Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

edit: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I like smythe even though he likes Android, THE WRONG KIND OF PHONE :-p

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

just kidding around here. android phones aren't bad these days, it all comes down to personal preference

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Cat Face Joe posted:

whhhhhoooaaaa a galaxy...

OF PUPPIES?!?!

a cat ...........

FACE JOE ????

hahaha man i'm glad its almost the weekend!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

pram posted:

stardate 69420. upon arrival to the puppy galaxy we were hailed by a corgian diplomatic envoy

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Celexi posted:

lmao the apple users are not amused by the thread title

I like it. posted from my iPad

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

has anyone suggested ..... ... .. i dunno ... erm .... . ..... ...banning crenmob??????

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

the gently caress does any of that mean

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

why come when i try to clear out old playlists, do they reappear after i delete them

why do i have to change tags 3 or 4 times before they actually fully update

why did an old rip i deleted weeks ago because it had a skip and replaced with a brand new download with no skip somehow reappear on the very machine i deleted it from? yes i remembered to delete from iTunes cloud too

why can't you tap the ... on your phone to show the song's album anymore, instead it shows what's going to play next? which is another song on the album? but you can't see the full list of songs?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

how many gay "iTunes is broken" blogs must be written before it is fixed

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

apple music is complete poo poo and has managed to make iTunes and music.app even shittier than before

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

remember when some guy in this thread's dad was dying and he me mentioned that his dad was not an apple fan. that was funny

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

playing drums is cool

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I got rid of apple music because it makes iTunes/music.app even less usable and Siri will misunderstand a song I want played and play some random poo poo from streaming. free, legal immediate access to almost every song ever was not worth it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm the three dots in a circle that will only take you to "show album" if you click it next to the box where it shows what's currently playing and not next to the song you just double clicked on in the library

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

is the ram the reason safari gets slow and when i scroll down i see whitespace before the page fully displays and have to force quit the app to get it to scroll without that whitespace appearing

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm looking forward to replacing my iPhone 5 with an iPhone 6s.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

can't wait to hate my iphone 6+ for being fat, old, and gay

don't sign your posts

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

cremnob posted:

who is the macalope

it's me

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

itunes match has a great feature. lets say you are listening to a track you ripped in 2004 at 128kbps and you decide to replace it with a 320 version (it will be AAC on your devices and you're fine with that but you want a specific rip on your hard drive where you have archived all your music for over a decade). you delete the 128 version from your library, computer and iCloud library. then you find your new source and add it to your library. a week later when you go to listen to it, it will somehow be gone from your computer - the old source, the new source, the AAC files in the cloud, all of it, it's gone, you have to donwload it again you bitch! it just works!!!!!!!!!!!!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

does the weeknd still just write songs about drugging and raping women

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

i am going to buy a ne wphone when it is available. i wil purchase online

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

well if it has a heat sink it will be the only ARM device i know of to have one. and it will mean it's got to be clocked higher than usual since the A8 doesn't need a heat sink in any other device. basically the gaming performance could quite good. thank you for asking.

anywhere other than yospos i would be jr., sure

you didn't answer the question

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

How did they get TV so right and music so wrong?

Probably because they invented TV in-house, and they bought music from an outside source, and instead of trusting their gut, they deferred to Jimmy and his team, who are so out of it they believe that radio is gonna save the music business, as if we didn't live in an on demand culture.

What the present team doesn't understand is first and foremost it's SHOW BUSINESS! The presentation started out so slow it was hard to stay tuned in. Thank god I could surf while I watched. And if the public didn't want a huge Kindle, why does Apple think people want a huge iPad? Sure, iPad Pro does more, but the truth is the iPad is a faltering product, cannibalized by huge smartphones, and at best the iPad Pro is a niche product, made for artists and business users, and if you think we care...

We don't.

But television, we're all over that, it's driving our culture in a way music used to. Testing limits and titillating our senses, what kind of crazy world do we live in where it's more fun to stay home than go out?

And the truth is the new Apple TV doesn't include all services/providers, and I don't trust Siri, I wish there were a keystroke way of searching, maybe on my iPhone, maybe that's a hidden feature, but Apple has leapt forward and it's very impressive except for the fact that...

This is an old idea, Steve Jobs hinted at it to Walter Isaacson half a decade ago.

But give Apple props for execution.

But still the company is drifting without a center. First and foremost every product was foreshadowed in the press. If Jobs were still running the company tyrannically heads would have rolled. Where was the element of surprise? And I like that they included multiple women but so many people on stage were charisma-challenged it was hard to watch, once again, first and foremost, it's show business, content is secondary to presentation.

As for the new iPhones... They made Force Touch work, sounded like it wouldn't, but I was impressed.

And Apple is still the leader. But there's little innovation there. The limits are being tested, we're being wowed by new outsiders, Uber is cooler than almost everything on this presentation.

As for One Republic...

It's like putting lipstick on a pig. Everybody lost with One Republic's performance. Today's presentation had nothing to do with music, why include it? And if you do, why not mention the failing numbers at Apple Music? Just because people signed up that does not mean they use it. In the modern world most upgrade their software, especially on Apple devices. So people are signed up, but not trying it out, not extensively.

