Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

it's kind of bad. the selection of music isn't the problem but the UX is loving atrocious

yah it sucks just as bad if not worse than spotify. idgi i thought browing music to listen to was a sovled problem but i guess if i was getting paid 180k to work on it id make it complicate too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
im probably not going to cancel it bc idgaf about 15 a month or whatever and i didnt really love spotify but man the ux sucks rear end. and there is still no way afaik to have recently played songs show up on any playlist in itunes

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
her twitter sucked rear end and she seemed pretty insufferable tbh

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

my iphone 5 is almost in perfect condition [...] bottom corner cracked a bit [...] on the screen

wow sounds like its basically brand new

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
why cant i make a playlist on apple music and then play it on my phone? why doesnt apple music add songs ive played to the recently played playlist in itunes? why does adding a playlist only work if i click the + button (with no tooltip or otherdescription) but not when i click 'add to playlist' via the context menu? how the gently caress is this interface even worse than spotify in alkost every way imaginable

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Linguica posted:

All three free months of Apple Music has done is convince me I should probably just pay for Spotify

yes as much as the playlists are cool the fact that I can't start listening to them on my PC then get in the truck and have zero playlists kind of ruins it. At least Spotify was consistent between devices. The Spotify playlists kind of suck but my biggest gripe is I couldn't just browse a list of bands and you can't do that in Apple Music anyway so maybe time to re-up my Spotify premium account

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

34 followers

man i wish

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

appleapis

mmm pies

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
thread got stymied so hard. you should be embarassed, as should whoever designed the apple music interface, and as i should be for continuing to pay for it. the playlists are killer but thats literally the only feature i use. beats radio sucks rear end theres already plenty of top40 stations

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

LmaoTheKid posted:

yep it's so loving bad. worse than Spotify which is really bad to begin with

its almost unimaginable as to how they even made it worse than spotify. pc itunes had a better interface like 10 years ago

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
herse a pro tip: dont ever leave anythign in your car ever

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
apple music is literally buffering and this is not something i have had happene with any other program for years. like my music plays for 10 seconds then pauseses and skips. i'm on a desktop connected with ethernet. what the gently caress tim

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

this is the sloppiest Apple blowjob I have ever read and intel will crush them

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dodoman posted:

even for normal people they're pretty bad

Yeah I have no problem if you want to believe that apple will somehow eventually stay competitive with intel to some extent (on mobile only) since intel is so far behind on mobile compared to their desktop and server chips, but to pretend that amd is somehow key to this as more than a husk of a company with an x86 license is hilarious. amd is basically 1 or 2 bad quarters away from going concern warnings on their financials and hasnt made a competitive chip in a decade

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Michael F. Assbender

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

they must be getting some unreal tax benefits from the israeli government

either that or their executives are insane zionist fanatics

or both i guess

or they were just born before like 1980 ish and so the concept just makes sense to them. personally i think we should have just given florida to all of the jews but there ar eprobably some religoious reasons that wouldnt be acceptable

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Snapchat A Titty posted:

the single highest cause of death in the entire mediterranean is getting executed in public by the idf

good, maybe those idiots should have tried worshipping the right god

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

lmao, do you people actually believe this?

more Syrian died in the last year at the hands of other muslims than the number of palestinians killed in the entire history of their conflict with Israel.

lomarf snype

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
credit card fees dont come out of the waiters tips when you laeve them on a card, but they generally are included on the w-2 whereas cash tips have to rely on being declared (although some states require a baseline of 10% of cash sales to be declared unless overidden by a manager). so yeah its more about taxes than anything. i used to prefer getting credit card tips so the restaraunt would just give me cash at the end of my shift and i wouldnt have to make change or w/e

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
apple watch cant melt steel bands

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

its basic evopsych, my keen alpha male brain automatically rejects mates into which i cannot sow my potent seeds
*sows potent seed into a wad of kleenex while watching prepubescent anime girls*

prepubescent? shes actually a 600 year old which in the body of a 9 year old, get your facts straight

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Activate the cremnob signal

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
he is absolutely right though. They pay what is owed and they have no further obligations beyond that, whether legal or ethical. the government is not a charity, they set the rules and take what they want. whether you personally feel they should pay higher taxes is another issue but it's your problem not tims

one interesting thing is that there is already a mechanism established to prevent corporations from acquiring huge cash hoards called the accumulated earnings tax. however it is not applied to publicly held companies due to the fact that they don't really accrue benefits just for one person.the us has a really weird system of corporate taxation

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
he is calling it political crap because that's what it is. "sophisticated scheme" is juat a politically charged way of saying "doing taxes legally like every other company" but people cry about it because they think it should be more

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

"sophisticated scheme to avoid taxes" is a perfectly neutral and factual descriptor.

lomarf is a perfectly neutral and factual way of describing my reaction to this post

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Pinterest Mom posted:

:shrug:

i wouldn't think twice of saying I crossed a state line to avoid sales taxes. that would be an unsophisticated scheme to avoid taxes.

Apple structuring its company specifically to minimise tax exposure is a sophisticated scheme to avoid taxes.

