Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

here's the write up on this https://www.synack.com/2017/09/08/high-sierras-secure-kernel-extension-loading-is-broken/

tldr: it's a new security feature that's not very good but also not a huge deal provided you don't install weird apps from internet forums

wow, this is a lot sillier than I thought it would be. basically if you can load a kext you can own the system. like you always could. a new security feature that adds extra lockdown doesn't work as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
iOS 7 was a depressing stark white field with sickeningly thin fonts and pointless blur effect. it was really bad. they've been walking back the design to something not awful for a while now. dumping helvetica neue light and transitioning to San Francisco was a big step.

iOS 10 looked great. in 11 it looks like they overdid it a bit, particularly with the silly huge labels.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

carry on then posted:

yeah but if it has eg two hdmi ports, only one of them will actually work. apparently this is entirely a software problem, too

outstanding

works for me. using internal 4K display and 2 external 4K displays.

quote:

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

One display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
Up to two displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
Up to two displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output
Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
VGA, HDMI, and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
back your poo poo up

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I've already paid for crashplan so I'm backing up to that even though it's going away soonish and it's taking for loving ever. I don't know what they did but they clearly don't give a poo poo about my data.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ios 11.0.1 is out I didn't bother readying the release bots just clicked update

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Boiled Water posted:

Leaving Latvia

actually since I assume you touch computers why haven't you left already for somewhere nicer like Greece ?

there's no computers in Greece. they are an olive oil and yogurt-based economy.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my needs, they are being suited. macOS weed catte upgrade was very scary though with the number of time my monitor flickered or showed distorted images.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“Jimmy Carter”" post="“476866362”"]

quote:

The Atlantic posted:
"The thing you have to remember is that this was before the iPhone was introduced and no one knew what the iPhone would do... At the end of the day, there was a chip that they were interested in that they wanted to pay a certain price for and not a nickel more and that price was below our forecasted cost. I couldn't see it. It wasn't one of these things you can make up on volume. And in hindsight, the forecasted cost was wrong and the volume was 100x what anyone thought."

It was the only moment I heard regret slip into Otellini's voice during the several hours of conversations I had with him. "The lesson I took away from that was, while we like to speak with data around here, so many times in my career I've ended up making decisions with my gut, and I should have followed my gut," he said. "My gut told me to say yes."
[/quote]

this is a man who is lying to himself and to you. intel had many chances to get into Apple embedded products after the iPhone was an obvious hit and they blew them all. they could not get their poo poo together enough to get the deal done.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
intel did the world a favor by being so stupid in mobile.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

this is dumb as gently caress

and you don't have a loving clue of what you're talking about, feel free to tell me what is mistagged here you dumb gently caress

pretty much everything.

* song field shouldn't contain the artist name, that's already in the artist field.
* the artist name is "Dick Dale and His Del-Tones".
* the album name shouldn't contain the disc number, there's a field for that.
* the genre should be Surf.

and finally usually the album artist would be "various artists" to appease the iTunes idiotic sorting. but you seem to have a checkbox for that which I've never seen before, so I can't fault you there

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Doc Block posted:

I think apple wanted to go back to infineon or whatever the company that made the original iPhone baseband chips was, which is now owned by intel LOL

they wanted to not give qualcomm a percentage of the price of the final product, which is what their licensing terms demand, and instead just pay for the chip they're buying.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

xnu was always open sourced. they just added the ARM code to the public repo now.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I tried re-encoding a movie from h.264 to h.265 with weede catte. I used Quicktime because it was the only thing I could find that used my MBP's hardware h.265 encoder.

Input: 2.96 GB
Output: 5.4 GB

:downsbravo:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

high sierra plays hvc1 h265 mp4s while handbrake and ffmpeg only create hev1 h265 mp4s
ffmpeg can convert an hev1 h265 mp4 into an hvc1 h265 mov without reencoding, but can't make hvc1 h265 mp4s
the magic command is
code:
ffmpeg -i infile.mp4 -c: copy -tag:v hvc1 outfile.mov
:toot: #codeclife :toot:

I love you

I was literally trying to solve this problem yesterday

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the Touch ID on it is great. the huge touch pad is also great. the touchbar is mostly useless for my purposes and slightly annoying. the keyboard is bad and way too loud. the lack of usb A ports is dumb. 3/5 would not buy again.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“bump_fn”" post="“476979268”"]
has apple ever given a reason their phones use lightning cable ports instead of usb-c
[/quote]

because lightning was created before usb-c? because lightning is stiff enough to mount the entire phone in whereas usb C is not designed for that? because lightning is thinner?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Lysidas posted:

isnt usb-c "apple's gift to the PC industry" in that the signaling protocol (e.g. dynamic selection of which pins are for power and which are for data) is very heavily inspired by lightning?