And multiple songs? Is this a concert or a tech presentation or..?

And who gives a whit about One Republic. It's kind of like hyping TV via "Green Acres," sure the sales are good, but there's no nougat, no meaning.

But everybody takes everything so seriously. As if we should care.

The public is disenchanted with politics and is following Donald Trump and you think we believe in One Republic, we the people who buy Apple products?

Make me puke.

Once again, a rudderless company where the design and fashion heads have too much pull. New Watch bands and colors? How about better functionality? I returned mine, it sucks.

And if I have to watch one more Jony Ive video... Who is he, Oz? Come out on stage and speak Jony, be human.

But he can't.

The formula is so tired as to almost be unwatchable.

I'm looking for innovation.

I'm not finding it at Apple.

I'm not finding it in music.

It's all over TV.

Which is why I'm excited about Apple's new television offering.

And that's just sad.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

thanks to some weird Verizon voodoo my bill will only go up $20 if I do their installment plan for the 64 6s

if I buy it up front the line access fee is $10 more and if I subsidize its $20 more

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

mishaq posted:

lol verizon is terrible

don't they all do that

anyway it works out to $105/month for 6gb data and unlimited talk/text incl the phone payment. i pay $85 right now off contract

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I am looking forward to receiving my iPhone 6s with 64 gb so I can once again take pictures

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

cremnob posted:

thats like a jew in a concentration camp eating a 5 course meal

actually it's a lot more like replacing a 15 yr old car with a brand new one. it's similar to that because it's a thing you will use daily and because smartphone tech has come a long way in the past few years.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

your example doesn't make any sense, it might work better if he never had a phone in his life? still, equating consumer tech purchases with the holocaust is bad.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Stux posted:

*walkis intoto store and smashses a mirror*

lol nicie mirroros ididot its broke now hahahagah mayeb AMEK BETTER EMIRRORS>
turn on auto correct so there are words when you post at least

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

the 5 is way more durable than the 4 thanks to no glass on the back

source: I've dropped it a bunch and I haven't had to replace the back

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

cremnob posted:

Apple Unifies Cloud Services Platform Amid Open-Source Push

Like other tech companies that run Web services, Apple has long relied on open source software. But unlike most others, Apple has largely done so secretly, hampering its hiring and causing other problems. Now some within Apple are hoping that is going to change.

The tech firm is developing a technology platform that can power all of its Web services, such as iCloud and iTunes, which have long run on separate tech platforms, say people briefed on the effort. The new platform is based on the one Apple developed to run Siri which uses open-source infrastructure software called Mesos.

Apple this summer decided to move forward with the new unified platform, although it will take a least a couple of years to implement. The system will be what’s called an “orchestrated infrastructure” that has the ability, among other things, to run Internet applications inside “containers,” which make it easier to scale the apps and make changes to them on the fly, one of these people says.

Engineering manager Patrick Gates, who is overseeing the effort, has taken much of the Siri engineering team under his wing in order to run this new cloud infrastructure group. (Mr. Gates works in an org led by Internet services chief Eddy Cue.) An Apple spokeswoman did not have comment for this article.

The single platform is designed to fix difficulties of integrating the Web services with one another and help some, like iCloud, roll out new features, something that’s been a challenge. But what may be more significant is how it affects Apple’s interaction with the open-source software community. Engineers inside Apple hope the new unified platform will give them more political clout to break the culture of secrecy around its use of open source software.

Apple has been trying to gain expertise in open-source software that powers the world’s top Internet services. Increasing Apple’s ties to the open-source community will help the company recruit open source engineers that it needs to build better Web services and avoid the kind of technical missteps it’s had with products like iCloud.

Open Secret

As Siri demonstrates, engineers at Apple have increasingly relied on open-source software projects in order to develop Internet apps the way true Web companies like Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook do. But few of those have been officially disclosed by the company. Most of them are overseen by the non-profit Apache Software Foundation. (See the list at the bottom of this article for some that Apple hasn’t discussed before.)

Among the few that Apple has been talked about publicly are Hadoop, which is data-analysis software, and Mesos, which allows developers to run thousands of containers on the same cluster of Web servers, for Siri; and Solr, which aids in the searching and indexing of text-based data, for Siri, Maps, and the iTunes store. Apple has contributed code to, and talked about its use of, Cassandra, which is a “distributed” database management system to handle structured data. (The group of engineers who provide Cassandra to various Apple Web services also fall under Mr. Gates.)

In the past, Apple has also open sourced older technologies like WebKit for Web browsers and contributed to LLVM, a “compiler” that helps developers produce basic code. It also recently joined the Open Compute Project, a group dedicated to sharing data center hardware designs, but it isn’t actually required to share information.

None of Apple’s open-source usage is surprising because it’s what all major Web companies are doing. But Apple has made a special effort of keeping most of it quiet, for reasons that go back to Steve Jobs and the priorities of its communications and product marketing groups. They believed that Apple’s products and top executives should be the primary public stars of the company, and that it’s generally nobody else’s business to know what kind of tech Apple uses. And, culturally, Apple at its core is still a device and operating system company, not a Web-services company.

