Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toady
Jan 12, 2009

you have to get through marco talking about himself to hear siracusa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Shaggar posted:

idk who that marco dude is

for some reason he's a popular apple blogger

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

what kind of rich rear end in a top hat pulls the #1 paid app because he feels bad for blocking tracking code

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

i mean if he wants to found more companies and think that having his name associated with ad blockers would be bad for investment then w/e

he should have just created a startup to make the ad blocker. then pivoted to advertising

on his podcast, he poo poo on ad networks for ruining the web. guess they got to him

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

he said he pulled it due to lack of time, but that making it was little effort. then he said he hated himself for making it, yet he's going to use an ad blocker on his phone. weird guy

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

sweet digital blasphemy wallpaper

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

that free notes app on the $650+ dollar phone

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i was going to laugh at marco telling people if they work hard like him they'll become rich too, but i can't argue with the chorus of randian white dudes he retweeted

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

siracusa had to take time away from his toasters to tell people to stop sending death threats

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Dirk Pitt posted:

I'm pretty sure Marco Arment has an account to forums.somethingawful.com.

I listened to part of ATP on the drive in today. Marco had to cut some Siracusa fact bashing while keeping his lovely screed about the state of computing. total beta.

what was edited out?

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

cutting siracusa's take is a strange thing to do. he's the draw of the show. casey contributes practically nothing, and marco pontificates without experience or research to back it

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

what is the current best iconic representation of a save-to-disk command? And how would you differentiate it from a download icon?

what's a disk? just auto save to the cloud

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

what has happened to this subforum

it had an identity crisis when apple released bigphones

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

stuff leaked all the time when steve was there. ipads, intel macs...people knew the codename for intel os x for years

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

yellow box was openstep for windows. i'm talking about project marklar which leaked in 2002

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bobfather posted:

Actually the bundle method makes it totally possible to do permanent upgrade pricing schemes.

ugh

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

bobfather posted:

So you'd rather just pay full price for an update?

Tapbots did this with Tweetbot 3. Instead of paying full price for TB3, if you bought TB2 you could buy a bundle containing TB2 and TB3 for like 50% off the full price of TB3.

what makes you think i want to pay full price for updates

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

who cares, the system apps are like 150mb tops

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

baseball

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

THC posted:

when ios 7 came out yospos flipped its poo poo over that icon being animated because "lol two clocks"

yospos shifted its running in-joke from apple being unquestioningly flawless to "it's getting androidier". just keeping the comedy fresh around here

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

tell us what was wrong with the lighting

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

each watch was rendered in a featureless gray environment with no hard light sources and with no other objects around, leading to unrealistic-looking reflections on matte surfaces.

are you sure? my understanding is that apple bases on real-world photography (e.g., Peter Belanger)

edit:

Toady fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 21, 2016

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

forming a relationship with the second person in line to the presidency, who sets the legislative agenda, shocking

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GameCube posted:

i'm laughing out loud at the mental gymnastics the Apple Boys must perform in order to continue supporting their favorite telephone manufacturer.

you're not good at this

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

just read http://dtrace.org/blogs/ahl/2016/06/19/apfs-part1/

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

siracusa doesn't do detailed reviews anymore. now he does an increasingly generic weekly tech news podcast with two non-personalities who cover exciting topics like "Ejecting volumes in Windows" and "The difference between Siri and Viv"

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GameCube posted:

i had a 2006 macbook with Random Shutdown Syndrome and took it to an apple certified repair center and the guy still had to mail it back to apple because the fix required more than one part and apple would not let apple certified repair centers do jobs that big for fear of, idk, warranty fraud or something. i was without a computer for my first month of college. should have bought a thinkpad.

that was fixed in a software update

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GameCube posted:

oh i see. you thought i was talking about one of the other Random Shutdown Syndromes which have plagued apple hardware throughout the years. fortunately i placed clever hints in my post which will help you figure out which one i was talking about.

i thought you were talking about the 2006 macbook, which was the same macbook i had, which was fixed by an smc firmware update. it was a short-circuiting heat sensor

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GameCube posted:

lol so that model had two different Random Shutdown Syndromes. amazing apple quality.

suuure it did

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

qirex posted:

I had one of those, it was super annoying until they fixed it and I was kind of shocked that a firmware upgrade actually resolved it

it probably updated the temperature monitoring system to ignore the erratic data

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

were you on The List
           (1,146)

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

swift is great. microsoft should officially port it to windows

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

this is a guy who worships advertising typography

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

ios and macos are good. i take it for granted until i have to use something else

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

i don't know, material looks pretty ugly

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

does android development still use java or did they switch to a real language? swift is open source, after all

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

java or c++ calling java, sounds wonderful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Millstone posted:

Non-nexus devices spotted have you tried not using the incorrect phone

i'll get right on using a phone designed by an anti-privacy megacorp

• Locked thread