Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

id be cool if it was slightly thicker and had a bigger battery to fill the extra space. "oh, hey one more thing: 25 hours lte browsing battery life - it'll last three days on a charge"

i charge my 5s every three or so days

i dont watch anime on it at the bus stop, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i've got a CD maturing in two weeks, tim. wow me

The Management posted:

why do you idiots think nfc is required for person to person payments? AirDrop exists now, transferring a token over that should be trivial.

this is how i trade rare pepes, yeah

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

he's pointing out how the macbook is smaller and lighter and slower and more expensive than the macbook air.

it's a p bad name, really, though i imagine the mba will get phased out sooner rather than later in favor of it. but who knows, you can still buy a non-retina 13" mbp

macbook air became the consumer laptop in 2011 when apple stopped making macbooks. when apple redesigned the macbook air in 2015 for retina, they dropped the descriptor that was only meaningful between 2008 and 2011 when they sold three laptops: traveler, consumer, professional

macbook airs are only still sold for the same reason pre-retina macbook pros and imacs are: to burn up old parts stock and to continue to make higher-percent profits off older designs that don't need logistics retooling, because people will still buy them for some reason, be they price conscious, scared by change, or mentally deficient

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

maniacdevnull posted:

Yeah that's an apple customer for ya

anyone who willfully touches a computer during their leisure hours off the assembly line, really

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

cremnob posted:

who is the macalope

lol

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

or how pc parts sites have the name as "ACER 24" 1080p VC211H-X 2 X HDMI 2ms 50000:1 wide viewing angle VESA"

when youre looking down a list of crap its good to have meaningful poo poo in the title so you dont have to click "acer vc211h-x" to find out it's 24”, 1080p, 2ms grey-to-grey (why so fast? cause GaMeRs want fast lovely panels), then click the next one, the next one, the next one

filtering would be better but thats not how people use sites. they just cram more specificity into the search box

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i was gonna get an a1419 emc 2806 mf886ll/a but decided to wait til skylake

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

there's not much special about beats 1

it's radio by a multinational with one venue instead of a conglomerate with tens of thousands of venues

by necessity the playlist is just whatever's on apple music, and in practice it's top 100 instead of top 40

tune in to hear pharrell and the weeknd

wrtj is alright even if they just play their own music

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

media distro contracts will probably get pricier if apples a creator

apple brings everyone over with other peoples stuff, then switches the feed

at least apples got money to resecure those contracts with

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i saw a youtube clip of them driving through the american south, essentially going out of their way to make fun of the locals. seemed dumb

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

apple vs everyone else http://aomedia.org/

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

ythink google's gonna work on something new with them or just lobby vp9 forever

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

ah ok

we believe that joining the forces of the designers of the Daala, Thor and VPx codecs in AOMedia will multiply our collective efforts to deliver next-generation media codecs, formats and technologies.”

“Google launched the WebM Project in 2010 in the belief that web video innovation was too slow and too closed, and that broad collaboration — in the open — would fix both problems. The Alliance for Open Media is a big leap forward for these core philosophies, and we’re gratified that our AOMedia partners share this vision. Our combined strength, resources and expertise will drive the next generation of web media experiences much further and faster than WebM can do alone,” said Matt Frost, Head of Strategy and Partnerships, Chrome Media.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

oh looks like vp9 is dead and this is them announcing vp10

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

qirex posted:

pretty sure all these "open" codecs are just that way because mpeg hasn't bothered scrutinizing their methods

vp8 got in trouble for having some avc in it

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

apples already paying mpeg for usage of both h264 and h265

its really not a problem for apple because licensing is only a couple cents per device

but for google and its business partners thats millions closer to bankruptcy

android 5 already has h265 so its more of a future play

a couple businesses coming together to gamble a few million on a codec is cheaper than everyone continuing to pay mpeg, if it takes off

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

yes, storage would be needed for apps

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i think there's an ios one so it wouldnt be outside the realm of possibilities

it would be good to have a prime channel, but amazon wants people buying firesticks or whatever so maybe they wont update the app

could still maybe airplay from ios?

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

recently there was a big media push for some new bieber skrillex song so its probably that one

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

the weeknd is actually good dumbasses

I know because I listened to him before heh was "cool"

considering their first album was top 40, congrats

especially since in canada they'd put it on even more for MAPL CanCon compliance

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

it's an after effects wobble

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i like the laziness of just "gently caress it, let the ants walk through each other"

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

like 30 and 60, 25 and 50 are normal, yeah

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

this is simple as gently caress, but:
12, 24, 48 are film
25, 50 are PAL
29.97, 59.94 are NTSC
30, 60 are digital

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

just keep adding more multiples of those base values for higher rates

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

pagan cow parachute account spotted

also, do cellphones or point and shoots film in PAL anymore? or ever? or is that just PAL video cameras? like what's the likelihood someone is using a PAL device to film that at 50 fps

the likelihood is there. phones and cameras sold in PAL regions generally record in or support recording in PAL. even cameras not sold in those regions support recording in PAL. but the video's creator probably set the framerate in after effects before adding the ants and camera wobble

it sucks when people combine digital (30) and ntsc (29.97) as one option. it can cause issues down the line

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

The Management posted:

I don't know who this is

he's a friend of drake

drakes the guy who made this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxgqpCdOKak&t=3m0s

drake started from the bottom as a child tv star, now he's here selling cds

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

well it's complicated cause he started on youtube and released mixtapes before he released an album which was basically a mix tape of all his mix tapes

he's the son of ethiopian immigrants and a high-school drop-out but lets just paint anyone on the radio with the same brush as britney spears

the last time i said i liked a black artist someone jumped down my thought about "liking the latest manufactured pop tunes" when actually they again were the children of poor immigrants who got popular on youtube after several unsuccessful albums. what is with that i wonder.

the weeknd was at the same apple event god drat

yeah man i said all that cuz i hate ethiopians who couldnt graduate highschool, not cuz you were being hipster about top40

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Stymie posted:

i forgot that tim started involving celebrity guests in his product announcements because he's such a starfucker and he winds up making the presentation look like a samsung roll-out

only because of the apple watch a marathon runner was able to run a marathon in africa for moms everywhere

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

rad

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

The Management posted:

I still don't know who that is

apple's largest multinational corporation in the world, that big one that's failing. people are panicking because they bought in yesterday and haven't got their promised six figure returns yet

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

not a single apple computer

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i am excited for the universal remote that will only work on my apple tv set-top box

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

it came with a screen why would i need to attach one?

i put useful things in the internet cloud and access them from a desktop or laptop or whatever

been using my mbp since bush 43. it weighs fifty-three potatoes and has a disc drive. it works lightroom and fcp with patience, but today i mostly use it for text. thanks steve

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

if i turn low power mode on will i go from charging every three days to every four or five days

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

so is that a yes or what

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

kinda wish i could get an apple pencil for my ipad mini tbh

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

i doubt they'll expose the ios filesystem or anything like that