Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it a joke you loving morons

also, it's yospos' favourite tech reporter sarah jeong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

oh wow. oh wow. oh wow

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cremnob posted:

thats a photoshop idiot bitch

see the problem is, you can't assume that anymore, because apple has been releasing samsung tier bullshit for a while now.

this is how badly they've tarnished their brand, not at this distance your honour, applies in the reverse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why did they release a product that requires accessories to be usable?

because steve is dead

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

carry on then posted:

you forgot apple_pencil_charging.jpg

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

steve was an rear end in a top hat, but he was the rear end in a top hat apple needed to keep from doing poo poo like this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'd rather have a phone that gets good battery life

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

guys! guys! apple's totally gonna release another 4" phone!

... in march?

riiiight

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

actually, it's completely believable now that they've gone full samsung and started spamming out products for every theoretical market, why not give up on yearly release cycles too?

just shove that poo poo out the door whenever, see what sticks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

me too, if only because no one makes a phone with a 4" screen that isn't a POS poorphone

also my 5s has long since hit that point in the ios upgrade cycle where basic features no longer function

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

my 5s still works great op. your difficulties are likely due to improper handling and care. nothing to do with software updates

my 5s is in pristine condition with nary so much as a scratch on it. but lol if you think smacking a phone around will break activesync push mail, which has been broken on my exchange account since ios9

also sometimes just doesn't receive calls or check for voicemail until you manually open the dialer. poo poo be hosed yo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

power botton posted:

lmao @ syncing work email to your phone, whether or not its paid for by the company.

well, it's also my company, so i have some interest in getting it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

someone needs to find ives make him stop

these are like, 1st-year-design-student-concept level bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cook: You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when...

Ives: Is this the test now?

Cook: Yes. You're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a...

Ives: What one?

Cook: What?

Ives: What desert?

Cook: Doesn't make any difference what desert... its completely hypothetical.

Ives: But how come I'd be there?

Cook: Maybe you're fed up, maybe you want to be by yourself...who knows. So you look down and see a mouse. It's crawling toward you...

Ives: A mouse. What's that?

Cook: Know what a touchpad is?

Ives: Of course.

Cook: Same thing.

Ives: I never seen a mouse.

Ives: But I understand what you mean.

Cook: You reach down and flip the mouse over on its back, Ives.

Ives: You make up these questions, Mr. Cook, or do they write 'em down for you?

Cook: The mouse lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to charge itself. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping.

Ives: Whatya means, I'm not helping?

Cook: I mean you're not helping! Why is that, Ives?

Cook: They're just questions, Ives. In answer to your query, they're written down for me. It's a test designed to provoke an emotional response.

Cook: Shall we continue?

Cook: Describe in single words. Only the good things that come to your mind. About Steve Jobs.

Ives: Steve Jobs?.. I'll tell you about Steve Jobs.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apple solution to bad design: you don't actually need to use it, just go for a walk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i have the mx master. it's v. good and the battery lasts weeks. if for some reason i need to use it while it's charging, the cable plugs in the front and it's still usable as a mouse.

one day perhaps apple can hope to achieve this level of design and functionality

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i use objectively the best keyboard apple ever made. the apple extended keyboard II

mechanical bitches

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Stymie was right

ipad is dying?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Apple’s first ever battery iPhone case has generated a range of reactions and emotions. Some people simply can’t get over the hump.

I caught up with Apple CEO Tim Cook, who was in town to participate in an Hour of Code event, to take his temperature on the $99 iPhone 6 and 6s case, with the noticeable battery pack hump on its back.

We asked Cook if he is excited about the hump.

“You know, I probably wouldn’t call it ‘the hump,'” said Cook, who added he was aware of the comments surrounding the Smart Battery Case.

“As you probably know from being a user of this now,” said Cook as he grabbed my iPhone 6, which was sporting the new case, “one of the real insights here is, have you ever used other cases and tried to get them on?”

Cook was pointing out the issue with cases, like those from Mophie, that are so rigid it takes considerable strength and patience to put them on and take them off.

“If you make this solid all the way across,” said Cook, indicating the spots where the Apple case’s embedded battery stops and you just have the soft fluoroelastomer casing, “in order to get it on, you’d find it very difficult to get it on and off.”

