Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

triple sulk posted:

the exercise part of the watch is entirely useless if you don't walk or run a lot. the stand detection doesn't loving work correctly either because i've stood for 20 minutes or so while cooking and it alerts 10 minutes before the new hour. you need to actively swing your arms around for the thing to actually understand you're standing.

its not stand detection, it's stand and move around for a minute

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the iphone 6 is good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3AIeOBTN0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl3PlrPq8sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JnWCSyXLC8

cremnob fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 19, 2015

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Triglav posted:

is the "if it's not an iphone, it's not an iphone" tagline supposed to sound stupid or is it an attempt to make iphone the generic term for cellphone/smartphone, like xerox (photocopy), kleenex (tissue), ipad (tablet), etc

its meant to make androuid users feel bad about their purchase and tell them they're using a knock off which is the exact opposite of making it generic

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

stage is being set for nilay to try and come up with reasons that the iphone 6s is only a 7/10 in september

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/623002630793625600

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the anandtech apple watch review is out. it turns out the apple watch is really good

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9381/the-apple-watch-review

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol nilay has a predictable twist on the recent conversation about ads ruining the web. it's safari's fault and not all the ads and scripts

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/20/9002721/the-mobile-web-sucks

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lmao the best part is when he gets taken down cause he has no idea about the technical improvements browsers like safari have made

https://www.webkit.org/blog/3362/introducing-the-webkit-ftl-jit/

cant wait for the gruber post

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

The Management posted:

sounds like someone just got told they're still not getting early review units

katie cotton would have punished him for the hatchet job on the apple watch and this but the "new apple" probably wont. apple realizes it doesnt really matter what reviewers write cause more than any other company, they own the relationship with customers more than anyone and there arent any gatekeepers between them

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

really hope apple promotes ad blockers on the app store tho. either way it will disproportionately hurt the verge's bottom line cause their audience is tech dweebs.

everyone lets their guard down cause of timb's southern gentleman public persona with that southern drawl, but really he's a shark. u think tim ended the thermonuclear war?? no he's stepped it up and is going for the jugular without a peep from the dumb tech nerd outcry about patent lawsuits

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

timb is salting the earth with one hand and offering publishers a carrot in the other

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

webkit guy retweeted me :cool:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

how many companies will timb ruthlessly slay?

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

hmmm

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

its happening :woop:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

what about apple products with compaq quality levels

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Apple Hires Auto Industry Manufacturing Veteran
Hiring of Doug Betts may be signal that efforts to develop electric car may be gaining ground

Apple Inc. has hired one of the auto industry’s veteran manufacturing executives, a signal that its efforts to develop an electric car could be gaining ground.

Doug Betts, who led global quality at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV until last year, is now working for the Cupertino, Calif.-based electronics giant but declined to comment on the position when reached Monday. Mr. Betts’ LinkedIn profile says he joined Apple in July and describes his title as “Operations - Apple Inc.” with a location in the San Francisco Bay Area but no further specifics.

Apple declined to comment on the new hire.

Along with Mr. Betts, whose expertise points to a desire to know how to build a car, Apple recently recruited one of the leading autonomous-vehicle researchers in Europe and is building a team to work on those systems.

Apple, with nearly $200 billion in cash reserves, has joined Google Inc. and other nontraditional auto companies in exploring ways to make systems for vehicles or build entire cars that increasingly rely on sophisticated software systems to operate.

The interest of tech companies in the auto industry has sparked a race between Silicon Valley and traditional auto hubs, including Frankfurt and Detroit, to secure the talent and resources necessary to compete in a transformed auto industry.

Car-sharing service Uber Technologies Inc. poached 40 researchers from a Carnegie Mellon University program that competed with a range of auto companies and tech companies. Apple earlier in the year settled a lawsuit filed by battery maker A123 Systems claiming the Cupertino company attempted to use A123 employees to start a battery operation.

More than 17 million light vehicles are expected to be sold in the U.S. this year and about 85 million are sold annually around the world. Companies increasingly see cars as a mobile device on wheels, with billions of dollars in new revenue potential.

Apple has hired hundreds of people to work on an electric-car project code-named “Titan.” Because Apple hasn’t publicly acknowledged the work, it is difficult to gauge how serious its plans are for building an electric car.

Apple has targeted employees at Tesla to fill out its team working on the car, according to people familiar with the matter. On a call with analysts in May, Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk said he hoped that Apple would get into the car business but noted that Tesla had recruited five times as many employees from Apple as Apple had poached from Tesla in the previous 12 months.

Earlier this year, Apple hired Paul Furgale a well-regarded autonomous vehicle researcher in Switzerland, and has begun recruiting other robotics and machine vision experts to work on a confidential project.

Mr. Furgale had been deputy director of the Autonomous Systems Lab at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, or ETH. Mr. Furgale previously had led a European Commission project called V-Charge that sought to develop self-parking vehicle technology.

He didn’t respond to phone and email messages for comment. A member of the lab in Switzerland confirmed that he left the institute to work for Apple but didn’t have a contact number for him.

Mr. Furgale has begun recruiting students and researchers to work with him. Apple has hired a graduate student studying at the University of Michigan and has quietly recruited others.

Apple CEO Tim Cook appointed Steve Zadesky to lead the group, a veteran product designer and former Ford Motor Co. engineer. Mr. Zadesky was given permission to create a 1,000-person team and recruit employees from other parts of Apple, people familiar with the matter said.

Mr. Betts could be the first major automotive executive to join Apple with experience leveled more at the manufacturing side of the business.