and yeah it being physically designed to hold up the phone is super useful, not necessarily for individual users, but in that there isnt a male part inside the female end of the port which can break off

heavily influenced is one way of saying it. Apple wanted one connector that unified display port, thunderbolt, USB3, and power. a connector that was reversible, symmetric on both ends, thin, and could be used for everything

meanwhile intel and the USBIF were wanking over how to add USB3 support to the awful existing USB connector types. they came up with stupid poo poo like this:

do you think these morons suddenly grew a brain and figured out how to make a connector that doesn't suck? or did someone hand them a spec and wrote the cable firmware for them and told them "here, make this a standard so that everyone adopts it"?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lightning: Introduced on September 12, 2012 when the iPhone 5 was launched.
usb-c: spec finalized in August 2014

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
wireless charging is slow and dumb and doesn't work on the go.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

out of curiosity, can you just plug two computers together with usb-C and have them share files? like, all my shared folders just pop up on the other person's computer like plugging in a USB drive?

cause that would be a genuinely good feature so i can't imagine any company today, including apple and microsoft, ever implementing it

apple implements target disk mode over usb and thunderbolt. so one of the machines can act as a dumb disk but it has to be in EFI.

the problem with "sharing" files is that it basically requires a network file system to maintain coherence. so it's possible in theory if you could route nfs of smb over the link but in reality it takes a lot of driver work to make it happen for literally something you can already do over Ethernet.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jimmy Carter posted:

IP over Thunderbolt is an extremely good way to shuffle files from one computer to another, and is somehow faster than target disk mode on the exact same computers.

the target disk mode device is in EFI and serving a block device. it's very dumb. IP over thunderbolt is talking to the kernel with a mounted file system and file caches and multitasking and dma.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Millstone posted:

If the industry would have just adopted lightning we would have never gotten in this mess

lightning was never an open standard. the first lightning cables had authentication chips in them before Apple gave up on that.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mad Wack posted:

checking in on my touchbar mac

still good

turn your computer over

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“Lutha Mahtin”" post="“477030213”"]
i’m a little surprised that you actually worked at apple and somehow still believe they would ship iThings with open-standard connectors if given the chance. aside from a couple of ipod shuffles they’ve never done this, and this history (along with the other reasons i mentioned in previous post) makes me think that hmmmmmmm perhaps this is intentional

like i know apple loves to evangelize about “open” standards when it suits them but c’mon
[/quote]

I suppose you would be surprised to learn that we weren't just hunched around a dimly lit table, our fingertips pressed together, laughing at how we're going to screw the customers out of more money with dongles while singing the stonecutters song.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the touch bar is a secure display that can show you things the OS can't fake or access, which is required to make sure your Touch ID purchases aren't being spoofed by malware.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

standard PCs just use TPM for this but I guess an off the shelf $0.50 part that doesn't suck battery or require a screen would have been too simple for you brave genius types in cupertino

lol no. TPM doesn't work if you allow users to install third party apps that aren't secure. you know, like Microsoft word or flash player or other things people install on desktop machines. or drivers for their hardware. and it requires the os and apps to be resistant to local and remote exploits.

but if you trust windows / macos / linux to hold your biometric data and also not to show you it's charging you $1 for a song when in reality your biometric approval is being used to authorize $1000 from Russia, go right ahead.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

Do you trust windows, macos, or linux enough to type in your credit card number when shopping online?

with tokenized cards and biometric identification you don't need to do that, meaning that hopefully I will never need to trust them for it anymore.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

that's cool, now explain replacing the hardware esc key with an empty bezel and a shifted-over soft key with no force feedback

it's very dumb and bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“Comfy Fleece Sweater”" post="“477048117”"]
:negative: They told me it was going to be cool... they had a video...
[/quote]

It isn't. as a vim user I am constantly annoyed by it. they should have left a physical escape key but designers don't use escape apparently.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

They sent out this survey asking for feedback on mice and keyboards and I'm pretty sure they just gave up because the actual page to fill it out died after 3 hours.

here's a picture of PD reading user feedback:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
[quote="“bump_fn”" post="“477051661”"]
how is a british keyboard different from a US english keyboard

and more importantly is it funnier
[/quote]

keys are crooked, yellow

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
https://twitter.com/drbarnard/status/915675532964098049

abandonware author upset that his abandoned app stopped working four years after being abandoned. but Apple threw him under a bus because he only had 5 years to do a 64 bit port and they've been warning about it for a year.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

my fav sa new bug is the one where i dont get an unread count for this thread anymore

the haunting spreads

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

the google thread is cursed too

in awful.app, if I click on "last post" it goes to it, but the default behavior of going to the first unread post doesn't work anymore in this thread and the android thread.

radium :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
gizmodo article, didn’t read.

remember when gizmodo published an article about apple’s “gestapo”? here, let me link you

https://gizmodo.com/5427058/apple-gestapo-how-apple-hunts-down-leaks

we had a good laugh at that one. literally zero percent of that article is true.

and then they stole an iPhone 4 prototype and the author of that article fled the country because he was afraid Apple was going to get him

• Locked thread