Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

triple sulk posted:

The Pope is visiting New York and Philadelphia next week, and UPS is halting deliveries in certain regions of the two cities. The delivery halt runs from Thursday, September 24th through Saturday, September 26th. Since the next day is a Sunday, package deliveries won't take place in the affected areas until Monday, September 28th. UPS is implementing this plan as a security precaution.

lmao. owned by the pope. papal ownage. the holiest of ownage.

lol r u loving kidding

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Penguissimo posted:

security aside, the city apparently plans to shut down huge swaths of the transportation network and has no plan to deal with the logistical clusterfuck that will inevitably result so it's possible the trucks just wouldn't be able to get where they needed to go anyway

lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

qirex posted:

I am convinced that in another year or so every forward thinking man will be wearing a dumb pleather hot topic stud bracelet with an ill-fitting blazer

finally doxxed as johnny ive

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Kenny Logins posted:

it was never cool to jailbreak anything

what about el chapo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
where's the taco emoji

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Unable to connect to iCloud Music Library.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol f ur phone doesn't have a visible erection

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

holy poo poo is this real?

someone tl;dr the apple thing for me cause I missed it.

apple is dead

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

were the iHearingAids real?

no they're iHairDryers

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

atomicthumbs posted:

five hours at a time

oh my god i missed this

even loving better lmao

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
did they make even the most remote argument for why they pulled the headphone port?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

what are the specs on the new mac books ?

ahaha you're cute

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
I told Johnny to remove the headphone port .. he actually did the absolute madman
hahahaha!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
ok but did apple really brag about having stereo audio out

on a cell phone

you guys must have made that up that can't be a talking point

apple must know what stereo audio is and how it works right

right

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ok theres been a lot of whining itt and elsewhere about the headphone jack removal

there are three categories of headphone users

1 - rubes
2 - "audiophiles" / ppl who like high-end audio
3 - people attached to their current wired earbuds

for group 1, wireless earbuds are preferable to wired earbuds for all sorts of reasons - formfactor, etc. these people already listen to compressed audio so the quality degradation from going wireless doesn't matter.

for group 2, where i sit - lightning headphones are a lot better and eliminating the headphone jack on the iphone to speed the conversion is real nice. getting inline/dac amps means no more awkwardly carrying a separate dac/amp taped to your phone. high-end headphones that are actually portable are now possible, look at the crazy poo poo audeze is already turning out. this type of device can't exist without the lightning jack.

for group 3, if you are really that attached to what you have just use the loving adapter, its not that hard and if you leave it on the headphone cable youll forget about it pretty quickly

source your quotes

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
so is IYG melting down or wholeheartedly embracing this bullshit

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sniep posted:

that's weird, the website says otherwise..

those don't come with the phone, those are the $160 bluetooth ones. the phone comes with a pair of earbuds that only have a lightning plug, which no mac product has a female port for

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
can't wait for a tear down that demonstrates there's room for a headphone jack anyway

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sniep posted:

i dont have a goat in the fight i already have BT headphones but i didnt catch that the cool new hotness pods were addon

how long does the battery last on them cause apple claims they're "industry leading" with five hours

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

look at this poo poo

these are planar magnetic earbuds. by definition you need plenty of power to drive a planar magnetic device. the only reason this combination works at all is because thanks to the lightning jack it has an inline dac/amp/dsp. it comes with an app w/ a 10-band EQ

bow down bitches

cool headphones that drain my battery life even more

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oh what

i thought "courage" was a joke itt

did they really say courage

hahahahahahahaha

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
courage

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is "lightning" just the faux apple proprietary of something standard, like thunderbolt

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lightning is a non-poo poo usb connector with extra pinouts

is there a single device that has a female lightning port besides an ipad, iPhone, or some bullshit accessory specifically for either of those

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

the best input device, the magic trackpad, has one

what really

did they update it and put in a rechargeable battery so you have to lightning charge it

does charging it make it unusable too

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sniep posted:

it's on the bottom so you cant even possibly use it while charging it

i know this was the case for the mouse but

really? on the trackpad too? jfc

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

graph posted:

no, not on the trackpad

oh, ok, there's that at least but still

i just checked and apple at least still sells its usb keyboard that has the numpad built in, surprised they didn't kill that out of spite

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Pissflaps posted:

i do not understand why you people are upset about the headphone port going

because i can't use the same headphones for my phone and my computer

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Pissflaps posted:

so you literally plug headphones into the back of an fm radio that you use int he bathroom and you expect to be taken seriously

and the dongles are $9 not $29 jesus christ

you're illiterate he plugs his phone into a radio that takes standard aux in

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
pissflaps you're a boring troll

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
courage

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
lol at these apple apologists

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
its the years two thousand and sixteen and someone is defending a tech company doing something manifestly dumb as poo poo

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

finally same

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

zen death robot posted:

is it that controversial to say that Apple did something stupid to an otherwise good phone?

would you say it takes courage to say it

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Sagebrush posted:

So just out of curiosity do the new wired lightning headphones have an internal DAC, like everyone is saying will be the big stupid audiophile advantage to having headphones only connectable through the lightning port? Or do they still use the iPhone's internal DAC and pass the audio out as analog signal on some of the unused pins?

I bet it's the latter

what does your heart tell you lol

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
dac my dongle jonny

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Shaggar posted:

but that would make the new headphones more expensive to produce

on the apple store the lightning buds and 35mm buds both cost $29