-5 feet so it doesn't really help at all. Also, typically the offices are ensconced in blocks on the interior of the floorplan- you don't even get an outside window.

The only people that benefit at all from this stuff are the "worker bees" since for our setup everyone gets motorized sit-stand desks and Steelcase's Aeron knock-off task chairs.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
when I finally get rid of my dumbphone i'll probably get an anroid and it'll likely be very needs suiting

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lower power processors suck if you are stemlord doing actual computing
If you're a stemlord you should probably just be running your jobs on a cluster or buying a proper workstation or if for some godawful reason you really need a "portable" laptop with high-end hardware get a Precision or something

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

The Management posted:

intel did the world a favor by being so stupid in mobile.
Mega agreedo. You do not want Intel handling the mobile space like they do the desktop space. We're lucky Ryzen isn't a total turd.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lomarf

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/29/iphone-8-plus-casing-split-open/

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Apple's lineup of iPhones next year will introduce a larger-screened LCD model, measuring more than 6 inches, according to a report today by The Bell (via The Korea Herald). It's unclear whether this size will be an additional offering to the current LCD iPhone lineup (including 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models), or if it's replacing these sizes completely.

In May we heard the first rumor about Apple's 2018 iPhones, which at the time focused solely on the OLED versions and did not mention the LCD models. This rumor stated that the devices would come in 5.28-inch and 6.46-inch OLED screen sizes. A subsequent report by ETNews suggested that Apple had ditched the small 5.28-inch size and moved to focus on 5.85-inch and 6.46-inch models, and today's report corroborates those claims.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Next macbook will be a 2in1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I have yet to meet anyone IRL that likes the touchbar

• Locked thread