“So the guys had this great insight to put the bend in along with making it a smart case,” Cook explained.

Some also see the introduction of an Apple battery case as an admission that battery life on the iPhone 6 and 6s isn’t all it should be.

Cook, though, said that “if you’re charging your phone every day, you probably don’t need this at all. But if you’re out hiking and you go on overnight trips… it’s kind of nice to have.”

Apple’s VP of software engineering Cheryl Thomas, who was also at the event and had been listening to Cook's description of Smart Battery Case usage scenarios, then chimed in. “When you need it, you need it.”

Cook laughed and agreed, “When you need it, you need it. That’s right.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

why would anyone want to hurt anyone else?

because jonny ives made a battery case with a bump on the back

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if only he made a phone that owns, then you wouldn't need a battery case

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

welcum to the social

:69snypa:

hold on, i'll squirt you a file

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fabricated posted:

You didn't quote more stuff

he's right of course

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

http://gizmodo.com/everything-apple-introduced-this-year-kinda-sucked-1749308570

gizmodo droppin bombs

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

carry on then posted:

"the surface book is cooler" oh my god i'm dying

yeah, that kinda pushed the envelope a bit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i too would not be surprised to see apple orphan yet another one of their proprietary connectors and its attendant hardware ecosystem. they've been doing it pretty reliably for about 20 years now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

usb-c is cool and I love having it on my Microsoft Lumia 950

how is that shiz anyway? the hardware demos i saw a couple months ago were stuttery in a way winpho never was before. idk if it was win10 or the 808(lol) cpu

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Last Chance posted:

probably referring to the messy firewire/thunderbolt/displayport/dvi/hdmi/switcheroos over the years

lol, apple's been doing this a lot longer than that

Beeftweeter posted:

don't forget ADB and nuBus and a bunch of other poo poo

The Management posted:

company making computers for 40 years has gone through several generations of connectors

yes, all of which they created themselves when other standards existed that did the same job, then ditched and changed to the standard implementation orphaning any products based around their proprietary poo poo. they do it like clockwork

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

THC posted:

god what a loving crybaby

who's :qq:ing? i'm just saying they do it, regularly

cremnob posted:

leave yospos

lol. you should be rubbing yourself raw over the prospect of apple selling the same accessories all over again with a new plug

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they make more than just mbps.

if you really want to make a big deal about denying a provable fact, go for it, maybe it'll help you sleep at night. but apple has left a trail of dead proprietary connectors behind them like blown roses since the mid-80s, so them doing it again is not surprising or even contentious.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

apple proprietary connectors of the last 30 years:
adb
the old big ADC
30-pin
lightning

things people claimed are apple proprietary but never were
those big vga connectors
scsi
firewire
displayport/thunderbolt
mini displayport
mini dvi
usb [seriously some people were mad that apple didn't go ps/2 with the imac]

off the top of my head you're missing at least three other apple specific display connectors* (90s era) and apple serial (mini-8)

*i don't know if they were apple only, but i've never seen the 35 pin rectangular block one** on anything else, and there was an hdmi-looking thing on the og powerbook that i've never seen anywhere else

**nm, it's scsi, HDI30, not display

neonbregna posted:

you can stay infernal machines I think your cute

:tipshat:

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 31, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

and this is worse than having a vga port on your laptop in 2015 because...?

i never said it was

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

looks like some of the pizza-box era sparcs had mini-8. i didn't know that.

there's aaui, but there's also the middle connector here:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

what was the standard Apple should have used instead of ADB because PS/2 wasn't even out by then

idk, adb was actually pretty great for peripherals since it supported chaining. ofc they could have just used serial like everyone else, but whatever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so what is it now, post-steve? ibm consumer electronics?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Linguica posted:

this cant be right can it

any time you think this, just remember, you can buy an optional accessory that will allow you to do what the device should have done out of the box.

thanks timb.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

see, timb realized there were no new worlds for apple to conquer, with steve dead their vision, taste, and innovative spirit were dead too. so he rightly turned to their final frontier for growth, hobbling existing products to drive high-margin accessory sales.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

neonbregna posted:

what first world country doesn't have multiple apple stores in 30 miles

there aren't any. but some of these folks live in new zealand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

kalstrams posted:

most of western and northern europe, surprisingly enough

he said first world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol @ multi user ios

• Locked thread