For nearly two decades, he has worked in product quality and manufacturing at an auto company, first as a general manager at Toyota Motor Corp. and later as a vice president at Nissan Motor Co. and Chrysler Group LLC, now FCA US LLC.

In 2009, when Fiat SpA took over Chrysler, CEO Sergio Marchionne tapped Mr. Betts to lead the company’s quality turnaround, giving him far-reaching authority over the company’s brands and even the final say on key production launches.

Mr. Betts abruptly left Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV last year to pursue other interests. The move came less than a day after the car maker’s brands ranked poorly in an influential reliability study.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob posted:

what about apple products with compaq quality levels

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

hope it kills the verge

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yea lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

chrome is trash

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

its another blow out quarter. good work timb

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

iphone units grew 35% year over year

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

revenue was up 33% year over year and eps up 45% year over year

just another reminder that u can buy AAPL for a steal at a P/E of 15~ which is growing faster than google (P/E of 35 lol) on the top and bottom line

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

relying on the market reaction to earnings to determine if its good or bad news is dumb but its funny to watch journalists do it every time when deciding what the headline should be lol

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Mr. Cook said the company had the highest rate of switchers from Android phones ever during the quarter. “The gap is widening between us and our competitors,” he said.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

LOL. nilay has been trying to bolster the case against the iVerge meme for a while now. i kinda suspected he was trying to bait gruber into taking him down cause that would be the ultimate validation that the verge isnt in the tank for apple. this confirms it

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

macrumors comment thats upvoted lol

quote:

Who is this targeted to? Who is to be impressed by this campaign? That is, who is gullible enough to see this and be convinced of its message? What reaction could this muster other than outright laughter?

Apple's new design language can be summed up by comparing it to dressing a perfectly grilled Nathan's frankfurter with ketchup. Think about it.

It's regrettable that Jony Ive holds any sway over design. The mere fact that he is in any way responsible in conspiring any facet of design means Apple will have one less sale: Me. And if he keeps up with the magical shrinking iPhone he'll further drive people away from iPhones to something far superior like Samsung phones with 3 gigs of RAM, an Exynos 7420 octa-core, and a massive battery, all in a light-as-a-feather glass and metal body.

Just what the hell has Ive done recently? The design set by iOS 7 can only be described as a design holocaust. The flattening of UI elements into generic and unadorned shapes and the reliance on vivid Fisher Price colors is the mark of a design apostate. The trick to great UI design? Ornament that sucker into oblivion. Or rather obviousness. I write all of this with care and concern for a company I greatly admire but have doubts about when I see Microsoft, Google, and Samsung simply outshining and outclassing Apple in nearly every front. By having Jony Ive as the arbiter of taste at Apple we can be assured that iPhones will continue to embody the thinner-at-the-cost-of-battery-life design for many years to come. Not to mention the complete**** that is the Apple Watch. When you consider the new Macbook and Apple Music, this new Apple has confirmed what analysts and tech pundits have known all along: at the new Apple, there could be nothing new nor clever under the sun. The design sensibilities fostered under the Jobs regime has not endured well at Tim Cook's Apple.

All Apple had to do was outfit the MacBook Air with a Retina display and what did they give us instead? A wholly new architected piece of machinery that is about as feature complete as an iPad. Whoever asked for such a contraption? Not me. Not anyone I know. As for the iPhone, I can't believe what they've done with it. Thinness is not a feature. A phone's thinness has no direct correlation to the ease of one-handed use. All Ive and his team had to do was take the iPhone 4 and stick in a five-inch display and call it a day.

I tell you my brothers and sisters the Apple orchard is quickly becoming the Mobro 4000, doomed to drift endlessly in the economic sea as a mass of garbage that no one wants. The thinner they make the iPhone the more they are making me want to take a pilgrimage to a grander place of Androids and superior Korean design ingenuity.

Apple needs a savior more than ever to save it from the imminent and unavoidable disaster. Nothing quite like iPhone, indeed.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

i really want to understand the pathology of the macrumors commenters. how did they get that way? they're clearly "apple fans" but they p. much post like trolls and apple haters (and they've been registered on the site for years so they arent actual trolls)

macdailynews is where the rush limbaugh apple fans congregate but thats also cause whoever runs macdailynews is also a rush limbaugh conservative

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Apple surprised Swift by almost immediately changing its plan not to compensate artists during the trial period of its new streaming service. Says Swift, “Apple treated me like I was a voice of a creative community that they actually cared about,” she says. “And I found it really ironic that the multi-billion-dollar company reacted to criticism with humility, and the start-up with no cash flow reacted to criticism like a corporate machine.”

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Linguica posted:

apple music status: downloaded a playlist yesterday and started listening to it in the car

in the car today, went to continue playing it, and discovered that apple music had thoughtfully deleted all the songs in the playlist (including the one i had paused on) and left the playlist as an empty husk to taunt me

amazing, magical

sounds like user error. apple music works great for me

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

ok just listened to dr. dre's album and its good

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

everyone is still on trial the 2 mil are ppl on family plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

That’s partly because of the decade-plus tease of “Detox,” the greatest example of performance anxiety in hip-hop history. He first announced it as his third album in 2002; only a week ago did he finally admit defeat, saying it would never be released.

“I didn’t like it,” he conceded during his radio show on Beats 1, the Apple Music station. “I don’t think I did a good enough job.” (Last year, Apple bought Beats Electronics, of which Dr. Dre was one of the principals. He subsequently bragged that he was “the first billionaire in hip-hop.”)

told u detox was never gonna happen

• Locked thread