Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

God bless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

AAPL earnings today will offset the damage IBM is doing to the DOW, and push the market to record highs probably.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Perplx posted:

ad blocking will just lead to ads being embedded in domain of the page you are on

right now you goto theverge.com and load like 15 javascript files from 15 different domains

after ad blocking becomes too popular google etc will make a "cloud acceleration service" or a "website asset pipeliner" or some poo poo that will basically be a reverse web proxy

so theverge.com will actually be hosted by google and will serve out a single /scripts.js with theverges scripts and all 3rd party scripts concatenated

its going to be advertised as a speed up service at first but really its going to be the only way to make money because it bypasses all adblockers

simply adblock theverge.com, easy

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

its cool when Steve does it, not so cool when its ballmer or larry ellison

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i think spotify radio outright ignores when you thumbs down a song

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

these ads look cool but the problem is they are "reminder advertising" as opposed to "explain what it is advertising"

i guess that's fine cause the industry over all is pretty mature and anyone with an iPhone who's tapped the music icon should have an idea of what it is

its apple music obviously you freaking idiot
whats to explain

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

hmmm looks cool, but this doesn't really say anything about the product

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

theres even that thing where children can ask their parents to buy them poo poo on trhe app store without making eye contact with them right?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

anyone else publishing on Apple News?
I put our RSS feeds into it, and it updates really infrequently, and when it finally does it picks up like 2 new articles when a bunch have been posted. Like it doesn't even match our feed.

e: i also changed the name of one of our section headers like 2 days ago, and it hasn't taken effect...

Baxate fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 14, 2015

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

wth is apple news?

its a fantastic new feature coming in iOS 9

Basically it lets publishers syndicate their content to iOS without having to make an app.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

ah. that's what I need. more content to shove into my brand hole.

please don't fix the slow as poo poo os, give me more ads. thanks apple.

not sure where you get the idea that news articles = ADS

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shaggar posted:

what news agency do u work for?

a newspaper, and i'm not gonna sit here and tell you that newspapers don't have ads, but we have legit journalists here
its not like we're not putting our classifieds or full page ads into apple news

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Triglav posted:

i swapped most my holdings for indexes

now i own everything :mmmhmm:

same :grin:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Stux posted:

was using an andorid device earlier and the back button on one app gave a pop up asking i fi wanted to clsoe the app and then when i said yes it dumped me to the home screen and not even the page iwa s on before i opened the app why do people put up wthis

because it cost them less money at the t-mobile store

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

safari content blocker gonna be so good

i have the ios9 beta, how do i get the adblockers??

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

cremnob posted:

LOL the Dow fell over 1000 points the first few mins of trading. my Apple order at 95 went through

are you kidding me??
its already back to 105!!!!

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

what are you people putting on you're phones?
i get all my music streamed to me via apple music and i'm not using like any of my storage

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

my time is worthless let me jump through some bullshit hoops to get a lil' extra cloud storage

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

maniacdevnull posted:

literally the dumbest naming convention and this is at a company that used to make something called a Centro 662AV or some poo poo

its really not that hard to figure out

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Necc0 posted:

apple is streaming the sept 9th event to windows 10 users :tinfoil:

is that win10 only, or can i watch it on my work computer?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Perplx posted:

its for microsoft edge because it support the http live streaming

desktop chrome and ie do not support http live streaming, but you could always use vlc on windows if you could find the url

scroogled again...

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

interesting thing: the Apple TV reports no local storage. so all games must use iCloud for save game files and stuff. which seems good since more games will have cloud saves as a result.

i really want to see a teardown of the  TV. what the gently caress makes it 11 mm taller? a heat sync maybe?

there's a pic of the back of it on apple.com and there's a usb-c in the center above the other connectors. idk why but maybe that means the case needed to be taller??

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Soldier of Fortran posted:

same, except my iphone 5

the new transit stuff in apple maps is great, the ui is a ton better than google maps. i don't like how the app switcher is reversed but i'll get used to it.

i like safari's new 'save this page as a pdf' feature.

i'm spending a weekend in chicago next month and i'm seriously disappointed that chicago, the 3rd largest city in america, won't be supported out of the gate.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Juan Berenguer posted:

Uh, I'm looking at transit in Chicago right now

Hmm... I just checked it and it's only giving me a bus route. they don't have the L or the Metra it seems...

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

is there a joke here? what the hell

just realized the mobile version of the twitter page doesn't animate the gif or whatev

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

refurb ipads air 2 are $419 :toot:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i use icloud, friend

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

how do i get the ios9 gm candidate?

i have the public beta on my phone, and it keeps telling me my available update is the 9.1 beta even though i deleted the beta profile...

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ruby idiot railed posted:

nah it stops checking the beta channel even while on the public beta if you remove the profile and restart

then you still have to get the gm candidate from somewhere since that's not general available yet which I assume hes gonna have to do since he's on the public beta i.e. without dev account hookups

ya
I just installed the public beta to check out Apple News because I work for a news publication

I'll just wait until next week, whatever.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

drat... el capitan just owned my 2012 Macbook Air

installed the GM and it crashed during install
now my Mac won't boot, and recovery mode crashes too...

Tim :argh:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

more like el crappo

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i managed to do this happen

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

ios9 comes out tomorrow, and apple news still doesn't update our publications articles correctly, and the non-rss apple news format still isn't available to people who aren't espn or the new york times

maybe it's fixed in the gm, but idk seems unlikely

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

did they fix third party keyboars yet?

if by fix you mean remotely detonating you're phone then yes

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Tim, you've done it again

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

the verge actually loads pretty quick in safari now without all the ads

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

crystal seems to work fine for adblocking. it's cool how much faster pages load tho.

I'm falling in love with the mobile web all over again.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

if this is what you're talking about

http://www.marco.org/2013/06/06/vesper

then sorry nothing there makes me mad. I like gruber but didn't buy vesper and

ya idk i guess it takes balls to release yet another note taking app to an app store filled to the brim with them when the Apple Notes app is perfectly needs suiting

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

note taking apps are like the hello worlds of the 21st century imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

just slap an os provided text box widget into a container, and dump the output to a txt file.

bam. done. that'll be $4.99 USD please.

• Locked thread