This means that Apple employees attending Web technology conferences often aren’t allowed to be identified as Apple employees or present some of their technical learnings, even if it can help them recruit engineers.

Apple sometimes requires engineers submitting code to open-source products to do so through a third party rather than let Apple be affiliated with the code. One person who’s been through the process says they felt that submitting code to an open-source project like Mesos or Hadoop is generally “frowned upon” by managers at Apple. But the process has gotten easier over time, people who have participated in the process say.

Like many other conservative companies, Apple tried to talk to the Apache Foundation about making changes to its licensing terms in order to protect Apple contributions. To no avail. Part of Apple’s fear is that if outsiders know what kind of open source tech it’s using for specific products, that might make it harder to bring legal claims against people who infringe on the IP of those products.

These practices have been a drag on Apple in term of recruiting. The company has consistently tried to hire some of the best coders involved with open source tech, but in most cases those coders have refused, say people who’ve been involved in the efforts. That’s because in the open source world, engineers want to contribute code back to the community, with their name on it. It’s like a résumé-builder. (It’s how Apple found such potential recruits in the first place.)

Signs of Change

Still, there have been signs of change. In April, Bill Stasior, who joined Apple to lead Siri from Amazon.com three years ago, took the rare step of permitting two Siri engineers to disclose in a public engineering “meetup” at Apple’s headquarters that Siri was using Mesos software. That disclosure, which quickly made headlines in the tech blogosphere, disappointed some in the company’s product marketing group, which apparently hadn’t given its blessing ahead of time, says one person briefed on the matter.

The Mesos disclosure came days before the launch of the Apple Watch, where Siri plays a key role. After the launch, conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh made reference on his show to the “new back end that Apple’s used” to improve Siri, causing more consternation among Apple’s messaging minders over the initial Mesos disclosure, this person says. Since then, Apple has embraced its association with Mesos, and Siri engineers made another presentation at a recent Mesos-focused conference in Seattle.

Now, the hope is that Mr. Gates can usher in a new era of solidarity among Apple’s Web-infrastructure engineers and break down some of the restrictions on their participation in the open source community.

Selected open-source technology and support that’s used (but not necessarily disclosed) by Apple for its Web products:

• The standard Hadoop stack (for storing and processing large data sets) is used for things like Apple Maps, Apple Music and iTunes store recommendations and search. The stack includes HDFS, MapReduce and Zookeeper. Apple has a support contract with Cloudera, a firm that helps companies use Hadoop, according to two people with direct knowledge.

• HBase, a type of database that sits on top of Hadoop. It helps power Apple Maps, Siri and Apple Music.

• Elasticsearch, which helps with search indexing for Apple Maps

• Riak, a kind of “NoSQL” database, was used to develop iMessage.

• Kafka, which is known as a “message” system that helps process “streams” of data generated by Web services and can help with things like Web-search indexing. It was used by a startup called Topsy that Apple bought and integrated into its “spotlight” search feature, one person says. It’s also used by Apple Maps and Apple Music.

• Azkaban, known as a “job scheduler” that helps developers visually schedule tasks involving processing big data.

• Voldemort, a type of database.

https://www.theinformation.com/apple-unifies-cloud-services-platform-amid-open-source-push

shut up

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

PleasureKevin posted:

the iwata thing was like "hey everyone, if i could just have a second. today the CEO of nintendo died. he oversaw the Wii and 3DS. i just wanted to say thanks Iwata. so thanks Iwata."

there was like 20 people there maybe. coincidentally there was some get together of people from the international megacorp gaming company i worked for there, including my um main middle manager dude and i said hi after that.

in my subjective opinion it wasn't as catastrophic as you would naturally imagine a goon doing it, and believe me i would tell you if it was. i once wet my pants at a sleep over, i'm an open book about these things.

i still know the apple store guy i gave the flowers and chocolate apple to. he hasn't teased me about it so i presume it didn't seem pathetic there either.

i feel like both jobs and iwata stood "at the junction between the arts, technology and business" as edward land would say. that's extremely my poo poo. not just inventing or innovating on something, but pushing the needle of popular culture with that technology. i guess it's like, sure, carl marx invented communism, but it was stalin who took it all the way and made it happen!

yospos is good

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

lol updating to ios 9 made my 5 slow, animations are all jerky and poo poo and everything is unresponsive.. thanks steve

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

poty posted:

mods please ban this troll

its My Truth

i dont care because i already preordered the 6s

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

once things settle down in itunes land

that should happen any day now

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

holy poo poo purify on my iPad makes the forums useable

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ice_2_c_u posted:

i have a 5 and am fearful of this. probably gonna stay on 8.4.1 for a while, sorry tim

it was hosed up on my 5 right after I updated but it's good now. although since you can't ad block on the 5 there isn't really a compelling reason to upgrade imo

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Wild EEPROM posted:

steve's obsession with thinner devices has gone just a bit too far

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

are ad blockers for ios REALLY going to be a problem? how many people are going to actually use them? this whole thing is dumb

• Locked thread