I agree but "sophisticated tax planning" is a more neutral way of saying that since "tax avoidance scheme" is pretty obviously trying to appeal to people who don't know the difference between tax avoidance and evasion and "scheme" further implies that this hasn't been legal, run of the mill, established tax planning for multinationals for years

Also technically you didn't avoid state taxes you evaded them unless you paid use tax. Which I'm sure everyone here does on their out of state purchases

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
yeah the 2 situations are basically that investors would bitch bc they would get lower returns or everyone else would bitch bc their apple products would cost more

im honestly not sold on the idea of a corporate income tax anyway, i think the earnings should be distributed and the shareholders should be responsible since they ultimately benefit. but, the earnings will not be distributed under the current system for several reasons including the fact of double taxation on both the income by the corporation and the dividend by the shareholder, the fact that it can't be brought back to the us without being recognized as income.

the system as is favors retaining funds verses distributing them and favors debt over equity in many cases since interest is tax deductible. which is why apple and other companies have spent the last few years borrowing money to pay for dividends or stock buy backs instead of using their own cash hoards and incurring taxes.

it is kind of funny looking at apples market cap and realizing that its bascially a third cash. also remember that they are only deferring payment on these taxes, not permanently avoiding them

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

i actually kind of hate this attitude. it's kind of like saying, it is the legal right of every individual and corporation to emit as much CO2 as they need to do business. yeah, it is their legal right, but that does not make it ethical. can't companies make financial and tax decisions because they are ethical the same way they make environmental ones? tim cook has said "if you don't want us doing green stuff, get out of the stock." he could just as well say "if you want a tax avoider, get out of the stock."

however, paying 40% on an iPhone with chips from Japan, manufactured in China and then sold in Germany is crazy.

no this analogy doesn't hold up at all. it has nothing to do with ethics and can't be compared to willingly destroying the environment.

calling someone a tax avoider is a really stupid term. it's proper financial decision making for me to deduct my mortgage interest, state income taxes, property taxes, etc which the government explicitly allows me to do, and if I instead for some reason just claimed the standard deduction it doesn't mean I am superior morally or ethically it just means I'm bad with money and as a result have overpaid

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

what incentive does apple have to lose almost half of its overseas money by repatriation? they can get loans at like 2% interest rates and just keep that money overseas to deal with expenses there and wait for the tax code to be fixed. People shouldn't get mad at Apple and Buffet for paying exactly what they are required to pay, they are symptoms of a problem of a lovely tax code that needs to be updated to actually reflect how the modern economy works. I don't think morals can really be applied to tax burdens and stuff

yep and that's pretty much what Tim Cook is saying, it's political crap to attack them for following the rules when the governments responsibility is to set and enforce those rules. Of course they have better things to do like try to repeal obamacare for 70th time

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

yeah corps aren't subject to notions of human morality but they also don't need to be defended by fanboys against political attacks as though their human feelings are hurt. apple is a convenient example of a large company that pays less US tax than joe voter might consider fair, and politicians using them as an example to advocate for corporate tax reform is perfectly valid since any eventual law changes would be applied equally to their fellow multinationals.

hardly a fanboy I'm just pointing out that Tim Cook happens to be correct about how retarded the us corporate tax code is and if anything he didn't go far enough in his criticism.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

what'd they do? I love those guys

the sales rep in my area is cute :3

What's his name?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
TC should have asked all those congresspeople how much extra taxes they pay beyond what is required, since they have implied that is patriotic behavior

but yeah i watched a bit of that 60 minutes and the camera part aws cool. it also makes me thing being an engineer would be really boring. jonny ive is weird

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
apple music still sucks rear end. when i favorite a song it doesnt show up anywhere unless i download it and have it in my library so what is the point of favoriting anything if i can't go back and listen to it later?
also the recently played feature doesn't include any songs listened to via streaming, you ahve to download songs and play them from your library to have them show up

playlists on my phone and my pc are completely different and don't carry over
'my music' on my phone and pc are comlpetely different and don't carry over

this software is real bad. im glad that they are spending all their money trying to support their stock price by taking on massive debt to fund buybacks and dividends instead of giving a poo poo about the products

they also need better menus than 'for you' and 'new' since the way the navigation works you end up playing an album in one of those tabs most of the time it would be nice not to have to go like 10 menus deep to get to an album

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

works perfect for me. are they even signed into the same account you cretin

oh look this broken record again

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

The software is bad.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Stux posted:

works for me with no issues OP sounds like you're loving idiot dumb and bad and should maybe use something more suiting your needs for example a garbage bag or tire fire.

this is needlessly rude. its ok to say you like apple without trying to justify their bad software decisions :wave:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Larry Parrish posted:

The Office of Personnel Management already lost enough personal info for a security clearance, like 3 years worth of references and past addresses and stuff, on top of my full finger and palm prints, so I'm that one insanely edge case where I don't care about biometric security because everything besides my retina and dickprint has been stolen. FTW.

also same

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

emoji posted:

They should invest in making their software not a piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I bought a rMBP like a year or two ago for my dad but had to return it bc none of the browsers could use flash or silver light without the computer turning up the fans so loud I thought it was going to take off

it's almost like the software is...bad

• Locked thread